Airport Taxes

MarcK

So I had a quote today from my travel agent for a LSD visit next year February.

The airfare aint that bad - R7950 to Brisbane via Singapore on Singapore Airlines.

But the airport taxes - - - - wait for it - - - -

R5650!!!!!!!! Almost as much as the airfare.

Me thinks airports are tearing the ass out of it considering how much it costs to eat and have a drink whilst waiting for your flight not to mention the exorbitant cost of airport parking....

Now I know why Tom Hanks got stuck at the airport terminal - - - silent protest at airport taxes....

I say we boycott (and toyi-toyi) against these ridiculous charges

I did a bit of window shopping the other day and saw the airport taxes - what the hell is going on?

Since when do you pay nearly as much in tax as for the airfare?

What's more interesting is ACSA (airports company of SA) does not readily communicate what passenger charges are being levied at SA airports.

A quick quote on a flight from Durbs - Joburg revealed airfare of R507 and airport taxes of R924 - - - apparently this includes security levies, fuel surcharges (the last I checked the price of oil had come down)...

Daylight Robbery......

Now I wonder how long it takes to get to Aus by ship.... maybe I should ask if I can travel with (or inside) my container....

Mmm, like to good old days and a holiday while your are en route!

Not a bad idea.

Those 'taxes' are a real rip-off. :thumbdown:<_<

Marc K you must be sh :thumbdown: ing me!!!

do you save money by flying direct to Sydney then on to your destination?

I would rather pay for business or first class flights than pay that tax in a stop over!!

Unfortunately, all these so called "airport taxes" are not actual airport taxes, that is why the taxes vary from airline to airline.

The bulk of thses so called taxes are infact fuel surcharges............now these vary from airline to airline....these are a rip off.

The airline that charges the least amount in terms of fuel surcharges is infact Emmirates airlines.

I am not sure how much there fares are from SA to Australia, but it might be worth your while.

There airport taxes are made up of

Airport Taxes

Noise level taxes ( thats for cities like Sydney!!!)

Agricultural Tax

Tourism Tax

When you have a domestic sector, a portion of GST or VAT

and the list goes on and on !!!!!!

Everyday the fuel surcharges change , its a nightmare.

Hate to disappoint you all, but even the cruise ships have climbed onto this "fuel surcharges story" .

Me as a travel agent, I have an issue that we have now become tax collector when we issue an airticket ...ridiculous.

Beleive me its a worldwide problem, all the airlines are doing this , the fuel surcharges are charged per sector, and each airline charges what they want.

Some sectors are as high as USD $240.00 per sector, so 4 secors almost USD $1000.00 and then that excludes departure taxes/airport taxes etc etc

Edited by Enrica

So I had a quote today from my travel agent for a LSD visit next year February.

The airfare aint that bad - R7950 to Brisbane via Singapore on Singapore Airlines.

But the airport taxes - - - - wait for it - - - -

R5650!!!!!!!! Almost as much as the airfare.

Me thinks airports are tearing the ass out of it considering how much it costs to eat and have a drink whilst waiting for your flight not to mention the exorbitant cost of airport parking....

Now I know why Tom Hanks got stuck at the airport terminal - - - silent protest at airport taxes....

I say we boycott (and toyi-toyi) against these ridiculous charges

have you checked out emirates flights via dubai? We found this to be the cheapest when we went on our LSD.

Hi thanks for the pointers.....

long story short we have already booked and paid for our LSD trip in August ( we paid R12090 each from Joburg-Brisbane /// Sydney-Joburg) but we are now taking mother in law over as well so that was the quote for her ticket. The only reason we have gone via Singapore is we are doing a 10 day detour to Phuket on our way back from Aus.... Kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.....

Anyway lets hope the prices drop a little....

its pathetic. im flying back to cape town in december for new years.

$1970 for the flight. $1009 airport taxes. this is on singapore airlines. next best was SAA believe it or not, then Qantas. Emirates was by far the most expensive.

Unfortunately, Emmirates from Australia to SA is by far the most expensive, but I think from SA to Australia they are extremly comptetative.