CAPETONIANS

Karen-in-Brisbane

If you are headed for Perth, you picked the right spot! The Fremantle doctor picks up every afternoon - a nice smooth wind - perfect for windsurfing and kiting! You will no doubt be running into Omzig (my hubby) in the surf! :ilikeit:

That's exactly why we've chosen Perth as our new home city. We want as little disruption as possible to our lifestyles (if that's even possible :D ) when we land that side. The more familiarity there is the faster we'll settle.

Apparently in Melbourne you can 'volunteer' to crew on the yachts on weekends. So you can go sailing for free ;) The number of yachts on the bay is amazing. Lots of quays and there seems to be the traditional Sunday races looking at the yachts out on the water. Sometimes I miss those days... Because of the bay, there aren't a lot of waves, but you get a nice chop when the wind comes through and I think you can really fly when the white horses are running :) (ok, that means the wind is blowing more than 15 knots so there are white-capped waves and you will be lifting the yacht a little as you go over the waves - smooth riding :D)

Apparently in Melbourne you can 'volunteer' to crew on the yachts on weekends. So you can go sailing for free ;) The number of yachts on the bay is amazing. Lots of quays and there seems to be the traditional Sunday races looking at the yachts out on the water. Sometimes I miss those days... Because of the bay, there aren't a lot of waves, but you get a nice chop when the wind comes through and I think you can really fly when the white horses are running :) (ok, that means the wind is blowing more than 15 knots so there are white-capped waves and you will be lifting the yacht a little as you go over the waves - smooth riding :D)

Hi Polly,

Than sounds perfect...

I look forward to the day when my loved ones and I can look over the bay, in Melbourne... Hey, I wonder if my son knows about the voluntary crewing on the yachts? Sounds like a fabulous way to spend the occasional Saturday or Sunday!

Zack, Im assuming you are a man since your name is Zack. But if im mistaken, I apologise.

Responses like yours are what make me feel so trapped here. Most people dont believe me when I get upset about these incidences. Even my husband didnt really, until I was harrassed a few time while walking with him. Now he understands.

Im not over the top with what I said. It is all true. Im a young 26year old woman. And I DOOOO GETT HARRASSED WHERE EVER I GO!!!! I live in the CBD, work at UCT and spend most of my time around the southern suburbs. Like I said, if you are wealthy, then it doesnt affect you.

last week, while riding home on my scooter, I had a knife waved maliciously in my face by a taxi driver. And almost every single day when I ride to work, If i stop at the traffic Light, and a taxi stops next to me - The driver has some rude (sexual connotations) comments. It really upsets me and ruins my day.

How can I express my femininity and feel sexy if I am targeted constantly? I spent 3 years in Bloemfontein before moving to Cape Town, and it was so different. I was a confident woman because I was never bothered there. I usually try not to pay too much attention to my appearance now (what a loss for my husband) and never wear revealing clothes in an attempt to be overlooked, but it doesnt help. I am very street savy. never carry a handbag, walk quickly, dont make eye contact with anyone - everything to avoid it.

And I always see other woman been harrassed as well when I am walking in the street and it makes me feel sad.

Maybe Zack, its because you are with your children that you do not get bothered.

As a woman, I must agree, females do get harassed a LOT more. Men mostly don't believe it because it generally doesn't happen to them or when they are around. My sister used to live a 5 minute walk from her place of work. She had to start using her car because of all the harassment. She is 29. Cars would follow her and hoot, shouting things at her, etc.

It is sad... Right city, wrong country... :(

Dare I say that I don't want to be in South Africa by the time the next election happens! ANC Youth League's Malema and other fruitcakes with their 'kill for Zuma' mentality was the last straw for me... :stretcher:

the ANC told malema publicly to shut up. they dislike him as much as we do.

Speaking of Malema... Here is an article on his matric certificate...

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2415519,00.html

Edited by Willie en Liezl

Too little too late... thanks to Malema and the ANC (Zuma) who silently supported his toxic drivel until they were forced to shut him up, we now have thousands of youths & others who feel justified to 'kill for......' (fill in the blank.)

Quite frankly, I no longer want to be here while this country bleeds, and bleeds, and bleeds...

:stretcher:

I am afraid to get old here in CT or anywhere in SA for that matter.

My kids are grown and educated and one already in Auz so it is just time to go for me.

Fern

• 1 month later...

We can all give a multitude of reasons for leaving - I have had my business in Cape Town robbed twice - I was held at gunpoint and robbed and tied up in a B&B in Jnb during a business trip, my husband was in a car accident where the other car was completely at fault but 'cos the 4 guys in the car were locals - he feared for his life and did not stop ( imagine if that was my son at 18? I ask you ) I just feel that if we don't feel safe now - how will it really be in 5 or 10 years time ....for our kids.......

I have yanked my head out of the sand and taken stock - We're out of here :ilikeit:

2 Girls who used to be in my class in Gr. 5, both applied last year for Stellenbosch Univercity and Hostels, to study Medicine. Both are lovely kids. The brown girl got into an "elite" hostel and accepted for the studies on a B-average score, but the white girl were turned down, she had an A-average for exactly the same subjects. Explain that to me.... So what future does my 2 kids have. They'll probably leave the country like most young qualifieds do, so I'm being pro-active: move now and have your kids home longer...

Oh yes, I'm so gatvol for 10year olds saying: "Jou ma se ......." and the bad roads, especially in the Platteland.

Jitterbug, I clearly have no idea and sorry if I offended you. I think maybe we are so used to it by now it doesn't affect us anymore, maybe because you are from Bloem you struggle to addapt. Whatever the reason, you have the right to be upset and it is, or should be, shockingly unacceptable to our society. I have a more sheltered life it seems, my wife and I are fortunate not to have the challenges you seem to have, yet wealthy we are not, just older and more stable.

Maybe it is because my life for the past 8 years has been work and kids mostly that I've missed how Cape Town has changed. When I'm not slaving away at work or running after brats I spend time on the South Coast, Mosselbay/Hartenbos, I never ever venture to the southern suburbs of Cape Town.

Z

• 3 months later...

The actual answer is:

"Because we can!"... Most people cant, so they have no choice, but to try and keep you here.

Such an old post coming back to life :ilikeit:

I agree with what someone has said before. If you are wealthy, you can to a degree buy your safety. There are some fantastic security estates here where you can have a great life (for now). On the inside of the estate, you can still walk around even after sunset... as a woman, you can still go to the parks with your children without feeling scared in any way (obviously during daytime).

Unfortunately you can't stay inside the estates all the time, so when going anywhere else, there is the risk of crime.

I think it is possible to stay in Cape Town and be happy and live a relatively safe life... but if one has the choice, it's probably best to get out of here before it gets worse.

I've read somewhere ( I think it was on this forum?) that South Africa is sinking like the Titanic, and Cape town is simply the upper deck.

Perhaps if one didn't have children it would still have been ok to stay here, cause lets face it.. one does give up a lot family wise when one leaves. But we feel we have to do it for our children. Safety above family. What a sad situation we all find ourselves in...

Hi

I grew up in Cape Town - met my husband in 2005 and immigrated to Melbourne in 2006. Best thing I ever did. My family is still in Cape Town and YES I DO MISS THEM TERRIBLY - every week I hear about someone being attacked etc. ITS A CRYING SHAME. I love Melbourne because it is reminiscent of Cape TOWN and YES we DO GET GUSTING WINDS. Not the kind that blows your skirt over your head though but yes we have strong winds. So to those who wish to immigrate - I say Go Ahead. You wont regret it. If my whole family could come here I would be very happy. Am presently waiting on PR to be issued. Just rcvd Police Clearance from AFP.

Hi

I have just moved to Perth with my family from Cape Town. As much as I miss Cape Town, I have realized after 3 months of living in a country that is not tortured by its past and demographics, that Cape Town is not the answer. As pretty and vibrant Cape Town is, it is still sinking like the rest of South Africa into a third world quagmire. The crime, grime and dangerous roads are getting worse. It has also become a magnet for rich and poor alike looking to escape the problems in the rest of SA. This has resulted in overcrowding on the roads, in the shops on the beaches, in fact in all public spaces. Squatter camps are growing at an alarming rate on all sides of the Peninsula (Hout Bay, red hill) that is contributing to crime spreading into all neighbourhoods. When I first visited Australia 10 years ago the contrast between Cape Town and Perth was far more subtle now it is glaring.

Many of my friends in SA still think somehow it will come right and I was mad to leave the “opportunities†SA had to offer. As a middle class professional the only opportunity I can see is to pay more of my hard earned cash to SARS for nothing in return. On top of that the costs of education, housing, healthcare and security are spiralling out of control. You need to be fabulously wealthy to stay in SA to keep a barrier between yourself and the creeping crime and grime. The middle class is being squeezed on all fronts; educational opportunities for your children, living costs, tax, job opportunities, and targets for crime. The problem is that we rationalise it away, I did for years. Cape Town is beautiful, it’s our home, our family is here, my money is here, my house is here etc. The reality is that middle class South Africans are like frogs slowly being boiled in slowly increasing increments. Its only when you jump out of the pot that you realise how hot you were.

This is not a post to justify my decision. I just feel a huge sense of relief that for the first time I can plan more than 2 years into the future and that my kids will compete on an equal footing.

Moving to Cape Town is just delaying the inevitable! SA has passed an inflection point and will never recover to resemble anything approaching normality. I don’t think there will be a crash just a slow grind down for the next 40 years.

Michael

We have 3 children ages 6,7&9. In about 10 to 12 years they will have finished school an spread their wings and hopefully go to a university.

:unsure: Will they be able to get a proper education in SA? :unsure: Will they be able to get decent work in SA? :unsure: Will they have any kind of future in SA?

:whome: If the government openly admit they have lost the fight against crime but law abiding citizens are not allowed to defend themselves and criminals are allowed to run free? :lol: If you have to build a prison for you and your family to try and keep them safe.

If this is the future you want stay in SA! ;)

But my children deserves better and if it is in my ability i will do whatever it takes to provide it for them.

:( We may not live like kings but we will be living. :P

At least i will be able to sleep at night knowing my family is safe and they have a future ahead of them. :ilikeit:

HOOR-HOOR! I couldnt have said it better, Mate. :blush:

Hi all

I second that - this thread just keeps getting better.

Karina

This is 100% on the dot exactly precisely how I feel and for sure my reasoning for cashing up EVERYTHING and starting over!!!!!! Thanks guys! By the way, love the Titanic thing with CT being the upper deck!! I am unfortunately sitting with a sister and parents where money is not an issue at all!! For us, we barely make it each month. They KNOW they can buy themselves to get out of the country. We need to go now while we have the opportunity......And then they are all dikbek because we are going......anyway. Let me not spoil my lovely Friday. I'm SOOO glad its not so hot today! Can't wait to get home, have my Hunters Dry and play with my kids!

Thanks for the responses. I agree with you all but my Boss was trying to be helpful and suggested we consider moving to CT instead of leaving the country. He felt it was far better than here in Durban and it would at least cost less etc....

We do not have small kids - only a 19yr old out of three kids who is dependant and therefore can apply on my visa.

In Durban the education system is a complete mess. The health system is set to implode... The place is filthy!

He said CT was a wonderful place and we should look at moving there as a better option for less crime etc.

I am just keen to get Capetonian's views on this as I see many on the forum........

Thanks - keep the opinions coming!!!

K

Hope this can help.

We moved from JHB to Pretoria about 10 years ago because of crime. (At the time Pretoria was safer, cleaner and the Gov schools were still OK) When the crime became a problem in Pretoria, we moved to Cape Town. Was very hard for me for the first 2 years, but now I am totally in love with the Cape. Unfortunately, my husband has a very specialized job and could only find work in the UK. We've just returned from a 3 week holiday/investigation trip to AUS and I never thought I'd say it but I'm ready to leave my beloved Cape Town.

Cape Town is also no longer the place it used to be when we moved here, but its a 100% better than any other place in SA. A lot of Gautengers are "semigrating" to Cape Town just to move or emigrate out of the country a few years later. I agree that Capetonians live in a fools paradise.

AUS on the other hand is amazing. Could easily raise my children there and grow old stress free. At least its a first world country and things work there.