CAPETONIANS

Karen-in-Brisbane

THis message is for those living in Cape Town. I was advised to consider moving there as it is much better than Durban. Cleaner and better in all respects.

Can any of you comment on why you are leaving SA???

We have 3 children ages 6,7&9. In about 10 to 12 years they will have finished school an spread their wings and hopefully go to a university.

:unsure: Will they be able to get a proper education in SA? :unsure: Will they be able to get decent work in SA? :unsure: Will they have any kind of future in SA?

:lol: If the government openly admit they have lost the fight against crime but law abiding citizens are not allowed to defend themselves and criminals are allowed to run free? :lol: If you have to build a prison for you and your family to try and keep them safe.

If this is the future you want stay in SA! :lol:

But my children deserves better and if it is in my ability i will do whatever it takes to provide it for them.

:lol: We may not live like kings but we will be living. :ilikeit:

At least i will be able to sleep at night knowing my family is safe and they have a future ahead of them. :ilikeit:

My boss also asked me the same question. My answer is that it's a lifestyle change for us. We haven’t been affected by crime so it’s really a reason for us to leave.

Hi

Venom79; the most accurate description you are going to get... the reasons are all similar... Would like to add something though... I'm ex Jhb.. living in Cape Town for 18 years... The reality of SA politics is in all the other Provinces... in the Western cape we sometimes tend to live in a fools paradise... due to the demographics of the province...

I would say that Cape Town is much better.... the wind and the weather will make you deliver your DIAC application personally... still cannot get used this climate... miss Jhb weather... viva Jo'burg.... they still have the best evenings... but can't really enjoy them... you are a prisoner in your own country...

maybe you should come hear on an LSD...

Regards

Joefromsa

My boss also asked me the same question. My answer is that it's a lifestyle change for us. We haven’t been affected by crime so it’s really a reason for us to leave.

Not a easy question. I am an ex Durbanite, living in Cape Town now for 15 years. Like the post above, I am not leaving because of Cape Town, but because of an education for my kids, If you have mega bucks you can afford al the school fees, else it is very difficult, especially in the Southern suburbs. My other reason for leaving is to be closer to my family in Australia. If money is not a issue, than Cape Town isnt either, so come to Cape Town (I need a buyer for my house :lol: ).

Karina

Worrying stories coming from the schools - both private and public, proliferation of drugs - especially methamphetamine (tik), kids probably unsafe playing on the streets in most suburbs. Serious crime not a major concern, although the last 2 months have been quite bad in Melkbosstrand with weekly attempted break-ins at our house, sometimes while we are clearly inside and awake, and many house robberies in the immediate neighbourhood. Could be a transient phase though -- most houses here still don't have proper burglar bars, and I haven't seen any electrified fencing in the neighbourhood yet.

Leaving mostly because the lifestyle is perceived to be better across the ocean. Also, cannot justify paying high taxes, and then still ending up paying for private security, private hospitals and private schools.

I agree with Venom79 about the education uncertainty: having interviewed a few dozen job applicants with recent engineering degrees from Cape universities, I've come to the conclusion that the higher education standard has been successfully equalized with that of the rest of the continent.

Thanks for the responses. I agree with you all but my Boss was trying to be helpful and suggested we consider moving to CT instead of leaving the country. He felt it was far better than here in Durban and it would at least cost less etc....

We do not have small kids - only a 19yr old out of three kids who is dependant and therefore can apply on my visa.

In Durban the education system is a complete mess. The health system is set to implode... The place is filthy!

He said CT was a wonderful place and we should look at moving there as a better option for less crime etc.

I am just keen to get Capetonian's views on this as I see many on the forum........

Thanks - keep the opinions coming!!!

K

Yes, Cape Town, in my opinion must be the best place in SA, must agree with you on Durban, but for the Curry Cup nothing much going for it. I've lived here most of my life, never been a victim of serious crime and have a great lifestyle. The problem however is my kids, I was fortunate enough to get a good education and work experience before everything became AA and BEE, my kids will have a huge disadvantage in education and the workplace which is no fault of theirs, so ja this is a sacrifice I'm making for them. I'll most probably be worse off.

Z

Guest EVERWHAT

That is no reason to stay ... It is more of a ..."We haven’t been affected by crime"... YET! You are a lucky one!! :lol:

Well, we haven't been affected by serious crime ourselves yet, but we hear and read about murders, hijackings, break-ins etc., all around. Our safety I completely give God the honour and thank for. Yet, you definitely do not feel safe on the streets when you go for a walk with your little ones and see 'them' walking in pairs around in the neighbourhood, clearly 'doing nothing'. Or your frustration levels soar when 'they' give terrible or no service and couldn't care less. Or when you open your garage door to go out with your kids and before the door properly opens, one of 'them' stands inside your garage, next to your car, trying to make you open your window (wether to beg or ...?) !

I do not think Cape Town will be far behind on Gauteng and Natal concerning crime. The greater diversity of people and tourism (the 'image' of SA) in my opinion still kind of 'protects' things to go too bad here too quick. It is still relatively safe, relatively clean (not everywhere) and of course beautiful nature. But, as has been said, be prepared to weather (pun intended) months of wind, then one or maybe two beautiful, calm autumn months, then again three to four months of cold and rain, then cold and wind, before the wind and heat starts !

I've dreamed about living in Cape Town for very long, now I've been living here for eight years and beside the stunning nature everywhere, I would not shed much of a tear to go. But as CT is kind of the 'last resort' save the West Coast in SA, the only option left is OUT !

Besides CT, you might still win some time going up the West Coast, to Saldanha, Langebaan, etc., but I don't think SA have much time left economically or politically, so I'd suggest keep the option of emigration open.

I have been living in Cape Town for 5 years now and I still have not settled in. I am irritable most of the time - I HATE the wind, I hate that you can only enjoy the beautiful parts of Cape Town if you are wealthy, I hate that I get harrassed on the street every single day by street scum because I am a young women. I hate that I cant take a walk (instead of driving) to the shop on a sunday morning without been cornered by two teenage thugs threatening me for the money I apparently have in my pocket, saying "give it or else". The first week i was in Cape Town, I was mugged with a knife.

These are just some of my experiences of cape Town. I know alot of other people are very loyal capetonians, but thats because they are happy to lock themselves in their cars and houses and spend all their money on what they need to live like that. And just turn a blind eye to all the crime and poverty around them.

I want to walk and cycle safely and go climb the mountain and walk on the beach at sunset without fearing for my life.

I moved to Cape Town from Jhb 6 years ago, it's the best city in the country, the best place to be. Like most who live here, I LOVE Cape Town! We are leaving ZA because of the crime consciousness in South Africa, and the violent - almost psychotic flavour of crime here.

Also, we are at the age where our eventual retirement is becoming a reality, and I am scared to become old and vulnerable in a country where the weak and vulnerable are preyed upon and not taken care of. I want to enjoy my golden years with dignity, and when I die I hope to die with dignity too. But, until then, I want to be FREE to walk outside accompanied or not, and to feel safe again.

As a born and bred Capetonian, have to agree with most of the positive things what was said above. There is no place like this in SA... dare I say, on Earth ;) Great people, great lifestyle, excellent jobs, good food, etc, etc... South-Easter ;) ...but therein lies the danger... it's easy to forget that you're still in SA... until you open up a newspaper and read about a driveway hijacking in Durbanville... this time closer to home... another armed robbery in Claremont... Cape Town becoming Joburg?

This is still SA, and as long as you're here you're going to have to lock up, look around, and watch your back... if you're unaffected by crime, you're lucky, and you're defying the odds, fact... Whether you can live with that uncertainty or not, is up to you... even in Cape Town :)

My main motivation to leave SA is the fear of growing old here. I have visions of being treated cruelly in some awful home. ;)

I want safety and security and a better life-style.

With regard to Oz I am afraid the money will be insufficient and we will struggle. I was told we will always feel like misplaced South Africans. I would like to try to become a well placed Australian though .....

I am irritable most of the time - I HATE the wind..

Why not take up Kiteboarding? It's one of the nicest sports around and you're 'safe' on the water from all those buggers! ;) ...Just pulling your leg.

I absolutely LOVE summer in Cape Town. I'm an out and out sea addict...I live for surfing and kiteboarding (The more wind the better). It's going to be a REAL sad day when we leave!! Hopefully Perth isn't too different.

Grew up in Cape Town. Spent most of my life there. Honestly I feel people who believe there is less crime there are living in an illusionary world. You cannot even walk safely on the beach.

http://www.news24.com/Rapport/Nuus/0,,752-...2344797,00.html OR http://www.flyafrica.info/forums/archive/i...hp?t-12049.html

On our last morning after flying down because of the attack, we helped a teenager who had been mugged with his girlfriend on the beach. The police were required to take the girl home, but they just left him there with no money, phone or any way to get help.

The best schools and best education is to be had in Cape Town. But the violence at the universities is also escalating. If you aren't rich, you can't protect yourself or your children, and even money isn't a real guarantee either.

We moved from Jhb to CT 4 years ago. I love it here, but it's in the wrong country.

Our reasons are the same as everyone else's - I want to be FREE and for my children to compete on a level playing field.

There have been about 5 armed robberies in my neighbouring streets in the last 5 months ;) . I won't go into the garden with my kids when my husband isn't home - Jhb by the sea....

It's a crying shame :)

I forgot – we don’t want to be in Cape Town with the 2010 world cup. :blink:

I forgot – we don’t want to be in Cape Town with the 2010 world cup. :blink:

I'm with you on this one! I do however hope the 2010 world cup boosts the property market a little as we'll be selling our properties just before the event.

It is really sad reading through this thread! What a wonderful city and spot on the planet to live, only to be ruined by greed, corruption and non-existent moral values :blink:

I'm with you on this one! I do however hope the 2010 world cup boosts the property market a little as we'll be selling our properties just before the event.

It is really sad reading through this thread! What a wonderful city and spot on the planet to live, only to be ruined by greed, corruption and non-existent moral values :)

It is sad... Right city, wrong country... :(

Dare I say that I don't want to be in South Africa by the time the next election happens! ANC Youth League's Malema and other fruitcakes with their 'kill for Zuma' mentality was the last straw for me... :blink:

PS: When IS the next election scheduled for? Is there a date yet? I have not read a newspaper for about 3 weeks - doing the ostrich thing at the moment... :blink:

Oh and regarding the Cape Doctor, I LOVE the wind..! I know this is not a popular opinion, but I really enjoy the wind, especially on hot days, as the heat and I are not the closest buddies. Gimme winter in Cpt any day! I am told that Melbourne and I will get along just fine... ;)

It is sad... Right city, wrong country... ;)

Dare I say that I don't want to be in South Africa by the time the next election happens! ANC Youth League's Malema and other fruitcakes with their 'kill for Zuma' mentality was the last straw for me... :blink:

PS: When IS the next election scheduled for? Is there a date yet? I have not read a newspaper for about 3 weeks - doing the ostrich thing at the moment... :blink:

Oh and regarding the Cape Doctor, I LOVE the wind..! I know this is not a popular opinion, but I really enjoy the wind, especially on hot days, as the heat and I are not the closest buddies. Gimme winter in Cpt any day! I am told that Melbourne and I will get along just fine... :)

Why Melbourne? Is there a lot of wind as well or just cooler in general?

I also loved the wind in CT. Was the thing I missed most when moving to Gauteng. You will definitely love Melbourne then. The gusts come through nice and strong :blink: Get decent, strong winds here

I have been living in Cape Town for 5 years now and I still have not settled in. I am irritable most of the time - I HATE the wind, I hate that you can only enjoy the beautiful parts of Cape Town if you are wealthy, I hate that I get harrassed on the street every single day by street scum because I am a young women. I hate that I cant take a walk (instead of driving) to the shop on a sunday morning without been cornered by two teenage thugs threatening me for the money I apparently have in my pocket, saying "give it or else". The first week i was in Cape Town, I was mugged with a knife.

These are just some of my experiences of cape Town. I know alot of other people are very loyal capetonians, but thats because they are happy to lock themselves in their cars and houses and spend all their money on what they need to live like that. And just turn a blind eye to all the crime and poverty around them.

I want to walk and cycle safely and go climb the mountain and walk on the beach at sunset without fearing for my life.

I find this a little bit over the top, I take a walk with my kids often escpecially in summer and have never been threatened. In every city in the world there are areas where you should be careful. Ditto for the mountain and the beach. Important I think is not to look for trouble no matter where you live in SA, always be aware and stay away if it place looks dodgy (ie do not take a walk if you are living in the Flats). The wind does get a bit much especially Nov/Dec where you can have 2 weeks straight with 65k/h SE, but then again come Feb you pray for the wind to come back as it is blistering hot.

Z

Why Melbourne? Is there a lot of wind as well or just cooler in general?

Hey Jacques,

Until Polly responded I didn't know that Melbourne also offers glorious gusts! Yippeee!!!! But, I did know that it is one of the coolest States in Aus, and a VERY compelling reason for being my number one destination in Aus! That, and the fact that my precious son lives in Melbourne - waiting for his mom to join him in Australia.

Why not take up Kiteboarding? It's one of the nicest sports around and you're 'safe' on the water from all those buggers! :D ...Just pulling your leg.

I absolutely LOVE summer in Cape Town. I'm an out and out sea addict...I live for surfing and kiteboarding (The more wind the better). It's going to be a REAL sad day when we leave!! Hopefully Perth isn't too different.

If you are headed for Perth, you picked the right spot! The Fremantle doctor picks up every afternoon - a nice smooth wind - perfect for windsurfing and kiting! You will no doubt be running into Omzig (my hubby) in the surf! :ilikeit: