Panasonic Breadmakers

polly

They seem to be the most popular / most recommended, but where do I find them?

My google search seemed to show it is discontinued?

Dont know where you can find a panasonic but wanted to ask a related question: How useful are bread makers? I am tempted to buy one and looked at them at Game but didnt want to just buy another kitchen tool to sit in the cupboard. Are they easy to use? What is the bread like? Any personal experiences?

thanks

Al

AlisonW, they do work, provided that you follow the recipe to the letter. Manufacturers test their machines and write recipes accordingly, but there are also a great number of recipes on the web that will work.

The main thing is this: You know exactly what goes into that loaf of bread you are busy baking. No artificial this or enhanced that.

There are two types. One bakes a bread that looks like a small haystack and there will be a hole in the bottom where the dough paddle sits. The other type bakes a bread that is "normally shaped", but it could have two holes in the bottom section because these machines have two paddles kneading the dough.

And don't expect the machine to produce a loaf of bread within 5 minutes. No, it can be a slow process - up to 4 hours long. But hey, you don't have to do much! Simply add the ingredients, switch on and the machine will do the rest. There are even delay timer settings for your convenience.

Some of the new models claim to bake a bread within 1 hour, but I have no knowledge of them. And when you select a model, don't let the price dictate your choice. Look at the manufacturing quality of the product - particularly the baking tray and dough paddle. Are they solidly made? Can you buy individual spares if necessary?

Make sure the machine can handle whole wheat bread and seed loaves as well. And nowadays, many of them will cook jams too. So, it can be a wonderful tool/gadget. Below is a picture of my one, a Zojirushi, and a bread that I baked. I picked up the machine in a second hand store for $10 US. (The bread is looking like "a small haystack".)

Zojirushi_Bread.jpg

Edited by Janneman

So anyone want to sell a second-hand breadmaker?

We are going through two loaves a day. I figure I can put one on during the night for lunches and then make another during the day for when everyone comes home.

*We are in Melbourne....

Edited by polly

Hi Allison

I bought a Panasonic Bread Maker from Game, 7 years ago. The best kitchen gadget i ever bought. The bread is a win every time. I make hot cross buns, foccia bread, pizza dough, plenty of recipes. The machine also has a seperate nut, raisin dispenser. I payed about R1200, expensive but worth while, sometimes Game has specials on them going for R1000.00 It takes about 4 hours to make a loaf, just add ingredients and everything is done. But do yourself a favour DO NOT buy a cheaper version. Friends and family have been so impressed with my bread that they went and bought a cheaper version eg. AIM and a few others, and their bread always turns out small and hard. We have tried to figure it out but we have come to the conclusion that it is the quantity of yeast and flour, just not right.

Nothings nicer than waking up in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread. Can program to mix and bake the night before. Although the bread has no preservatives, it does not keep long, great though for toast, that's if it gets that far.

Blue

Edited by blue

I am the breadmaker "par excellence" in our family.

My wife doesn't know how to hold her head right when she makes a loaf in our Panasonic, so calls the professionals in each time (me!)

I stick to a good ol' fashioned South Australian mill that's been making flour here since 1899.

The stuff is called "Laucke" flour and the German family still own it and run it, ever since it began.

It makes a great loaf in our Panasonic.

I got a bonus back in 1998 and spent it on a Panasonic breadmaker that lasted for about 8 years till I pensioned it off and got a new one with all the features. I paid about A$250 for it about 2 or 3 years ago.

Our loaves work out to costing around 80c a loaf, freshly baked and good wholemeal or multi-grain, whichever flour I choose.

A regular fresh loaf at the shops would cost around A$3 to A$4.

So . . . . basically, you've gotta do the sums, work out whether or not you chew your way thro enough loaves each week to save the $$ to pay the cash outlayed for the breadmaker.

Also, you get what you pay for.

If you pay "budget" for an el-cheapo breadmaker, don't be disappointed if you get hollow loaves or they won't come out of the pan without a crowbar needed, or the pan buckles when it gets really hot due to the poor quality steel. etc.

We went to our local electrical shop to buy one.

Well, David Jones and Meyers are opening this week here, so maybe they will have opening specials, otherwise I will go see at Camberwell Electronics... Unless Target has them. BigW didn't :ilikeit:

Bob - do you know a model number or something - would like to see if I can get one here in South Africa before we fly.

Many thanks

Hi Polly,

I see you are in Melbourne. Try the Breville Kambrook Factory Warehouse. You can pick up bread makers for as little as $49 brand new. Their stuff is mostly ex display. I don't buy electrical appliances anywhere else. And you get the full manufacturer's warranty. There's one in Huntingdale (near Oakleigh) and one in Fitzroy.

Huntingdale

261 Huntingdale Road,

Huntingdale Vic

P: 03 9543 8199

F: 03 9543 8199

Fitzroy

427 Smith Street,

Fitzroy Vic

P: 03 9417 7126

F: 03 9416 4713

Cheers, HB.

I swear by my breadmaker. I bought my first one in Dubai 15 years ago, its was a Hitachi.....excellent

That one died 2 year ago, and I bought a Breville, must say if I could have replaced my Hitachi , I most certainly would have.

I make bread , pizza dough, jam, pasta and glazes in my bread maker.

The bread from the bread machine is much cheaper and far healthier option that the shop bought varieties.

Some even come with timers, so you can have fresh bread when you wake in teh morning.

Yumnmie

Hmmm, maybe I should ask my brother or a good friend if they want to sell theirs, both have them sitting unused in their cupboards. Anyone used a Russell Hobbs one? Comments on good or bad?

This website might help in your decision making, however it's probably aimed at the American market. But, like I said, there might be useful information there - they have the Panasonic as second best.

Bread Machine Reviews

A few years back 'Choice' magazine did a comparison of bread makers available in Australia, in all aspects Breville came out tops! We are on our second Breville machine, we wore the first one out! Would buy another, without any hesitation.

You guys have inspired me. I love the idea of making home made bread but the only time i tried it by hand it was so hard it was inedible. Hubby called it Dwarven bread and even soaked in the soap it was BAD! But this sounds great. I will go and have a look at game and see if i can get one before we go!

Al

Bob - do you know a model number or something - would like to see if I can get one here in South Africa before we fly.

Many thanks

Suzanne!

I just hopped up to have a Captain Cook (look) at the model number.

SD 251

I'm not too sure if Panasonic still are making that model number, but if they are, I recommend it.

I just tried to Google "Panasonic" but there wasn't any joy in finding a breadmaker on the Panasonic Australian website.

Maybe they're still for sale in South Africa with a bit of luck?

HI

we bought a Panasonic SD-255 in April this year - can't remember the price- quite stiff though, might even have been R2000... but worth every cent.

Tafelberg Furnishers were the only place that stocked them.

We do get Breville appliances at @Home (have the Espresso Machine and juice extractor) but alas the bread maker is not part of the range they stock.

FWG

Do you really mean you don't have to do ANYTHING?? Just put the ingredients in any old how and turn on the machine? Is it really that easy?

If so, I am also off to buy one as the thought of fresh home made bread and independence from the bread producers over hear sounds just great!

Edited by celeste

Do you really mean you don't have to do ANYTHING?? Just put the ingredients in any old how and turn on the machine? Is it really that easy?

Yes! :hug: Add wet ingredients and then add dry ingredients. Make double sure that the yeast doesn't come into contact with the liquids, especially when you are using the delayed timer option. Switch on. That's it.

A word of advice: Don't let the bread sit in the (still hot) machine for too long after the baking cycle has been completed for it will start to sweat and become soggy. Remove the bread and wrap it in a dishcloth until cooled down. However, if you leave it wrapped in cloth for too long, the crust becomes very crispy, which is fine if you like it that way. Put it in a plastic bag just after the bread has cooled down if you want a softer crust.

If you really want the yummiest garlic bread, add about two heaped tablespoons of crushed garlic to your ingredients, yum yum yum!

Thanks a lot! Gonna bum the credit card off hubby and go shopping as soon as I can ;) I know how to get to Oakleigh, so with the Melways, I am sure I will find it. Are they open weekends too? I will give them a call.

All these combinations sound so great. I can't wait to make a raisin bread, but hubby doesn't like raisins, so I guess I will have to eat it all by myself.... :D We are so excited. I think hubby will end up annexing it. Thanks for all the advice and recipes. We are huge bread lovers.

Hi Polly,

I see you are in Melbourne. Try the Breville Kambrook Factory Warehouse. You can pick up bread makers for as little as $49 brand new. Their stuff is mostly ex display. I don't buy electrical appliances anywhere else. And you get the full manufacturer's warranty. There's one in Huntingdale (near Oakleigh) and one in Fitzroy.

Huntingdale

261 Huntingdale Road,

Huntingdale Vic

P: 03 9543 8199

F: 03 9543 8199

Fitzroy

427 Smith Street,

Fitzroy Vic

P: 03 9417 7126

F: 03 9416 4713

Cheers, HB.

If so, I am also off to buy one as the thought of fresh home made bread and independence from the bread producers over hear sounds just great!

Yup . . . that's all you have to do!

You just need to hold your head at the right angle to get a great loaf a few hours later.

I followed Bob's advice and we bought a bread machine about 6 months back. It's the best thing we bought and use it almost daily. I also find the flour from Laucke Mills excellent. They only cost about $15 - $19 for 10kg, depending on where and which type of mix you buy.

We couldn't find a Panasonic when we were looking around. We got a Salton (George Foreman) on special at Harvey Norman, and it does everything we need, even makes delicious fresh rolls.

I will definitely recommend getting a bread machine, much cheaper in the long run than buying fresh bread.

Thanks a lot! Gonna bum the credit card off hubby and go shopping as soon as I can :D I know how to get to Oakleigh, so with the Melways, I am sure I will find it. Are they open weekends too? I will give them a call.

All these combinations sound so great. I can't wait to make a raisin bread, but hubby doesn't like raisins, so I guess I will have to eat it all by myself.... :D We are so excited. I think hubby will end up annexing it. Thanks for all the advice and recipes. We are huge bread lovers.

Hi Polly,

They are open on Saturdays I from 10am to 4pm. Its great shopping

Cheers HB.