Adelaide assistance

Marius

I settled in Adelaide South Austrlia in 2005 and may be able to give people wishing to arrive and settle here in Adelaide some advice and assistance where I can.

Edited by gotoaussie

I settled in Adelaide South Austrlia in 2005 and may be able to give people wishing to arrive and settle here in Adelaide some advice and assistance where I can.

Hi Marius

Thanks for your offer. I think it is a great idea to have a discussion space specific to a region. I will definately be making use of this facility in the near future. I expect to hear the results of my SIR visa application by end April. I don't want to get too much information at this stage and get too excited, just to find that my visa is not approved at the end of the day. Hope to chat to you soon with my visa in my hand.

LeonB

• 4 weeks later...

Valie,

Sorry for the late reply. There is a BBQ arranged by the South African Network in South Australia the 9th April, chewck out the events in South Asustralia section on thi site for more. Then, the same organisation have regular informat get togethers every last Thursday of the Month at:

Hackney Hotel

95 Hackney Rd

Hackney

Adelaide

I am still finding out ab out more regular meetings over weekends. I have regular contact with a family I was involved in getting here and settling and a few I have met by chance. I am sure the 9th April's braai will be a good place to arrange something more frequent. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to arrange something sooner.

Where in Adelaide do you live ?

Valie,

Sorry for the late reply. There is a BBQ arranged by the South African Network in South Australia the 9th April, chewck out the events in South Asustralia section on thi site for more. Then, the same organisation have regular informat get togethers every last Thursday of the Month at:

Hackney Hotel

95 Hackney Rd

Hackney

Adelaide

I am still finding out ab out more regular meetings over weekends. I have regular contact with a family I was involved in getting here and settling and a few I have met by chance. I am sure the 9th April's braai will be a good place to arrange something more frequent. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to arrange something sooner.

Where in Adelaide do you live ?

Thanks Marius

We certainly will go the the braai on the 9th - the meetings during the week aren't very good for us, one of us works evenings.

We are in Sheidow Park until this friday then move to Hallett Cove

Vaalie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the midweek get togethers also do not work for me as I work fairly long hours and prefer the weekends. I will find out more and post something here, otherwise I am sure we can arrange something more regular on weekends the 9th.

PS: I lived in Carletonville for the first 17 years of my life, I see you lived in Glenharvie.

• 2 weeks later...
Vaalie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the midweek get togethers also do not work for me as I work fairly long hours and prefer the weekends. I will find out more and post something here, otherwise I am sure we can arrange something more regular on weekends the 9th.

PS: I lived in Carletonville for the first 17 years of my life, I see you lived in Glenharvie.

Hi

Would you believe I did a few years at Carlton Jones (early 80's) and 18 months at Carltonville College!!!!! Small small world.

Its amazing to chat to someone in Aus that has actually heard of Glenharvie.

I was at Hartebeespoort Dam in January and boy has that place grown since I was last there.

Looking forward to the braai, how many people go?

Hi Vaalie,

I know Glenharvie well, some of my friends lived there. I was in Careltonville Hoerskool in the 80's and was born in Carletonville nogal. Small world indeed.

Yup, Harties is not the place it used to be. We lived there for 10 years from 1993 - 2003, it was lovely and quite. I was there in 2005 just before I immigrated and could not believe the size and pace. It has lost it's country feel town and character I think.

I am not sure howmany people are coming to the braai since it is actuall arranged by the South Australian South African Network and I just passed their invite to me along on their request, I know of about 10. We'll see Sunday.

See you Sunday

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there

I would like to known which bank you recommend in Adelaide and if I can apply for an account from South Africa.

PS: whenfor our medicals on Friday.

See you soon

Shane

Shane,

All major banks are represented in Adelaide. As far as I know you can not open an account over the internet, just start the process and finalise it once here. I tried to open one before I came over and could not find a bank in the internet at least that allowed it. or provoded the facility. I opened one the day I arrived, it took about 30 minutes. It took longer to count the stack of travelers cheques I had than to opn the acount.I am with the Police Credit Union, there are apart from banks several credit unions to choose from, similar than banks but different in structure with all the same services. Check out the internet for different options on banks and credit unions, the most common and biggest bank I think is probably the Commonwealth bank. Most people that get granted PR still in RSA open an account here when they come into Australia to "activate"their PR.

I will in fact ask a friend that works in the banking sector on Monday about the bank issue and if you can open an account before arriving.

Best of luck with the move, it will be hectic from now on but well worth the effort :ilikeit:

Shane, we opened a bank account with ANZ bank before we arrived. We did it online via their website. You can transfer money into it, but you can't access it until you have arrived in Aus and presented the letter they will send you by post, together with your passports, at the local branch. They will then activate your account.

Hi Annette,

You are of great help. I will try to open an account at the same Bank

Thank you

Shane

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marius,

Can you give us an idea of good areas to look at housing. Don't mind going out of town as long as it is still easy enough to commute to work if needed.

Don't have mega dosh so somewhere reasonably priced would be nice :sleep1:

Hope to go over at the end of July to activate visas (if they come through by then) and want to have an idea of where to look.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paula

Paula, I'll sommer jump in here if you don't mind... you will have to be a bit more specific. How much is reasonably priced to you? Here in Adelaide, the average house price for someone buying for the first time is about $270 000 at the moment. However if you want something more than just a "starter home", I would look for something around $350 - $450 000. Do you know where you are going to work yet? How long do you envisage commuting every day - 30 min, 45 min, an hour? This would make a big difference to where you will be looking at as generally speaking, housing gets cheaper the further away from the CBD you move. Would you like to be near the sea, in the hills, what type of housing style are you looking for - Victorian, modern, seventies, fifties, "villa" style or townhouse? By "good area", I assume you mean it in the South African sense of the word - middle class, no "skollies", neat gardens, two cars per household? The suburbs here in Australia aren't quite so homogenous as we are used to in South Africa and society in general is more egalitarian - we simply don't get the very clear separation between "good" suburbs and "not so good" suburbs that exists in South Africa. However, there are some areas where there are more social problems and deprivation and it is these that you will want to avoid.

Best thing really is to use your time while validating your visa to drive around as many areas as you can. Adelaide is not a very big place at all and even the most outlying areas can be reached very easily within an hour's drive of the CBD.

These are my favourite areas(totally subjective), where you might find something in the above price class (some will be at a stretch, but still possible):

Golden Grove

Modbury Heights

Highbury

Rostrevor

Athelstone

Burnside

Glenunga

Pasadena

Belair

Coromandel Valley

Glenalta

Hawthorndene

Blackwood

Bellevue Heights

Aberfoyle Park

Happy Valley

Clarendon

Hallet Cove

Woodcroft

Aldinga Beach (land or new houses)

I haven't been everywhere yet, so that's it for now. Mount Barker is also a good option, as it has a very good link into the city via the freeway and it is a lovely town. House prices are still affordable, but on the rise.

I suggest you look at www.realestate.com.au, type in your criteria in terms of price, number of rooms etc. and see which suburbs come up. Be very careful though, remember estate agents have special wide-angle lenses that make everything look much bigger than it actually is. Also, check the size of the land. Happy hunting! :)

Hi Annette,

Thanks for the details. Will definitely have a look at the realestate website and see what is available.

I would personally love to go completely out of the main areas into the country and have a small farm :whome: with lots of space to have a veggie garden and maybe a couple of farm animals (not sure how the kids would like it though ;)) Kids would probably want something close the the beach :blush: and hubby would probably want something near to where he will find work.

Guess all these requests cannot be filled at the same time :ilikeit: so will probably opt for somewhere in between if possible :holy:

Alsgal,

There are some really nice areas outside of town if you want what you mention. The best is it is completely safe, I have been past some of these places and the only fences are there to keep animals in not crooks out :stretcher: . Best is to some have good look yourself when you are here and decide.