Who's been to the Greedy Goose restaurant

Guest Bronwyn

I was just wondering whether anyone has tried 'The Greedy Goose'?

We have been watching the series 'My Restaurant Rules' here in S.Africa on the BBC Food Channel with avid interest, but I already know they won the series. :thumbdown:

Thanks, Bronwyn

We haven't and can't afford to, but maybe one day when our ship comes in ... :thumbdown: It comes highly recommended and I know you have to book a long time in advance to get in. :huh:

By Annette's comments I assume it is a fairly expensive place. Since i am a poor immigrant :D:huh::thumbdown: I will have to pass untill my ship also somes in. I wait for it every weekend at Glenelg. I have a few friends that might be in the top end market as far as restaurants go, I will ask them this week if they have been there (I and might want to provide a poor immigrant a feed ).

You guys are worrying me! :( No, seriously, I have heard that emmigrating sets you back 10 years financially. Would you say that's fairly true? If so, in light of what's happening with the Rand we are going to have to go 15 years back, which spells disaster for us.

I thought when you started to earn dollars all your financial problems were over! ;)

Or do you think it depends how you lived before you moved over?

I must say when we were there in Nov/Dec last year we did find the restaurant prices very daunting, always converting back to Rands made every mouthful expensive. Also the wine glasses were always half empty (or is that half full?) - I found that a bit irritating, +-100 mls of wine for more than the price of a nice bottle of Nederburg Baronne just got to me. I thought we were in wine country and the stuff would be gloriously inexpensive....

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject? :)

Bronwyn

PS. You should know we are currently quite serious foodies and would rather eat out than most things :whome:

Edited by B H

Hi BH

I will try and dispel some of your fears for you. Ordering a glass of wine in a restaurant is expensive, usually worse than ordering a bottle. Restaurants often charge 150% to 200% more than the retail price of a bottle of wine. :( However, most restaurants have BYO :) , bring your own, even if they are licensed. Soooooooo, you just have to ensure that you take your own bottle. Just check with them whether they charge a corkage fee and how much it is. We went to one, a friends choice, where they wanted to charge us $5 corkage per person, :whome: there were 10 of us, we got up and walked out!

"It" restaurants charge an arm and a leg, because they can get away with it. If it is a restaurant where you sit down at a table and you are served at the table, you pay a lot more, because of the cost of labour. You often also find, the more expensive the place is, the smaller the helpings are! They can charge you around $15 for a starter, $30 - $50 for a main and again around $10 - $15 for a desert. Wine would probably start at around $8-10 per glass and from $35 for a bottle of wine.

We go out to dinner every Saturday, with friends, mains are around $15 and desert is $6, a coffee is $2 and a softdrink is also $2, however with the softdrink you can buy a 1 litre jug for $6, which is better. They have a house white and red wine for $12 per litre. So it does not send us to the poor house.

We have found that pubs, RSL's, Footy Clubs, and Bowling Clubs offer the best value for a meal out.

We certainly have quite a few favourite places to eat in Melbourne which does not break the bank! ;)

Mara

You guys are worrying me! :( No, seriously, I have heard that emmigrating sets you back 10 years financially. Would you say that's fairly true? If so, in light of what's happening with the Rand we are going to have to go 15 years back, which spells disaster for us.

I thought when you started to earn dollars all your financial problems were over! ;)

Or do you think it depends how you lived before you moved over?

I must say when we were there in Nov/Dec last year we did find the restaurant prices very daunting, always converting back to Rands made every mouthful expensive. Also the wine glasses were always half empty (or is that half full?) - I found that a bit irritating, +-100 mls of wine for more than the price of a nice bottle of Nederburg Baronne just got to me. I thought we were in wine country and the stuff would be gloriously inexpensive....

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject? :)

Bronwyn

PS. You should know we are currently quite serious foodies and would rather eat out than most things :whome:

Bronwyn , as we came on a Business Visa it was ONE year before we earned ONE dollar.

You know what its like. For ONE year everything we purchased we did the Rand/dollar calculation.

EVERYTHING was expensive.

Now five years down the track our interest in the Rand is negligable. We find eating out reasonable, but to this day find the price of wine in a Restaurant too expensive. Many restaurants will allow you to take your own wine and charge a corkage fee. When we go out with our children we will go to a TAVERN. This is a local institution, with reasonable food at a reasonable price. You will find a local tavern is virtually every suburb.

Accept the fact that your first year in Ozz, irrespective of how quickly you earn ,is going to be one of the most financially daunting tasks you have ever done. I think the 10 year guideline to financial restoration is probably spot on. We have been able to attain the same lifestyle we had in SA(took 5 years) , but we do not have lost the luxury of savings and investments. This will be the next five years.

It is also EXTREMELY difficult to obtain Business Finance in the beginning. You will have to self fund the Business. Initially the banks would not touch us. Now-they are throwing money at us. (interesting-guess who is punting for my husbands Business now?_Investec!

Bronwyn,

The above comments are all true. The first thing you have to do when you arrive is NOT convert everything to Rand, break the calculator, even if you have converted Rands in your wallet. Like mentioned, you pay for upmarket restaurants, like anywhere in the world. Good family meals at very resonable prices are at the local taverns and restaurants, if we eat out we choose these and the costs are very reasonable. We eat out once a week at the beach and it never cost us more than $ 70, but we dont take the wine because we have to drive :whome: . You do for sure take afew years back financially when arriving here, but gain it back again, plus as bonus you have a free and safe environment to live in :) . You soon get "tuned"to the cost of living here and know if things are prices well by experience rather than converting to Rand. It is not at daunting as you might think. My comments about poor immigrant was tungue in the cheek, but out of principle I seldom visit there so called upmarket restaurants as I think you get overcharged for the same quality of food you can get for a fraction of the pricce somewhere alse and you get smaller portions due to the mentioned input costs they have. But other people feel they spend money well in such places,that is their choice and I certainly have no issue with that. At the other end of the scale we often go with with fish and chips bought form the local fish, chicken and chips shop wrapped in old fashioned paper and eaten on the beach by hand like many other aussies do. Cost - about $ 15. You will see how soon you get tuned to the costs here, as long as you stop the Rand / Dollar conversion ;)

Bronwyn,

Here is the Greedy Goose Website link: The Greedy Goose

You can get a copy of the menu there, but it's very slow to load. In short, all starters are $15, all mains $27, all side dishes $6 and all desserts $15. That's about normal for a more upmarket restaurant here in Adelaide. There are more expensive ones though. Have a look at this: Windy Point Restaurant. This place is not too far from us, practically just down the road. It's the one place we're saving up to visit. The views are just stunning and the roof, which is a big skylight, opens during summer so that you are dining under the stars. Amazing stuff ... still not the most expensive though - by a long shot! Some of the more famous chefs around here do degustation menus for about $90 per person... :(

In general, we find eating out in Adelaide very reasonable. Remember though, that we did live in the UK for a long time! We eat out a lot more regularly here than we ever did before. The options are myriad and we have not had a bad meal yet, in fact, our meals have all been above average to excellent. And this ranges from a $7 meal at the central market (still our favourite venue) to around $20 per person. We tend to take our own wine, which can be ridiculously cheap, especially if you buy the cleanskins from the wineries, or even in bulk... :whome:

In terms of financial hardship, we think it takes about 2 years to recover from emigration to an extent where one can see the light. ;) In general, I think it takes about 5 to 7 years to get to a good level (where you can build up savings and investments again). We are lucky this time that both of us are quite a bit further advanced in our careers than we were the first time we emigrated (to the UK), which makes a big difference. My hubbie is just a year or so behind what he was in the UK now, and things are looking good for the future. I was lucky enough to get a better paid job than over there :P I can't really comment on how long to get back to the same level as in SA, as we were dirt poor and struggling when we left there 8 years ago. It was only by an amazing stroke of good fortune and a nice windfall that we ever scraped the money together to leave... financially we have been better off than in SA for quite some time, but that's just our own circumstances. When it comes to lifestyle and quality of life though, it's only since arriving in Australia that we feel that we have the same now as we had in SA ... :)

Edited by Annette

Wow, thanks everyone for your advice, I really found this very interesting! I will go back slowly over it all & think about it. One thing off the top of my head though - Annette I agree with you, I think most of us were dirt poor 8 years ago, no matter where we lived! Having a young family, overpriced cars and a huge mortgage, furniture to buy, etc really takes it out of you! It's only as you mature you start earning better (but by then all your furniture has become old rubbish like ours , haha! ;) )

I think it's going to be very hard to switch that calculator off in my head, it's always working overtime. But I'm going to give it a good try! :holy:

Thanks again, Bronwyn :ilikeit:

If those are the prices at the Greedy Goose I must agree with Annette, it is quite reasonable and you get far worse. I might now even give it a try sometime, I need only a small boat to come in for that :whome: since my Rand / Dollar calculator is liong broken.

Yes, everyones circumstances are different, personally we have gained back the same level of general living within 1 year if you take material possesions and security as the only guide, which we dont :blush: . In terms of overall gain we have gained thousand fould in quality of life, personal and career security and just a better future since arriving here. And THAT is for us the primary yardstick to measure, not only materialistic gain as this is a relative term and the definition changes from person to person. If that makes any sense.

Break the calculator, it will drive you mad :ilikeit: .

Let us know how you go with getting to Adelaide.