shonab: Hi from London where it's not so sunny!

shonab

HI

We would just like to introduce ourselves; we are Shona and Dean living in London, previously from Randburg. We are 99.9% of the way there to our 136 visa – had an email 2 days ago from our CO saying as our application is in the stage of finalisation do we want our visas in our UK or SA passports – yeah! Hasn't been too long though, lodged on 4 Feb 2006, but a lot of work!

We have been watching from the background for help on timelines etc and have had a lot of help from the forum users – thanks! I have also learnt a lot from plenty helpful folk about life in Oz generally - once again thanks!

I was extremely interested to read a posting from Sandy last night, and the replies she received.

We are pretty much in agreement with everything said. (don't know how to put the quote in here)

We have been in the UK since Jan 1999, we've been home for plenty of holidays and each time we leave it gets harder. Life in the UK is overall pretty decent but as the years have gone by what's lacking is more and more important – we have 2 little kiddies and they don't have a garden, even though we earn well, they don't have suntans, they see the sun for way too little time a year – 7 to 9 months of cold and gloom, they don't have enough outdoor life overall. The future for our children is also depressing – the schools that care and try have their hands tied by the government, there is no need for the kids to try and succeed because everyone passes, it would be bad for their little psyches to be branded a failure so just move them all up a grade. If they do try to excel they are teased for being swots, this is why the latest newspaper reports tell us that 28% of 14 year olds in the UK can't read or write properly – I can't believe that a 1st world country has a statistic like this.

And apart from the kiddies I can't handle the lack of space anymore – this island is way too crowded I can't wait to move.

By the way, we also follow the UK expats forum, the difference in attitude over the move, settling in, any problems etc is amazing. Everyone is much more positive and balanced over here.

Regards

Shona

Welcome Shona - I'm so glad that you've found the forum helpful. I relied on the internet so much when I was comtemplating my move, and I know that it was an invaluable tool for me - that's why I got involved with this one when we started up - the chance to give something back :ilikeit:

Have you thought about where in Oz you are looking to settle? I know exactly what you mean about the claustrophobic feeling - I was born in Scotland and moved to South Africa as a young girl, but still visit Scotland from time to time to see family (my parents are back there now), and every time, within a week, I'm craving space and sunshine!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you - looks like you're on the last leg of the process now - well done!

Cheers

Ajay

London's a great place . . . . . to visit. My wife, Ginnie, saw three West End shows (Lion King, Chicago, etc..) and got a taste of the vibrancy that picks up in the evening there, but I wouldn't live there full time for quids!

My sister had just bought an old house, built in the 1880's, terraced, down a narrow street in Clerkenwell. To park her Saab was pot luck. Some days you might get a spot outside her house, other days nowhere at all down the whole street!

She paid GBP 280,000 for it (A$700,000 or ZAR4,000,000) for a two bedroomed, kitchen, lounge room with small back yard . . . . . and that was a good price! The whole area is full of foreigners from A to Z, many of whom can't hold a conversation in English, which makes it hard to communicate . . . not the safest of places at night-time.

I know what you mean about being claustrophobic, as I live on a few acres in the Adelaide Hills and be able to look for miles in 360 degrees without seeing much sign of habitation. You can still find some cities in Australia with areas like this, where it's peaceful and quiet, within a half hour's drive of the city centre. You just have to keep on the look out.

Anyhow, which part of Australia are you heading for, as it's a pretty big place and what line of business or job are you doing?

By the way, we also follow the UK expats forum, the difference in attitude over the move, settling in, any problems etc is amazing. Everyone is much more positive and balanced over here.
Well now, that's certainly a compliment worth highlighting. Riekie, Dedrei, and the rest of the gang, kudos to you for a forum well run!

:ilikeit: Hendie

PS. Welcome to SAAustralia Shona! :ilikeit:

Hi, good luck with the final stages. I also follow the Britishexpat forum which is alot busier than this one, but you are quite right, they sure know how to moan! This forum is much more positive. Because of what where we have originated, we appreciate all that is good about Aus and dont dwell on few bad things that are pretty much the same the world over.

Hi Shona,

Good luck on the last leg of your journey, and also on the first leg of your new life :thumbdown:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Shona,

Welcome and roll on the visa, I say! :whome: As one who has recently made the move from the UK after 7 odd years there - you won't be disappointed! :)