Microwave Dinners in Oz?

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I got married 3 years ago and we’ve had chicken livers every night for the first 2 months, until I discovered Woolworths’ microwave dinners. I work relatively late hours and so does my husband and I am a disaster in the kitchen and I therefore rely on good old Woolworths to keep us going.

Would I be able to find ready made (prepared) / microwave meals that is also nutritional in Australia, (more specifically in Adelaide / Melbourne)?

Thank you!

Pippa

Hi Pippa :ilikeit:

Both of the major supermarkets, Woolworths and Coles, stock a variety of microwave dinners. There is also quite a large range of weight watchers/lean cuisine types which I buy fairly regularly. In my opinion nothing comes close to Woolworths SA in terms of food :ilikeit: however there is no shortage of variety here and I'm sure you won't have a problem finding something to suit your taste.

Julie :ilikeit:

Hi Pippa

Oh girl, you had me laughing........ Make your way to Melbourne and I promise you free cooking lessons!

Yes, as Jules said, there is quite a variety of "TV dinners" available, some quite edible, others pretty gastly, it all depends on one's tastebuds.

Mara

Hi Mara,

Yes, it is terrible :) and my mother has tried numerous times to teach me, but I guess I just to have an interest in cooking.

At least I can make a lekker Kerrie & Rys :) , but my husband won’t appreciate Kerrie & Rys every evening!

Cooking lessons in Melbourne at your lovely home in Sunbury is a date!!! :blush-anim-cl:

Jules, thank you for putting my mind at ease! :blush:

Regards,

Pippa

Hi Pippa

If you only bring one cookbook with you, you need to get yourself a copy of "Cook and Enjoy" by HJ de Villiers. I bought one for each of my sons and they swear by them.

Our cooking lessons are booked!

Regards

Mara

Mara - I'll second that. Our copy of "Kook en Geniet" is virtually falling apart through overuse! :thumbdown:

Pippa - hou moed, daar is lekker voorafvervaardigde maaltye hier in Adelaide (nie altyd Mikrogolf nie, party maak mens in die oond, of eet sommer koud), maar as een wat GLAD NIE kon kook toe ek getroud is nie, kan ek se - daar is hoop! My familie dink ek is nou die beste kok in die wereld, maar glo my, dit het nie oornag gebeur nie. Ek kon letterlik nie eens 'n eier kook nie (en ek maak nie eers 'n grap nie!).

Mara, can I be the Adelaide chapter of your cooking school? No worries, mate - tussen my en Mara sal ons jou gou uitsorteer (en ek is die luiste kok ooit, praat van Short-Cuts - ek ken hulle almal!) :huh:

Hi Annette, we will definitely have to get together, with our "Kook en Geniet's"

I attended Huishoudskool in Potchefstroom, and Kook en Geniet was our only prescribed and allowed recipe book. AJ de Villiers that wrote it actually used to set our Cookery exams for us, both the theory and the practical. Suffice it to say that for our Std 8 practical exam we had to cook and serve a sit down dinner for eight people consisting of 5 courses. Sooooooooo, interesting to say the least.

There is still nothing to me like a "lekker bord gekookte boerekos, smullend, en lekker.........."

Mara

Hi Ladies,

Somehow, I overlooked your replies. My mom is also "Kook en Geniet" crazy! Can't wait for those cooking lessons.

Have a great day!

Pippa

Hi Annette, we will definitely have to get together, with our "Kook en Geniet's"

I attended Huishoudskool in Potchefstroom

Hi Mara

Ek wonder hoeveel mense kan die Huishoudskole onthou. Net jammer dit het dood geloop

nie lank voordat ek Hoerskool toe is nie. Ons het ook 'n Huishoudskool gehad in Christiana.

My Kook en geniet word ook baie gebruik. Ek glo weer aan 'n resepte boekie wat uitgegee

is deur twee van ons skool (hulle kom van die huishoudskool) se twee onderwyseresse.

"Kook in klein maat"

Ek is juis op die stadium besig om hom top my rekenaar te sit, want my aanstaande skoon

dogter (jammer Tanya) is ook "useless" met kos maak. Die resepte is regtig vir net twee persone...

maar kan darem verdubble word om 'n groter hoeveelheid te maak.

Hoop julle kook lekker in Melbourne

Luv

L'mari

Hi Lmari

Yes, the Huishoudskole were an interesting concept. Potchefstroom was the only one that actually went to matric, the others went to Std 8 and if the students wanted to do 9 and 10 they had to transfer to Potch.

I had two older sisters that went there and a niece, who happened to be in the last group of students to go through to matric doing the "huishoudskool" route. The class after them the school was changed into an ordinary high school. It is now called Ferdinand Postma.

We were told at the time that they were just too expensive to run and that it was also a problem with the curriculum, as the students basically had to be boarders, in order to participate. At Potch we only had about 10 day scholars.

Your cook book for two people sounds ideal, especially for young married people.

I only have two sons, but they were taught the basics, and both of them can certainly look after themselves in the kitchen.

Mara

Were in Oz you moving to? If it is Perth let me know and i will invite you and hubby for a very nice lamb butt :ilikeit:

Made one last night in the weber :o