TELEPHONES / INTERNET WHERE?WHAT?HOW?

2hattingh's

Hey all, we are alive and well... but now for the big Q.... :blush:;)

When it comes to internet and phones which network is the best, cheapest to use , as we will use skype, facebook and emails and also call south africa alot!!!what is the best option...contract? or pre-paid?

all remarks welcome to help us make the big choice

thanks

melissa ;)

Hi,

We stay in Sydney and applied for an ADSL2+, bought a modem, connected it and we very happy $75 + pay additionally for calls made, I heard many people say this is very expensive.

We get 16GB peak hours and 30GB after hours, we had it for app 5 months for 2 people and have never exceeded the limit and we are on a LOT

As for Skype a very good option, what we find is depending on the connection to SA etc when they use a data card the compatibility is noticeable, delays etc

As for mobile phones, you have to do research, check out the plans, different networks and 'caps', it takes time but rather do it in the beginning as opposed to signing up for 24 months and regretting it at a later stage.

When I arrived I used pre-paid and it cost me a lot of money. I learned quickly though

You get pre-paid phone cards which gives you very good value for money, worthwhile checking it out

Hope this was of some value to you

Cheers

Jo

HI

We are using Vodafone pre-pay. We recharge once a month with a $49 cap wich gives us $340 talktime. We phone SA (mostly cellphones) at least 2-4 times a week after 7 at night in OZ and then it is long calls aswell - about 15 -30 minutes. It is definatly worth a try.

Wilma

I use Vodafone prepay ($29 or $49), best value. However Telstra have better coverage. For internet have a look at the plans from iinet.

we also use teh vodafoneCAP $49.00, its a great deal, but coverage is a problem, when we leave town we lsoe signal...seems to be about 5km radius...dont want to change the plan now cause everyones got the number...

but wish we ahd of gone with the telstra pre paid...we ahve a firend who although he doesnt get the extra dollars, calls are much cheaper and works out the same, then hes go the extra coverage...

internet..we hae been shopping around and still cant decide..telstra seems to want you have a cell and land line for you to get a better deal with them...

any one else with internet ideas??? we also ahve a problem being on 457 no one is keen to sign us up for a contract except for the dodgy ones....and yes, you get them here too....

lyall, just buy a telstra sim card for $2 & when you set it up just port your number. Make sure you've used up all your credit as you will lose any left when they port the number. It's very quick, mine was ported in under 2 hrs, no need to notify anyone of a new number. We are on the Telstra freedom package, prepaid. Both hubby & I get 5 numbers we can list & all calls & sms's to those numbers are FREE! great as we can phone each other as often as we get the urge :ilikeit:

For anyone looking out for cheaper landline costs, check out something called "The Buzz Box" they had it on 7todaytonight yesterday, & they recon it saves a fortune in call costs. Most people said their bills were under $20 includind international calls. I must still check it out myself, but checking out this forum is first on my list for today!

hey aramat, thanks for that handy piece of info..as soon as this months credit is used up i am going to do that...you made my day!

Glad I could help!

Just checked out THE BUZZ http://www.thebuzzcorp.com/index.php

You need to have a landline in place, you pay for the line rental, then plug in the buzz box, & they bill you for the calls. It's a very advanced version of Voip. I'll first see what I actually spend on calls & what the call costs are to RSA as we are currently using calling cards, if it's cheaper we'll get one!

The Buzz still costs $0.128 cents per minute on the cheapest plan. Thats $3.84 per 30 minutes.

Iinet is much cheaper in that you get 30 minute phone calls to RSA for $1.98. Thats $0.066 per minute.