Teaching in Australia

Sean Udal

Follow up to this topic since 2008.

Hi, both my wife and I teach in Australia. I teach at a Catholic school www.shalomcollege.com and she teaches at Bundaberg Christian College. www.bcc.net.au

The big change in Australia is ACARA. You need to study this doc: http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_resources/The_Shape_of_the_Australian_Curriculum_V3.pdf

and these: http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/ and http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/GeneralCapabilities/Overview/General-capabilities-in-the-Australian-Curriculum

This is critical if you plan to teach in Australia.

Feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 1

Thanks will come in handy!

i am registered with vit, but can also work in a science/ chemistry lab - what i have done in SA.

But who knows what the future holds...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello to all

Im new on this website and my partner and myself and interested in moving over to Australia.

Im investigating studying a PGCE through UNISA - my question is whether it is a recognised qualification in Australia.

I have read some previous posts and all answers lead to yes, however those posts were dated some 2-3 years ago.

Any information/feedback would be a huge help =)

• 3 months later...

Hi. Rather have a look at studying an australian qualification through a university here. Most of them do distance education. It would be much better because then you won't have to worry about getting it accredited. Only problem is, it will cost you more. I am not sure about the PGCE anymore. I did a degree through Unisa and it was accredited.

Hello to all

Im new on this website and my partner and myself and interested in moving over to Australia.

Im investigating studying a PGCE through UNISA - my question is whether it is a recognised qualification in Australia.

I have read some previous posts and all answers lead to yes, however those posts were dated some 2-3 years ago.

Any information/feedback would be a huge help =)

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

The info for the teacher registration is helpful thanks. I have a BEd and we are hopefully moving over to Goldcoast in January 2017, just have a couple questions:

1. Is the registration valid for a year from date of registration, in other words if I had to register now (August 2016) would it be valid until August 2017?

2. In SA we have a website, ISASA, that shows all the available teaching positions of the private schools in SA, is there a similar website advertising available teaching positions in Aus (state or private) or is it better to send my CV out to all the schools when I get there in Jan? Just not really sure what the best route to get a job would be. People in SA have said that they have been offered teaching jobs in Aus while still in SA, just wondering how this is possible.

Thanks.

@Caycee do you already have a visa?

Also what age group do you teach so that we can advise better.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

@ Caycee - Good questions. I would be interested to hear replies.

I am a FP educator and have taught for close on 20 years. We are looking to move Feb 2017 and I heard in NSW I have to have a Working With Children Certificate before I can register to teach.

Any responses and advise greatly appreciated.

@RYLC we don't have visas yet but according to our migration agents we should have everything by Dec/Jan. I teach senior primary (my qualification covers 10 - 15 year olds). Any advice would be appreciated ?

Edited by Caycee

• 2 months later...

I am a pre-primary school teacher and i have just submitted my EOI asking for Queensland sponsorship.  An agent has already contacted me saying it is mandatory to be registered with the Queensland teachers college.  I have spent the whole day online and i cannot find a way of registering from SA.  i have my AITSL assessment but this does not seem to help.  any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I registered with queensland this week, it required docs to be posted to their offices, and a payment of $225 or $250.

we're waiting for them to access it now.

just keep digging on their website, registration button is there, just well hidden

Shoe - so many questions Im going to answer what I can from my experience. 

So registration : NSW is bostes, and can only be done there , also need working with children check. 

Queensland is : Queensland Collge of education - can be done from here 12 weeks. 

Teaching website - try seek- also check smart educators for private schools. 

Aitsl is for visa purposes - each state does its own registration. 

Ppl are offered jobs while still in SA - but it is unlikely according to agents. 

You get provisional registration and once you have thought for a year or it can become full registration - think you have 2 years but might be mistaken. 

Regarding Pgce, they accept but total study most be 4 years and you need 45 days teaching prac! 

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can assist:

I would like to commence my studies for a PGCE, but I'm unsure as to which direction I should be heading in.

I have a BCom Marketing degree,  and I'm not sure if I should do my studies as an international student, at a Australian institution, or through a South African institution.

If I study internationally through a Australian institution, how will I be assessed regarding practical hours?

I have no teaching experience.  I was thinking of teaching in the intermediate phase, from 8 years old upwards I think?

I realise high school teachers are in high demand, but I don't see that as a good fit for myself.   

I realise I sound like a complete newbie to the education system, because that is what I am. I'm just a mom of two small children, who still have to make it in this world, and if I can make the world a better place for them by qualifying myself as a teacher, that is what I'll do. And if that enables me to move my family to Australia, I see no better motivator.  Just need some guidance and direction...

Primary School teachers are not on the skills list for any state so you won't get a visa with that.  Only Early Years up to age 8 I think and high school teachers will get you in the door.

Your prac hours are THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your qualification as far as getting a visa is concerned.  You have to have the right number of hours so probably best to study in RSA for that reason unless you have plenty of money to take a chance and come to Australia on a study visa (not first prize in my opinion).

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice RYLC. I'm clearly so emotional and confused over this, that I'm over looking the basics. 

• 2 months later...

Hi studied through UNISA 2 years ago. I only did their 1 year course (short course) for Early Childhood Development for 2-5 year olds. (programme for practitioners in early childhood development). We will be moving to Melbourne this year. Is it worth me getting my certificate assessed? I currently volunteer at my daughter's preschool and have done so for the past 3 years. Will i also need to do an IELTS exam? I didnt need to do one when we applied for our PR visas as i hold a british passport. I"m looking at starting out as an assistant teacher in the preschool sector. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9 hours ago, LoriL said:

Hi studied through UNISA 2 years ago. I only did their 1 year course (short course) for Early Childhood Development for 2-5 year olds. (programme for practitioners in early childhood development). We will be moving to Melbourne this year. Is it worth me getting my certificate assessed? I currently volunteer at my daughter's preschool and have done so for the past 3 years. Will i also need to do an IELTS exam? I didnt need to do one when we applied for our PR visas as i hold a british passport. I"m looking at starting out as an assistant teacher in the preschool sector. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The ladies at pre school, who assist the teachers, normally all have this qualification. https://www.seeklearning.com.au/providers/oten/courses/certificate-iii-in-education-support

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much. I do plan on studying part time to get the proper qualifications once i'm settled in Oz