Carlos Carvalho: Introductions

Carlos Carvalho

Greetings Everyone

We, Carlos & Liza Carvalho, never thought of one day being in a position to even consider migrating Down Under (I would imagine that we are not alone in this kind of thinking!). But the time has come and we are extremely excited of the adventure before us (process has just started). We have two youngsters aged 9 & 5 and firmy believe that their future is what matters.

Liza is a RN and I am a Project Engineering & ILS Manager and planning to relocate to Adelaide on Liza's 457 visa (I suppose I'll be doing the Daddy Day Care thing for a while!). We are fortunate to have colleagues/ friends based in Australia (some in major centres and in regional areas and some still in South Africa). So most of the questions have and are being answered (Thank You Emil & Carmen Muller, Sjean Latsky, Nicolette & Frans Meyer, Ivan & Ria Lovell).

Bye for now.

Hi Carlos & Liza - welcome ! I am getting seriously concerned that everyone in Pretoria is thinking of moving to Adelaide !!! :whome: What's the deal? We are going in December and I know of at least six other forumites now heading to Addie! Let us know if we can be of help, I've collected LOTS & LOTS of Adelaide info and we live in Lynnwood. Our Kids are 9 & 11. Regards, Bronwyn :ilikeit::blush::holy:

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there Carlos, Liza and kids,

Welcome to our forum ! Oh wow, what a fantastically gorgeous surname ! I am not sure whether Calvalho is Portuguese (or maybe Spanish) - but seeing as you are Saffers and we have such a fantastically interesting and powerful South European community back in SA I am going to take a chance :ilikeit: and say Bom dia. Boa vinda a nosso forum. Good luck with all that lies ahead and please let me know if I can help. Looking forward to seeing you here with us.

Love

Sunshine Sister

:blush:

Carlos...are you the son of Sylvino? Although he is De Carvalho. I am sorry to bother you if it is not but your family just sounds like it could be his son.

Hi Bronwyn

To quote Jeremy Mansfield: "I am technologically challenged." I've replied to Riekie and Monique and not really sure where the heck the mail has gone. I hope you get to read this reply.

Yes, it would be fantastic to meet & greet. Seems to me that the plan of a SA 'onslaught' is reaching momentum. We must just make sure the Aussies don't find out. :ph34r:

Kind Regards

Boa Noite (my time) Sunshine Sister

Right on the button. Carvalho is Portuguese and I would imagine there would be a Spanish variant. What is your Portuguese connection? Sabes falar Portugues? Are you also based in Adelaide?

Cumprimentos (Regards)

Yello ASP

Yebo. I confess Silvino Jose de Carvalho is my dad. I would imagine (I have my Sherlock Holmes cap on) that you know him from or worked with him in the Dental Dept at 1 Mil??? If correct, the question then is: Wie is jy? :ph34r: En wat maak jy in Alice Springs van alle plekke? :huh:

Groetnis

Aha Carlos...so gedink..dis net te toevallig van al die inligting dat dit nie jy kon wees nie. Anyway..ja ek het saam met hom gewerk by 1Mil en jy was toe nog in die lugmag. Ek onthou ek en hy het mekaar altyd verpes oor hoe goed die Portugese is teenoor die Afrikaners...en natuurlik toe trou jy met n Afrikaanse Girl...man het ek toe ammunisie gehad... :ph34r:

jy moes my al gesien het...ek het agter hom gesit en my naam is Stella. Stuur bietjie groete vir hom en jou ma.

Ons het op n RSMS sponsorship oorgekom na Alice Springs toe, maar dis nou min dae.. ons trek oor 10 dae Brisbane toe.

Ek weet nie hoe op datum hy is van alles wat daar by 1 Mil gebeur nie maar vra hom of hy weet dat Andrew en Sakkie ook op pad is Oz toe.

Voorspoed met julle reelings en moenie bang wees om vrae te vra nie, die mense op die forum is geweldig hulpvaardig.

Guest Sunshine Sister
Boa Noite (my time) Sunshine Sister

Right on the button. Carvalho is Portuguese and I would imagine there would be a Spanish variant. What is your Portuguese connection? Sabes falar Portugues? Are you also based in Adelaide?

Cumprimentos (Regards)

Hey again,

Yay, I'm so glad, as far as I can tell the Carvallo's are Spanish. (?) No., pesaroso, eu sei muito pouco portuguese. I'm sad to admit that I don't really have too many connections with the Portuguese, even tho' I have always been interested in the culture, country and ppl. My first real love for the Portuguese came in the form of a cricket captain :D of our neighbouring Greenside High School (Joburg), who was also shortly a boyfriend until his parents realized I was Protestant and of Dutch descent... :o:huh: Hehehehe. Then later in life my hubs had a very savvy business partner Mr. Lopes Cardozo, we enjoyed a visit to the Algarve region where we overindulged on Paella (Arroz à Valenciana)and Biscotti, and of course my love for Nando's has always made me VERY grateful for our fabulous Portuguese community in South Africa ! I have also studied the Portuguese ppl from a linguistic point of view as they are genetically very interesting and highly talented ppl when it comes to the acquisition of second and foreign languages. (Won't bore you with my desperately nerdish fascination). :ph34r: Nope, I am in Sydney, but I am sure Addies is a good choice. I hope you and your family will be very happy there.

Love

SS

:)

PS. BeeTee, I saw that bit and thought oh wow, you must be chuffed.. :P But I see now that chuffed probably doesn't even begin to describe it.. Cool man, I'm chuffed for you guys !

Hey Carlos thanks for you message, I'll call soon! Your name has been bugging me for days, I couldn't remember where I had heard it before, but now I have remembered !! Do you know Peta Carvalho? :ph34r:

Bronwyn

and of course my love for Nando's has always made me VERY grateful for our fabulous Portuguese community in South Africa !

PS. BeeTee, I saw that bit and thought oh wow, you must be chuffed.. :P But I see now that chuffed probably doesn't even begin to describe it.. Cool man, I'm chuffed for you guys !

Uhmm well in that case, I LOVE the Portuguese!!! (The closest Nando's to us is a 15 minute drive away, so 30 minutes travel time, excluding order preparation time, but...that...is a sacrifice...I'm...willing to make... :blush::blink: )

Yeah SS, it took quite a bit of customs/quarantine bribery from my side to secure their entry at customs...I'm not sure they would have let the Alice Springs'ers in otherwise... :P:ilikeit:

:)B)

Edited by BeeTee

Guest Sunshine Sister
Yeah SS, it took quite a bit of customs/quarantine bribery from my side to secure their entry at customs...I'm not sure they would have let the Alice Springs'ers in otherwise... :P:blush:

:blink::P

ROTFL !!! Hehehehehe. :):P:D:ilikeit:

Love

SS

B)

Yes, well . . . . . . Carlos!

Every man and his dog from all over Australia has been welcoming you to Adelaide.

I thought it might just be time for someone living in Adelaide to say "hi!"

Sunshine Sister has been informing us of the various languages that she's noted and has let us know in the past that Portuguese has a wider variety of sounds and therefore lets the Portuguese native speakers pick up other languages quicker than an Aussie can down a pint of Foster's beer! She obviously hasn't taken a trip to the Outback yet, walked into an Ouback pub and heard all the noises in the place once the evening gets going!

Personally, after studying Latin and French at school many years ago, I can follow about 40% in an Italian newspaper, about 25% in a Spanish newspaper, but I'm damned if I can even get 5% in a Portuguese newspaper. It seems quite different again to Italian and Spanish, yet it claims to be an offshoot of Latin also. It has me beat.

Anyhow, mate. Welcome to Adelaide soon . . . . the place is looking for registered nurses.

Edited by Bob

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to the forum (even thoug a little belated :ilikeit: ) I seem to miss out on all the fun! Good luck with your immigration process, hope it works out the way you want it to.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Stella

I passed on the greetings to my parents. They send regards as well and wish you and family all the best in Brisbane. :( Yes, still in the Air Force for the time being and still married to the Boertjie.

We are fortunate that most of our questions have been answered to date (a couple on its way for all SA males that landed on wives' visas), all persons that we have communicated with are extremely helpful. One such example is Suleen Richards (in Canberra) who even phoned us from Oz and had close to half an hour chat with us. Fantastic! (Thank You Suleen!)

Best Wishes with the move!

SS

Luckily my parents were quite lenient when I brought the Boertjie home. They did have one or two (No, I'm lying...they had a lot) of misgivings with regards to this relationship. Fortunately, we managed to convince them that it can work and a couple of years later, what did my sister go and do.....she married a South African Englishman of Scottish descent. :D

Cheers

Evening Bronwyn

In my younger days, I used to participate in many of the Portuguese gatherings in Pta, but since being married (Yes, lets blame it on the wife!), I have lost touch with the Portuguese community. I would be lying to you if I said that I know Peta.

Bye for now

Hey Carlos thanks for you message, I'll call soon! Your name has been bugging me for days, I couldn't remember where I had heard it before, but now I have remembered !! Do you know Peta Carvalho? :)

Bronwyn

Good Day Mate (How's that for picking up Oz speak?) (SS, you are quite correct, for we Porras pick up any language faster than you can order Nando's!) :(

Bob, my dad always says that if you want to speak a foreign language put a scolding hot potato in your mouth and Voila, you'll be speaking the lingo in no time!

Thank You for the welcome. Still some way to go, but we hope that RN's are needed so urgently, that we will be there early in the New Year! (We pray :) !)

Regards

Luckily my parents were quite lenient when I brought the Boertjie home

I can tell you one thing tho, we little pavement specials are usually the cuter ones out of the bunch :lol: Just Kidding now :P

Welcome to SAAustralia :D

Boa Sorte

Monique

Well, Monique told me that someone had my husband's name here, and there you are, Carlos! :ilikeit: There is, in fact, another Carlos Carvalho in the small town we live in here in Canada. However, he isn't from Pta like my husband is, as well. My father-in-law is also a Carlos Carvalho, and still lives in Pta, and also married to a 'boertjie'. My husband was never involved in the Portuguese community, but I think my father-in-law knows many there. Wow!

Hope your application and move goes smoothly, and you settle in quickly in your new country. :ilikeit:

Edited by debbieD

Hi Debbie

This is scary! It would be interesting to have a view of the family hierarchy and to which branch I, your husband, father-in-law belong. Imagine for a moment that we are all related. :ilikeit: If I recall my Portuguese history (and this is ages ago), the Marques de Pombal (Statue at the Avenida de Lisboa, I think) was also a Carvalho (maybe some historian out there can enlighten us on the topic). Which in effect would mean we are somehow descendants of royalty. :ilikeit:

Cheers

Ps. It is also possible that I have met your father-in-law.