where to stay

Sean K

Hi all

we are looking to move to B some time next year and would like to research the areas , could anybody refer a nice area to live , school, transport. we have 2 boys one 4 other 14 will be 5 and 15 end 2009.

Also what to expect in the way of costs for train, bus, rent .

I was told that closer to the city is expensive but nicer? Are flats or simplex / duplex places avalible further north ?

Thanks so so much .

Hi Sean, my husband and I are leaving on the 26th September for LSD. We are staying with friends in Moggill area, but are planning to do research on suburbs in and around Brisbane. Will post our LSD trip when we get back. We are 2 boys as well, 8 and 13.

Hi Sean, my husband and I are leaving on the 26th September for LSD. We are staying with friends in Moggill area, but are planning to do research on suburbs in and around Brisbane. Will post our LSD trip when we get back. We are 2 boys as well, 8 and 13.

That is great thank you very much I cant wait, Have you looked on the ourbrisbane site, it has alot about brisbane and the areas but sometimes gut feelings tell us more. keep in touch .

That is great thank you very much I cant wait, Have you looked on the ourbrisbane site, it has alot about brisbane and the areas but sometimes gut feelings tell us more. keep in touch .

Hi, yes i have been on that site. Looking forward to the trip, getting quiet excited, will let you know all about it.

Hi Cindy,

We're also off to Brisbane eventually, so also interested to hear of your findings. we have a 2 yr old. Have friends who live in Bardon (Aussies) and its divine, but I think pretty pricy.

Hubby is going for final interview 7 to 13 September and will try to do some looking around but probably wont have time, but will post what info he gets.

Looking forward to hearing your info as I am sure it'll be more complete.

GSI

Hi Cindy,

We're also off to Brisbane eventually, so also interested to hear of your findings. we have a 2 yr old. Have friends who live in Bardon (Aussies) and its divine, but I think pretty pricy.

Hubby is going for final interview 7 to 13 September and will try to do some looking around but probably wont have time, but will post what info he gets.

Looking forward to hearing your info as I am sure it'll be more complete.

GSI

Great, let us know what areas he does look into, always good to receive feedback on the different suburbs/areas. Hope his trip goes well.

My advice will be: Find a school you wish to send the kids to. Then find a place to stay close to school. You can always do a bit of traveling to work, if need be. The absolute best is to have it all nearby, but that is not always possible. But at least you can try to keep it all on the same side of the river. Main reason for this is that the bridges causes a bottle neck that slows down traffic at peak hour. <_<

My advice will be: Find a school you wish to send the kids to. Then find a place to stay close to school. You can always do a bit of traveling to work, if need be. The absolute best is to have it all nearby, but that is not always possible. But at least you can try to keep it all on the same side of the river. Main reason for this is that the bridges causes a bottle neck that slows down traffic at peak hour. <_<

Maraai,

Yhis is great advise. I agree. Keep close to the schools..... walking distance is good if possible. Make the kids life go smoothly and everything else will slot into place. All the best

Joanna

Thanks Maraai, Joanna, GSI and cindy T. Makes sense .

Is there Diff schools like here, price, area , how could we judge an area to research and view on a LSD , being from Durban we know if your school is in the Bluff there is a diff to one in Balito or Kloof or Toti or Durban central, The teacher level changes as do the people that are attending. Am I just a Crazy protective DAD? <_< I would hate to send my boys to a bad school, after all they are one of the main reasons for the move.

Oh Maraai, I was advised by 007(agent) that the lower side of the river is more $$ for property and education ? I some times feel the agents just tell you what they want you to know.

Hi there

We've done loads for internet research and have found that North Lakes seems to be a nice place to stay. The state school is new and has a good rep and goes from grade R to Grade 12, the area looks and sounds nice and it is about 28km's away from Brisbane. Check up google maps, some area's have street view so you can see what it really looks like.

As with you we are very protective of our 3 girls so research as much as you can. We also got alot of private schools to send us their prospectus for info! Private if you are earning seems good but state schools I have heard are not bad! Another area we looked at was Springfield Lakes but the area was a bit away from the sea and being from JHB we really want a change.

Hope this helps ;)

Joanne :ilikeit:

Thanks

Too true we love the sea, well used to Toti is not so ssfe anymore .

Thanks for the help I will check it out

Hi all,

Brisbane sounds like great place. We have started or ball rolling now. Are there any places you guys could suggest that:

1: Is under an hour from the sea

2: Close to school

3: rural - we like to live a little in the "sticks"

4: I don't mind a commute to work, being from Joburg, its a way of life!

We hope to have a job offer soon. We have started to ditch our stuff/clean out the house etc. All our local properties have been sold, except the house, but if it is not sold by the time we leave, then it must just be left behind.

Thanks for all the replys. Will be sure to check out those areas when we go and report back. Cant wait for our LSD, leaving on the 26th. Makes sense about the river thing, being on the right side. Anyone else know of good and bad areas, please send through, will add to the list and check them out when we go.

Hi all

we are looking to move to B some time next year and would like to research the areas , could anybody refer a nice area to live , school, transport. we have 2 boys one 4 other 14 will be 5 and 15 end 2009.

Also what to expect in the way of costs for train, bus, rent .

I was told that closer to the city is expensive but nicer? Are flats or simplex / duplex places avalible further north ?

Thanks so so much .

Hi Sean

We are on the Northside - about 10 min from North Lakes (mentioned before as a good place). We are in Petrie. About 40min from the city (by train & car). 1 hour from the Sunshine Coast beaches.

Our kids are in a Christian Private school.

Our biggest reason for private was better discipline and a no-bully policy.

Nice suburbs on the Northside that has acrearage / newer houses are

Cashmere, Warner, Albany Creek, Joyner, Bray Park

Have you looked at some realestate websites yet?

regards

Susan

Hi Sean

We are on the Northside - about 10 min from North Lakes (mentioned before as a good place). We are in Petrie. About 40min from the city (by train & car). 1 hour from the Sunshine Coast beaches.

Our kids are in a Christian Private school.

Our biggest reason for private was better discipline and a no-bully policy.

Nice suburbs on the Northside that has acrearage / newer houses are

Cashmere, Warner, Albany Creek, Joyner, Bray Park

Have you looked at some realestate websites yet?

regards

Susan

Hi Susan

Yes wow we spend so much time on the web it feels like we are there, then we go to work, ha.

Christian private school, wow how is that ? cost ? we never thought of it as the cost i thought was steeeeeep

Say what is the people like?

we are from toti, it is like a old town feeling place, one for all and hey we all know that one .

Train, ha do you use them, it has been so long since i was on a train, back then we had 1st grade(wht) and 2nd to 3rd.

how do you find them ?

thanks i will look closer at your areas

Chat soon

• 2 weeks later...

The really wonderful thing with the christian private schools is that often times they are less expensive than other private schools. And they tend to not keep it against you if you don't have PR yet! There are a few christian private schools around Brisbane. :thumbdown:

There is one in the south as well. COC (Christian Outreach Colledge) From pre-school, prep, all the way to grade 12. I've met quite a few of the teachers and they are really fine people!

At the family fun day, last week, the South African food stall was the most popular! (Supported by the many South Africans connected to the school as well as the Auzzies who are fast learnig to love "koeksisters"! :thumbdown:

COC is situated in Mansfield, surrounded by Carindale, Mt Gravatt, Carina, Carina Hights, Wishart, Holland Park, etc.

North or south, ALL of Brisbane is lovely and I am sure each and every one of you will find a place to call HOME! :thumbdown:

Hi Susan

Yes wow we spend so much time on the web it feels like we are there, then we go to work, ha.

Christian private school, wow how is that ? cost ? we never thought of it as the cost i thought was steeeeeep

Say what is the people like?

we are from toti, it is like a old town feeling place, one for all and hey we all know that one .

Train, ha do you use them, it has been so long since i was on a train, back then we had 1st grade(wht) and 2nd to 3rd.

how do you find them ?

thanks i will look closer at your areas

Chat soon

Hi Sean

Our school cost around $1300 per term for 2 kids.

During peak hours the trains are packed. I have often taken the train to work and back. I would not get off alone at 11pm and walk home, but I would do that at 6pm.

Parking at the train stations are free, so many leave their cars there for the day. quite safe. I just read in our local paper the crime rates for last week.

7 Houses and 5 businesses were broken in last week in Pine Rivers area. see www.questnews.com.au

you are welcome to pm me if you want more info as I might miss your reply!

regards

Susan

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Brisbane sounds like great place. We have started or ball rolling now. Are there any places you guys could suggest that:

1: Is under an hour from the sea

2: Close to school

3: rural - we like to live a little in the "sticks"

4: I don't mind a commute to work, being from Joburg, its a way of life!

We hope to have a job offer soon. We have started to ditch our stuff/clean out the house etc. All our local properties have been sold, except the house, but if it is not sold by the time we leave, then it must just be left behind.

Cleveland, Sheldon and Chandler are some of the Suburbs in SE Brisbane that have bigger (rural type) plots or acreage as they call it here. They are 5 to 20 minutes from the sea but be warned that doesn't mean beach!! The view is stunning but its mud flats with Mangrove trees and no sand! The closest beaches are Gold Coast (South) and Sunshine Coast (North), both about an hour from Brisbane. There are plenty of schools. Some of the public schools are good especially Primary schools and there are fantastic private schools around there too.

On the North side try Bunya or Samford Valley.