Springbok: New in forum

Springbok

Hi everyone

I have just discovered this forum. My name is Charl Marais, I'm 32, single and Afrikaans. Working as quantitative analyst in credit risk at Nedbank in Sandton. Applied for the Skilled Independent visa through Hitchcock & Associates. Received my permanent residence visa a month ago and planning to visit family in Brisbane in April 2007 to activate the visa. As I work in banking, my preference is to settle in either Sydney or Melbourne.

I hope to meet some of you here in Joburg or Pretoria, but would also like to hear from people who are already in Sydney or Melbourne. I spent 2 weeks in Melbourne in 1999 and loved the place!

For those of you still planning to emigrate, you can buy quite a handy guide for US$15 and download it at http://www.arriveandthrive.com/aus/index.htm

Cheers

Charl

Hi Charl

Welcome to the forum!

We have one thing in common, we both love MELBOURNE! We have been here nearly 10 years now, and I really could not think of living anywhere else.

If you have any questions, we would be happy to try and answer them.

If you find yourself in Melbourne on your proposed visit, then we would be happy to meet with you.

Mara

Hi Charl - Welcome! You'll find this site VERY helpfull. Just as an introduction - I'm in Pretoria, & I was in a very similar field to you in Credit Risk & ABF at Imperial Bank (Now part of Nedbank). Was wondering where Hitchcock & Associates are based ? Did you need a degree to qualify on the Independant Skills Visa? I'm asking on behalf of someone else, but will check it up on the DIMIA website anyways, thanks, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn, what a coincidence, I am actually outsourced by Nedbank to Imperial Bank!

Hitchcock & Associates is based in Sydney. The MD, Cecil Bass, is actually from Joburg, but migrated to Australia in 1998 and joined Hitchcock 2 years later. Another director, Annaleen v/d Westhuyzen, is also from S.A. Hitchcocks have 2 offices in S.A.:

131 Rubida Street

Murrayfield

PRETORIA

Regus - Sandton Square

2nd Floor, West Tower

Nelson Mandela Square

Cnr Maude & Fifth Street

SANDTON

Their consultants meet with prospective clients in Joburg, Durban and Cape Town.

You need 120 points for the Skilled Independent visa, but it depends on a quite number of factors. I have an engineering degree, but cannot remember if a degree is a prerequisite. There is a very useful guide downloadable for US$15 at http://arriveandthrive.com/aus/ - it covers all the different visas in the first chapter.

Regards

Charl

Hi Charl - Welcome! You'll find this site VERY helpfull. Just as an introduction - I'm in Pretoria, & I was in a very similar field to you in Credit Risk & ABF at Imperial Bank (Now part of Nedbank). Was wondering where Hitchcock & Associates are based ? Did you need a degree to qualify on the Independant Skills Visa? I'm asking on behalf of someone else, but will check it up on the DIMIA website anyways, thanks, Bronwyn

Charl we probably know a lot of the same people! You are probably based in Sunninghill then? It is a small world! Don't worry I won't mention you or the forum, I found it's better to keep work away from these types of plans!

Thanks for the info - I am going to pass it on to my brother in England. They are desperate to move to Aus but don't know where to start. They need an agent, don't have the time or energy to do it themselves.

Regards, Bronwyn :ilikeit:

Hi Brenda

Sunninghill yes, but I work mostly at Nedbank in Rivonia road...just more convenient for me.

Hitchcock also has an office in London as far as I know.

Contact Person: Sandra Francois (she's in Durban, S.A.)

Mobile: +27 83 4416404

Office: +27 31 2083355

Email: hitchsf@worldonline.co.za

I know Cecil Bass and his team also visit London on a regular basis to meet with clients.

Tell your brother to pay the fees and Hitchcock will take care of everything = no sleepless nights!

regards

Charl

Charl we probably know a lot of the same people! You are probably based in Sunninghill then? It is a small world! Don't worry I won't mention you or the forum, I found it's better to keep work away from these types of plans!

Thanks for the info - I am going to pass it on to my brother in England. They are desperate to move to Aus but don't know where to start. They need an agent, don't have the time or energy to do it themselves.

Regards, Bronwyn :holy:

Oops, sorry! :ilikeit: I meant Bronwyn, just have Brenda on my mind today... :blush:

Hi Brenda

Hi Brenda

Sunninghill yes, but I work mostly at Nedbank in Rivonia road...just more convenient for me.

Hitchcock also has an office in London as far as I know.

Contact Person: Sandra Francois (she's in Durban, S.A.)

Mobile: +27 83 4416404

Office: +27 31 2083355

Email: hitchsf@worldonline.co.za

I know Cecil Bass and his team also visit London on a regular basis to meet with clients.

Tell your brother to pay the fees and Hitchcock will take care of everything = no sleepless nights!

regards

Charl

Oops, sorry! :ilikeit: I meant Bronwyn, just have Brenda on my mind today... :blush:

No worries, I know what you meant (PS. You can edit your posts - I do it all the time, haha!) I have sent all your info to my brother already, hope he acts on it! :holy:

Regards, Bronwyn