God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?

Springbok

This book, written by John Lennox, stands in contrast to "The God Delusion" (by Richard Dawkins).

Dr. John Lennox holds three doctorates in the fields of science and mathematics (DPhil, PhD, D.Sc) and is Fellow in Mathematics and Philosophy of Science at Green College, University of Oxford. In addition to pure mathematics, his research interests include the interface between science, philosophy and theology. He is the author of numerous books, including God’s Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? (Oxford: Lion, 2007). An entertaining and courteous speaker, John is much in demand as a lecturer and public advocate for intellectual theism. He recently participated in a debate with Richard Dawkins in Birmingham, Alabama, and on August 9, 2008, he will debate Christopher Hitchens at the Edinburgh Festival in Scotland.

More about Dr. John Lennox: http://www.ttf.org/index/about/lennox/

And here is the debate between himself and Richard Dawkins:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=988134574542478162

http://richarddawkins.net/article,1707,n,n

Dr. John Lennox speaks in Sydney, this coming Thursday 21 August:

http://www.smithlecture.org/2008%20Sydney.html

Thanks for that, Charl.

These discussions are always interesting from an intellectual point of view.

I had one with an old mate a couple of weeks ago . . . a sincere atheist . . . . but I couldn't help thinking, and said so at the time, that without a Intelligent Creator having made all this universe, our lives are without meaning and without hope.

It doesn't matter if we were made in 6 days, or 6 hours, or 600 million years. That is all peripheral to who we are . . . . and is also conjecture. No one can give anybody else a satisfactory answer for where we originate from.

Personally, I don't care if I am descended from a butterfly (which I don't believe I am!). The main aspect is that I am who I am.

I once was with a group of people who had previously debated the Creation issue and a lady mentioned later on that she'd just found out that she was descended from an Austrian grandmother.

I asked her whether she felt less of an Australian for that.

"Of course not" was the answer.

It doesn't matter where we come from.

The main thing is who we are, and so many people get sidetracked on this whole "Creation" stuff and miss the point of what Christianity is really about.

It's about meaning. It's about Hope. It is about relevance . . . . . and if we are living lives without any meaning what is the relevance of that to anyone?

No wonder there's so much Depression around in society nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
I had one with an old mate a couple of weeks ago . . . a sincere atheist . . . . but I couldn't help thinking, and said so at the time, that without a Intelligent Creator having made all this universe, our lives are without meaning and without hope.

It's about meaning. It's about Hope. It is about relevance . . . . . and if we are living lives without any meaning what is the relevance of that to anyone?

No wonder there's so much Depression around in society nowadays.

Bob, I'm atheist, I don't believe in god or any intelligent creator and my life has lots of meaning. I don't live in the hope that my life will be better, I live it for this lifetime and not for any perceived after life. Frankly, I couldn't think of anything worse than living in the "hope" of it being better, I prefer the approach of actually doing something about it.

So, I guess with this approach I have two less things to be depressed about.

Bob, I'm atheist, I don't believe in god or any intelligent creator and my life has lots of meaning. I don't live in the hope that my life will be better, I live it for this lifetime and not for any perceived after life. Frankly, I couldn't think of anything worse than living in the "hope" of it being better, I prefer the approach of actually doing something about it.

So, I guess with this approach I have two less things to be depressed about.

I know that this is an arguement that none of us can win. I have never seen a christian convert an aethist or the other way around.

That said, i too am an aethist and feel a great sense of wonder in my life. Science is wonderful in itself. Reality is awesome. I feel very empowered to know that i am the captain of my own ship, in charge of my own destiny, totally free from any belief system and i am proud to be raising my children as scientists, who will be able to approach problems logically and use scientific thought and methodology to deal with life. I also hope that i am instilling into them a sense of self owned morality that enables them to totally own their actions and respond to other people from a level of empathy.

There is great wonder in aethism.

Ah- a topic one might be wise to avoid! :lol:

But then I am not used to listen to that part of me that always warns ahead of trouble....

So

I am Christian- used to be a non practising atheist ( from about 18 -34 , google what the amish say to their kids for the period 16 -28) - who believes like a child in the Bible. The "ways" of the Church ( general statement I know- but most Churches have their own ways of dealing with reality) - alienated me- but the kids made me realise I have a responsibility- a promise I made when they were baptised.

I have changed Church- to one that "teaches" a less judgemental message- incidentally it is not a new Age church.....

still I do not see myself as a fundamentalist christian.

Yes, some the teachings of the Bible are difficult to explain, because of Mankind's( inclusive of all the women of course :ilikeit: ) ever increasing understanding of science and the environment we are living in ( the cosmos ), still

I have found a lot of guidance- relevant today- in the Bible

guess skelms, crimmies and politicians were much the same in biblical times ( they were however spared insurance salesmen, etc ) - and that evolutionary wise- humans are still as jealous as ever.

I am just however not ready to believe in a godless world- as I have seen the results.

I must say, most of the atheists I know- are "better" people than MOST of the Christians I know, I have a huge "gemoedsbekakking" ( pardon the French) in "skynheiligheid" even more so if it was instilled via "mothertongue education". :ilikeit:

That leaves me kind outside the "protectedness of the herd" and its everbusy( with their own work and not that work they are getting paid to do) earthly shepherds.

and for the record- atheists are NOT satanists or devil worshippers- an often confused issue with most fundamentalist christians. Those who are practising the occult- should not call themselves atheists.

And for all the fundamentalist Christians out there that pity me my viewpoint- you are most welcome to join me in prayer to our Living God : to pray for me and my family and the world we live in and all its creatures. :ilikeit:

Edited by BloemBoi