GoGoGarthies: want out!

Garthiez

Hi there everybody!

I (meaning we, all 4 Garthies) am new to this forum (well, just joined recently, but has been scouring the pages and absorbing info for quite a while...! ) Really cool to read everyone's experiences, advice and general thoughts on this and that and a generally pretty daunting topic.

We are a family of 4 (2 teen kids), currently living in Cape Town and really want to emmigrate but, is totally confused about where to start.

My husband has recently, after having reached the "white' ceiling in the corporate world of retail, left a very well known retailing group after 16 years, to take up a course in plumbing, with the aim of being self-sufficient in a country where there simply are no growth opportunities left for some people. The other aim of this giant leap was to emmigrate before we are too old to do so (and the window of opportunity seems to be closing in on us, knocking on 40!) :D

He has completed his studies and apprenticeship and has been working for himself (very sucessfully, so far) for the past couple of months.

If there is anyone out there who have, perhaps made the same type of transition and sucessfully settled in Australia (or N Zealand) and could offer any advice on:

1. where to start

2. which visa to apply for (the different options gets me totally confuzzled!)

3. job vs self employment

4. is there a minimum amnt of years of experience required before applying?

5. knows of a way to secure a job in this trade

6. could supply info irt the very many variations of plumbing licenses required (there seems to be different plumbing licenses for every "speciality" - no such thing as General Plumber?)

7. reliable immigration agents and costs involved

8. knows anyone who could help

9. any other useful info

I would be forever grateful!! ;)

Good luck too, to all of you who are in the various stages of the long road to freedom!! And well done to those who have sucessfully managed to settle over there - please be in contact!

Hope to hear from somebody real soon! :ilikeit:

Ciao

Anni G

Hi there, welcome to the forum, hit the search button and look for "The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa, A checklist you might find helpful" a wonderful post by Jordy with everything (i think) you need to know! You will find loads of help on the forum, good luck with your application...

Hi there everybody!

I (meaning we, all 4 Garthies) am new to this forum (well, just joined recently, but has been scouring the pages and absorbing info for quite a while...! ) Really cool to read everyone's experiences, advice and general thoughts on this and that and a generally pretty daunting topic.

We are a family of 4 (2 teen kids), currently living in Cape Town and really want to emmigrate but, is totally confused about where to start.

My husband has recently, after having reached the "white' ceiling in the corporate world of retail, left a very well known retailing group after 16 years, to take up a course in plumbing, with the aim of being self-sufficient in a country where there simply are no growth opportunities left for some people. The other aim of this giant leap was to emmigrate before we are too old to do so (and the window of opportunity seems to be closing in on us, knocking on 40!) :blush:

He has completed his studies and apprenticeship and has been working for himself (very sucessfully, so far) for the past couple of months.

If there is anyone out there who have, perhaps made the same type of transition and sucessfully settled in Australia (or N Zealand) and could offer any advice on:

1. where to start

6. could supply info irt the very many variations of plumbing licenses required (there seems to be different plumbing licenses for every "speciality" - no such thing as General Plumber?)

9. any other useful info

I would be forever grateful!! :blush:

Good luck too, to all of you who are in the various stages of the long road to freedom!! And well done to those who have sucessfully managed to settle over there - please be in contact!

Hope to hear from somebody real soon! ;)

Ciao

Anni G

Hi Anni

good luck with your journey. I dont profess to know the answers but can try from what i know.

here goes (just chk it out ok)

1. where to start

You need to get your career assessed for points. Plumber will fall under a certain "body" that chks their qualifications etc. i dont know what they are called so google it. I am in IT so i had to go thru Australian Computer Society and get assessed from them. they decide if you get the points or not.

Visa 175: this is permanent visa - the full monty and allows you EVERYTHING - google it for more info

Visa 457: this visa is given if you are sponsored by a company.

there is also STATE sponsorship - dont know the number

For me I had to have 7 yrs experience in my career to get the full 60 points. (IT). You must chk out who oversees plumbing.

To get my MODL points I had to have worked 12months out of the last 18months.

cant help here

nope, cant help

We used ASA. They were brilliant!!! in 2006 we paid R36k - but i think you can do it yourself

ASA again.

9. any other useful info

you need patience

:)

good luck

Karen

There are a number of migration agents that are members on this form, check out the following link:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showforum=65

check out this post, it lists online jobseeking sites.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=5497

Thank you for your prompt replies - it really is cool to ask a question today and have a couple of replies by tomorrow!!

I find this forum tremendously helpful and the people are great!!

Will be checking out all these sites soon.

Anni

Hi there! We also joined the forum recently and are looking for info on all the questions you have. So I will be watching your topic. :ilikeit:

I think some great advice that I can give you is to go to the Oz Expo in Cape Town, in the ICC. They promise to be a huge source of info. We are driving up 400kms to attend it, costs R150 per person. Google it and buy tickets! There will be job offers, visa info, lots of stuff.

One other thing: The next available IELTS (which everybody over 18 must write) is only 11 October in CT, at the British Embassy. And the places are filling up very quickly, so book now (quite expensive, though) for whatever month's IELTS you want to write.

Lu

Hi,

Cant help re plumbing info but I can tell you that the DIAC (Dept of Immigration and Citizenship) at www.immi.gov.au is the best place to start to read about the different visas. start on the home page and you can work your way through from there - very easy to use. They class visas by temp and permanent which we found helpful.

Also, the state sponsored PR (permanent residence) visa is called a 119 or a RSMS visa. The state sponsored temp visa is teh 475 (yes four seven five) Look those up aswell as the 175 (independant PR) and the 457 (long term temp employer sponsored) visas. These are the 4 most popular. And dont panic if you arent eligible for teh PR visas - the long term temp ones are a pathway to PR, just takes a bit longer to get it but you will be there in Aus and working already. They are easier to get and granted sooner.

Good luck, happy reading!

GSI

Seeing you have most of the answers above, just want to say welcome to the forum.

We used an agent as we are self employed and needed loads of guidance, but others on the forum have gone the DIY route and have been successful. Just a little word of advice, the PR route - 175, has the loooooooooongest wait. Just ask some of us here!!!!

Enjoy the ride !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there! We also joined the forum recently and are looking for info on all the questions you have. So I will be watching your topic. :P

I think some great advice that I can give you is to go to the Oz Expo in Cape Town, in the ICC. They promise to be a huge source of info. We are driving up 400kms to attend it, costs R150 per person. Google it and buy tickets! There will be job offers, visa info, lots of stuff.

One other thing: The next available IELTS (which everybody over 18 must write) is only 11 October in CT, at the British Embassy. And the places are filling up very quickly, so book now (quite expensive, though) for whatever month's IELTS you want to write.

Lu

Hi there!

We actually attended the expo in CT in March this year already - could not believe how many people attended this event!! We did get some information, but not nearly the amount of info that I have been harvesting from this forum!!

Please supply some info on the IELTS - how much does it cost and how do I go about booking a spot? What does the age restriction apply tt - the age at first application, or the age once application is granted? My daughter is currently 17, but will probably be 18, perhaps 20 by the time a visa is granted?!

Thanks, and keep in touch

Anni

my experience so far...

Option 1:

i've spent R500 having a full report compiled by an agency in Cape Town, the report is quiet in-depth and the R500 also includes a consultation.

The report covers all the Visa options available to you and also includes a breakdown of what all is involved and the costs.

Option 2:

Australia Expo in Cape Town 6-7 Sept ( http://www.expo-australia.com/ ) .... I've heard from more than 1 australian based recruiting agency that this expo is well worth visiting... I think they are going to be recruiting like mad!

And the bonus is, if you get a job offer in Cape Town, the offering company will cover all the costs of your visa and move etc etc....

For R150 ... a potentially life changing opportunity might just be less than a month away!

Hi Anni

I can not help with all the info on IELTS but please remember there are two types of IELTS tests,an ACADEMIC and a GENERAL so make sure you book the correct one for your own occupations. If you have an agent they can tell you which one to book for .

Maxi

Hi there!

We actually attended the expo in CT in March this year already - could not believe how many people attended this event!! We did get some information, but not nearly the amount of info that I have been harvesting from this forum!!

Please supply some info on the IELTS - how much does it cost and how do I go about booking a spot? What does the age restriction apply tt - the age at first application, or the age once application is granted? My daughter is currently 17, but will probably be 18, perhaps 20 by the time a visa is granted?!

Thanks, and keep in touch

Anni

Hello Garthiez,

Welcome to the forum!! We are also struggling with the getting started idea, but hey. We recently booked out IELTS in Pretoria and we are writing on the 6th of September. You can get all the information etc you need from www.ielts.org. We paid about R2000 each for the booking. I dont know if the different regions of SA charge different prices.

The registration process is fairly easy, fill in the form, make the payment, send the completed form by fax with a copy of your id. We had to wait 3 months to go and write so make your booking asap. Luckily our wait is almost over. Then the rest of our drama starts.... looking for jobs etc.

Hope you guys manage!!

Midrian