Real South African (Indian) Cooking!

Riekie

There's this little place called Durban Dish where you can buy ready cooked dishes or the spices to make your own - absolutely DELISH!!! They even have KOEKSISTERS!!

Mmmmmmmmmm yum yum. Hoe water my mond nou. Hier in Adelaide is daar 'n stalletjie by die mark wat Russiese wegneemkos verkoop en hulle "Piroshkis" is maar net soos vetkoeke - Heeeeeeeeerlik! Ons gaan dikwels soontoe vir ons "fix". Anders koop ek sommer deeg by Foodland en maak ons eie. :ilikeit:

I have a great South African recipe book - called Best of Cooking in South Africa, and there is a terrific recipe in there for bobotie. Use it all the time.

Aaaahhhh Bobotie! My favourite. Made it for an Aussie curry night, and they just loved it! They call it my sweet curry dish, or the brave ones try and call it by name, and it comes out bouboutie :ilikeit:

Haven't as yet found a place to buy dough for vetkoek, and must confess I am a bit lazy to make my own :rolleyes: I suppose the craving will eventually compel me to do it. Nothing better than vetkoek dripping with butter and Koo superfine apricot jam. Yumeeee....

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamy, most bakeries will sell you vetkoek dough. I can buy it here at the Doubleluck Bakery in Castle Towers Shopping Centre @ $4 / kilo - you must just ring the day before to "book" it.... I'm sure you'll find a bakery out your way too!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds me - a while ago I was in hospital here for some tests (nothing so worry about) and I got Bouboutee :huh: for lunch - It was awful! Where they got the recipe I don't know (and why they thought it would be a good idea to have it on the menu beats me too!) but it was basically like savoury mince on rice - no egg "custard" at all and not a fruit in sight! :D