Cheese

Miss H

Please tell me I am not the only one with this problem. Since arriving in Aus I have not been able to find decent cheese. Besides the colour, Aus cheese tastes so different and I can't get used to it. I was addicted to Gouda and Sweetmilk cheese in SA and we would buy a block every two days. Now I am lucky if we use a block of cheese in 2 weeks. I have tried the Aus gouda and edam and they do not come close. They are very bitter and not as creamy and soft as the SA cheese. Does anyone know where I can get cheese from that will suit my taste buds?

How wierd - I'm the opposite! I never much cared for cheese back in SA, whereas here I find the humble Tasty Cheese much more to my palette :ilikeit: Maybe you just need to look around some more and try as many as necessary till you find one that suits your taste - there is a huge range and much bigger variety here, I think.

On another note, I suppose cutting down from a half a block a day won't do your health any harm either - that's a LOT of cheese!!! :ilikeit: Seriously, maybe this is an opportunity for you to wean yourself off and reassess your intake. Cheese is delish but it has a lot of baddies lurking in its creamy, sharp midst!

Ajay

I also loved the Gouda in SA and so did the rest of my family, so I know exactly what you are talking about! I use the Havarti cheese, it is also white, but the taste is OK. The only drawback is it is too soft to grate. Give it a try and let me know what you think?

Cheers

Sue

Hi Miss H and SueB,

I had the same problem with the cheese here in Aus. I found the Aus cheeses 'rubbery'.

We lived in New Zealand before coming to Aus and the cheeses and dairy products in New Zealand are great.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself the Mainland cheeses. It is a cheese made in New Zealand and is sold in Aus. I've been in Aus now since 2003 and still buy my New Zealand cheese.

Mainland also has a low fat version (for hubby with cholestrol), but I absolutely love their matured cheddar.

Give it a try and let us know what you think.

SAS

funny that you mention cheese. we are more cheddar fans, so no problem there, but I battle to find Feta cheese!

I thought Mainland sounded familiar. I buy the Mainland Havarti and Mainland Gouda :)

funny that you mention cheese. we are more cheddar fans, so no problem there, but I battle to find Feta cheese!

Our Woolworths has a huge selection of Feta - I didn't know it came in no many nationalities :blush: My favourite so far is the Danish - very creamy - and my least favourite is the Australian Reduced Fat (tastes like chalk :) )

Hello!

We also found this to be a great difference and "disappointment".

We buy gouda in delicatess shops ( usually next to big shops) and it is really the best original gouda cheese, @ $17 /kg, so we can afford it only few dollars a week.

Otherwise I found Mainland Edam cheese to be ok.

I also love lots of other things one can buy @ Delicatess shops, however have been restraining myself trying it out, as I might just start spending double the money than planned.

didl

Our Woolworths has a huge selection of Feta - I didn't know it came in no many nationalities :blush: My favourite so far is the Danish - very creamy - and my least favourite is the Australian Reduced Fat (tastes like chalk :whome: )

I was fortunate to be able to go to the Good Food and Wine show in Perth a couple weeks ago with my good friend. I was bliss just us, no kids, no husband and lots of free tastings of wine and cheese. yum yum. Anyway one of the stands there was a company called South Cape Fine Foods, and they had about 6 kinds of cheese for tasting. My favourite is a Feta called Persian Fetta(with two T's),it comes in a tub like the size of a small yoghurt tub. The feta is a soft kind almost the consistency of a very firm cottage cheese. And its stored in olive oil infused with herbs and some spices. It is DELICIOUS. You can spread it on biscuits or put it into salad just before serving and also use the oil as a dressing. Trust me on this its well worth a try. It should be available in coles and woolworths.

Candice

I agree with Ajay on the feta cheese, Woolies has a big selection, my favouite is the danish feta too.

To buy gouda or edam try this shop.Pisconeri cheese

If you want fresh seafood try Canningvale Market, 280 Bannister Rd, Canningvale, there are a number of fresh produce suppliers there.

There is also metcash which is like makro, but you need a card to buy there, I used to have a card through my union.

You can buy bulk at Campbells cash and carry 218 Bannister Rd.

You can also get a selection of the products from European foods- edam cheese to name one at the Re store which is located on the corner of Aberdeen and Oxford Streets, Northbridge.

Hope you find some tasty delights.

IGA sometimes have swiss type cheeses too.

Andrea L

We lived in New Zealand before coming to Aus and the cheeses and dairy products in New Zealand are great.

Agreed!!

Hi SAS and Sue

I tried the Mainland Havarti (a combination of both your suggestions) and it really is much better than I have had. Thanks so much for the advice. I am back to eating cheese.

Hi SAS and Sue

I tried the Mainland Havarti (a combination of both your suggestions) and it really is much better than I have had. Thanks so much for the advice. I am back to eating cheese.

:ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

I was briefly very, very concerned when I started reading the first post as I am a Gouda and Danish Feta fanatic and I was very close to calling my travel agent to cancel my flight to Melbourne on the 5th of August :ilikeit::blush: ... luckily I finished reading to the end and saw that there is some doable alternatives... shjoe, that was close. :blink::ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Jokes aside, Gouda addiction is like smoking... no matter how bad it is for your health it is still worth it (I am not a smoker [and never will be], but it is the only thing I can relate it to).

HI,

The other day my kids asked me to get melrose cheese spread for their toast, so next time I was in Woolies I walked up and down the spreads isle looking for the lovely YELLOW melrose cheese, no luck, went looking for an assistant and she took me straight to the cheese spread, no wonder I didn't see it, it is the most anemic looking cheese spread I have ever seen, so I bought it, doesn't taste too bad though.

Jill

The cheese here doesn't have the dye in it that SA cheese does, maybe it is a good thing but my cheese sauce doesn't look as tasty because of the colour.

Same thing with the South African smoked cod you get at Woolies deli, it id actually smoked haddock, or that is how we would know it and is more dyed than smoked.

• 2 months later...

All of you in Melbourne are so fortunate to have shops such as the

Cheese Larder and The Calender Cheese Company to shop at for all your speciality cheeses

I am enviouse :whome:

I'm not allowed dairy at the moment and have found "Mini-Chol" - a soy cheese in the supermarket. It's quite expensive but helps when you have a strong cheese craving.

• 3 months later...

SO glad I found this post, hubby is not happy with the cheese here in oz, will give the Mainland a try! Forum is so helpful we would be so lost without it!

Isnt it strange how people differ about things? My husband LOVES the cheeses here and in NZ. Yes the colour is something to get used to, but the tastes are way better!

You get a 'normal' looking cheese here called Coon tasty cheese. It's a cheddar and not bad.

Just be glad you're not in Chicago or somewhere in America and you have to ask for Coon cheese .....can you imagine?

I have to agree with SAS on the Mainland cheese.

Cheese in Perth:

The Deli Divine in Crossways, Subiaco has everything a cheese connoisseur may dream of, including "Tete de Moine" and a few types of Girolle on which to grate it. If you haven't tried this, please do so - you can get a taste for free. Prices are very reasonable considering most of their cheese is imported from Europe.

For feta, Veeos of 361 Wanneroo Rd in Balcatta has about 20 different kinds, most cheaper than in the supermarkets.

I have recently tried the Australian Gold Gouda cheese. Personally, I prefer the Mainland. The Australian Gold is a bit rubbery, but then I'm not a Gouda cheese fan. My preference has always been Cheddar.

Hubby just loves the Australian Gold Gouda!!! He recons it is streets above the Mainland. It is slightly more expensive though.

SAS

You get a 'normal' looking cheese here called Coon tasty cheese. It's a cheddar and not bad.

Just be glad you're not in Chicago or somewhere in America and you have to ask for Coon cheese .....can you imagine?

I have to agree with SAS on the Mainland cheese.

LOL!! When we were looking at rentals one of the houses was in a street called "Kaffir Close" :ilikeit: - named after a tree, but I still couldn't bring myself to live there! Imagine me sending a letter or postcard back to Africa with THAT return address???

Back to the cheese....the variety here is amazing and they only look and taste different because they are so much healthier. In Africa they add too many colourants/dyes etc.

I find food in general to be way healthier here, even the Milo is not loaded with sugar like in Africa - tastes "flat" in the beginning, but much better for the kids. The peanut butter tastes different too, less sugar and salt.

zorba

Hubby just loves the Australian Gold Gouda!!! He recons it is streets above the Mainland. It is slightly more expensive though.

My husband and I are both Gouda fans and I having been wondering about the Australian Gold. I will give it a go next I shop, thanks!!