Strekkie: Introduction, Moving to Australia

Strekkie

Hi all.

My name is Jan Victor (yes, and those of you that visit the forum frequently might have read something about Wessel, well, he's my older brother), my wife is Naomi and we still don't have a name for our new baby. Anyway, we live in Centurion and since we discovered that my wife is pregnant the option of leaving SA and seeking a better and safer future has become a necessity.

We have been contemplating this move since my wife got high jacked last year but decided to stick around for a while longer just to finish off some ventures we had going. The time has come for all to end and a better life to start.

Firstly I just want to thank however started this forum and all the people contributing to it. When we started searching for info on Australia this site was amazing. Almost every question I've had till now has already been asked by someone else. Like everybody else my concerns has to do with missing friends and family, the cost of life, medical and the big question "what is a living income". I still have questions but will post them elsewhere on the forum.

Today (05/09/2006 at 09h20) :blush: I got a phone call from a company in Perth that seem to be interested. Hopefully later this week I will do the technical interview and then things will start happening.

Then, Riekie, thanks for getting me this far. The introduction was long overdue.

Just lastly, I am very fond of motorcycling :ph34r: and commute daily as well as do as much riding as possible on weekends. What is the motorcycling like in Perth?

Till later

Jan

Welcome Jan

I am beginning to think Pretoria aka Tswane is going to be empty soon! You have made the correct decision and I have yet to meet a unhappy Saffer in Perth.

Hi there,

Welcome on the forum, hope you get answers to all your questions. Good luck with the company in Perth, I'm sure you'll love it there. :blush:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Welcome, welcome, welcome. And I;m so glad you've found the forum useful - it's lovely to get positive feedback!

Can't answer your questions about Perth (or motorcycling, for that matter!), but I'm sure someone will.

Good luck with all the new developments in your life!

Love

Ajay

Congrats~ hope it works out!!!

PS you havent told us what your type of work is

See ya later

Hi there,

I'm in the engineering/design field. Normally part of a team that engineers and designs refineries, oil rigs and things like that. My line is purely Petrochemical. The company that showed interest seems quite keen but we decided to stick it out till after the birth of our kiddie (April 2007). From what I read so far it will cost an arm and a leg to do that in Australia, even with a good medical. My wife also did'nt feel like a new giny till after the birth.

At least this gives us some time to sell what we want to and start getting all the paperword in order. Even though it seems so long till April next year I know things are going to happen faster than what we are prepared for.

Bye now.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there Jan and Naomi (and nameless little one :whome: ),

Welcome to our forum. Thanks for joining us and good luck with the last stretch on your journey to Perth ! Sounds like you are already halfway in your process to starting your new life, please let us know what else we can do to make things easier... I will even start a "Finding a name for Bubby Victor" in chit-chat if you want. :angry: Looking forward to having you on the forum and in Australia soon.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi there Strekkie,

We live in Jo'burg and are also starting to make the move for one main reason, our little boy. He deserves the best we can give him, and it ain't gonna happen this side of the ocean!! And the first thought that came to mind when i read your note was that seeing that your Missus is pregnant and it's for your child's future that you wanna make this big move, then maybe if it's a little girl on the way......... an option for her name could be....... Destiny!! He he he. We also enjoy motorcycling and we definitelt gonna get our Harley sooner or later in Australia, but we will be moving to the Golden Coast side.

Chat later and all the best

Didi

Hi Didi,

Like you say, our kids are not going to get what they deserve here in SA. Having gone through the whole apartheid and racism thing myself there is no reason for a child to go through that as well. Good idea about the name for the kiddie and it is quite appropriate since this might change her/his life forever.

Are you guys riding at the moment? And why a Harley????? :ilikeit: Just asking, I’m a big beemer fan. ;)

Jan

Hi Sunshine Sister,

Thanks, we have started downloading documents from the SA Gov website and will probably complete them this coming week and then the dealings with the local officials start sometime next week. I’m just not looking forward to the queues and incompetent people but wanting to leave SA I suppose you have to go through all this.

The name thing, well, the missus has her own ideas and I have mine but I will just play it by ear. Al I know is that it will definitely not be a family name.

Will ask for help should we get stuck somewhere along the way.

Jan

Didi,

I see you love cats. Do you currently have cats and if so are you taking them with when you go across? We have two and would like to take them with us but it sounds like it’s quite expensive.

I am getting quotes and it's scary what they charge. :ilikeit:

Any ideas?

Jan

Hey Jan - If you still need unabridged birth certificates, etc. I can give you the number of a guy named Arno 082 524 9909. He did mine in PTA within a week. We are in Lynnwood, also going to SA. Give us a shout if you like, regards, Bronwyn

PS. I am in a mild panic about my cat. Leaving in Dec and not sure what to do about her. 7 months quarantine is just cruel, if you ask me... :ilikeit:

Guest Sunshine Sister
The name thing, well, the missus has her own ideas and I have mine but I will just play it by ear. Al I know is that it will definitely not be a family name.

Will ask for help should we get stuck somewhere along the way.

Hey there,

Good on you ! Not a big family name person myself either... :D which didn't exactly help my already ever-so-slightly wobbly relationship with the in-laws. :ilikeit: (Why do you think I am writing this all the way from Syds ?) :( Hehehehe, good luck, I'm sure you will do fine.

See you on the forum.

Love

SS

:(

Thanks Bronwyn,

I will definitely give Arno a call.

About the cat – I have received a quote from Keringa Kennels and even though it’s a little expensive I can’t see us leaving our two cats behind. It also seems like the animals at Keringa get very special treatment. B) Seven months sounds like forever but we will take them in around three months before we leave and then it’s only the four months that side. Let me know what you decide about the cat

I see you got your approval on Thursday, CONGRATULATIONS. Where in Aus are you going to?

Jan

Edited by Strekkie

Hi Jan - We're off to Adelaide, really looking forward to it. I'm going to try & give the kitty to a friend, will let you know. What is it going to cost you to send your two? Must be well over R30k? Bronwyn :)

Hi Bronwyn,

The cost in SA is around 17k and then almost the same in Oz. Something I will just have to live with and since the missus is not going to be working and sitting at home with a new baby I think the cats might just be somewhat of a comfort to her. She's had these two from long before we met.

Your husband got a job in Adelaide? Or are you going to look when you get there?

Chat soon.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Net 'n gedagte oor die katte en nuwe baba ... julle sal miskien van opinie verander as die nuwe kleinding eers daar is! Diere wat soos jou kinders was word gewoonlik bietjie terug geskuif as jy eers die babatjie het. Dit was in elk geval ons ondervinding! Voor ons seuntjie het honde en kat saam op die bed geslaap, deesdae is die honde maar tevrede om in die garage of buite te slaap!

Net my 2 c.

Sterkte met alles,

Linda

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all.

My name is Jan Victor (yes, and those of you that visit the forum frequently might have read something about Wessel, well, he's my older brother), my wife is Naomi and we still don't have a name for our new baby. Anyway, we live in Centurion and since we discovered that my wife is pregnant the option of leaving SA and seeking a better and safer future has become a necessity.

We have been contemplating this move since my wife got high jacked last year but decided to stick around for a while longer just to finish off some ventures we had going. The time has come for all to end and a better life to start.

Firstly I just want to thank however started this forum and all the people contributing to it. When we started searching for info on Australia this site was amazing. Almost every question I've had till now has already been asked by someone else. Like everybody else my concerns has to do with missing friends and family, the cost of life, medical and the big question "what is a living income". I still have questions but will post them elsewhere on the forum.

Today (05/09/2006 at 09h20) :ilikeit: I got a phone call from a company in Perth that seem to be interested. Hopefully later this week I will do the technical interview and then things will start happening.

Then, Riekie, thanks for getting me this far. The introduction was long overdue.

Just lastly, I am very fond of motorcycling :holy: and commute daily as well as do as much riding as possible on weekends. What is the motorcycling like in Perth?

Till later

Jan

Motorfietse is goedkoop hier, byvoorbeeld toe ek laas gekyk het het n tweedehandse suzuki 1000 , 2002 model met so 12 duisend kilos op die klok so 12 duisend doller gekos, ek bly in Adelaide, weet nie hoe dit in Perth is nie maar die mense hier het n gewoonte van dat as hulle hulle flikkerlig aansit om van baan te verander dan verander hulle ongeag of daar karre of bikes aankom, as jy daai flikkerlig aansit het jy die reg om te swaai lyk my, verder hou die meeste mense by die spoedgrens, selfs die ouens op die bikes, dis n bietjie anders as in suid afrika waar jy nou en dan nog kan oopmaak, jy moet jouself maar aanleer om rustig te ry, die meeste mense op die pad is baie beskaaf, eietlik n plesier om te ry, nie soos in suid afrika waar jy moet baklei vir jou plek nie. Ook bike ralleys soos in suid afrika bestaan nie hier nie, lyk my jy kry net klein groepies op bikes wat naweke maar uitry na ander dorpies vir die plesier. Net vir interesantheid, Adelaide is die enigste stad in Australia wat nie highways het nie, maak dit partykeer moeilik as jy van suid na noord wil ry in die stad, dit het my eenkeer in die oggend verkeer so een uur en vyftig minute gevat om n distansie van 40 kilos te ry, bietjie belaglik, nou dink hulle daaraan om underpasses te bou onder die main southroad, want aan die kant is daar nie meer plek nie, jare terug het die Adelaide se munisipaliteit die grond verkoop en nou het hulle so n ietwat van n probleem met die verkeer.