A few general lifestyle questions

sharks fan

Whats the fishing like around the Adelaide area. Also are there any good camping spots? What sports teams are there to support in SA and what are the live sports that get followed besides cricket.

Whats the fishing like around the Adelaide area. Also are there any good camping spots? What sports teams are there to support in SA and what are the live sports that get followed besides cricket.

Hi Steffen

South Australia has some great camping facilities (as does the whole of Australia), many located right on the seafront. Camping sites dotted along the coast all the way down south to the Mount Gambier/Robe area and north including many on the York and Eyre Peninsulas. Many camping sites also located inland including the Riverland and the Flinders ranges.

Ditto for fishing.

Adelaide has two teams ( Adelaide-The Crows and Port Adelaide - Port Power) that play in the AFL (Australian Rules). South Australia also has it's own intrastate league the SANFL. There is a netball team that plays in the "National" League (includes NZ teams) - The Thunderbirds. Ladies and a mens hockey teams that play in the National (field) Hockey league (The Adelaide Suns and The Adelaide Hotshots). Rugby Union is only played at club level in South Australia/Adelaide. The Redbacks are the South Australian State cricket team that plays in the National/Interstate League. Adelaide United plays soccer in the National Soccer League, but there are also teams participating in numerous divisions (and age groups) in South Australia.

One of the legs of the international rugby union sevens is played in Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval round about Easter time each year. The only cycling event held outside Europe that forms part of the "international" cycling tour program is held in Adelaide/South Australia - The Tour Down Under is held in February each year..

An international tennis tournament has historically being held in Adelaide at the beginning of the year, just prior to the Australian Open. A number of national beach volleyball events are also held at Glenelg each year.

You name it they play it here (except Jukskei), golf (a large number of public courses located in and around Adelaide),archery, bowls swimming, Le Crosse, rowing, athletics etc etc. No shortage of sport teams to support and/or sports to participate in, here in Adelaide..

Enjoy!

Manny

Ps. I forgot to mention the Clipsal 500 motor racing carnival that takes place over 4 days through the streets of Adelaide and the eastern parklands.

Edited by MannyT

All That I can add to Manny's info:

* You don't need licences in order to Fish anywhere in South Australia

* Be careful though, when fishing in the Port Noarlunga or Aldinga areas, there are marine conservation areas round those places and there are some restrictions re: what and how one may fish there.

* The Sellick Beach and Rapid Bay areas are great spots for fishing and is close to the metropolitan area.

* In winter people often get lucky with catching salmon off the jetty at Christies Beach. There is a reef there and the salmon hide against the winter gales behind the reef.

* There also some good hiking biking trails around Adelaide. E.g. it's possible to ride a bicycle along a bicycle trail from the CBD right down to Seaford Rise, but be warned there are some steep up-hills. However, if ever you want to ride a bicycle from the CBD to elizabeth or Golden Grove in the North, you'll be on flat, even ground most of the time.

Cheers,

Dax

Hey Sharksfan

Footie is HUGE in Adelaide. I support the Crows, because most of my friends do, but don't know all that much about the game.

To answer you other questions - you're in luck! There is fantastic fishing in and around Adelaide. My boys love fishing and I can confidently say that I have never had so much opportunity to cook fish that they had caught. The fish you can catch depends on the location and also whether you catch from land (beach, rocks or jetty) or from a boat. We don't have a boat and mostly catch Tommy Ruff, Garfish and Whiting. The other fish people catch quite a bit of around here is salmon, but we haven't been that lucky. That is usually caught off the rocks at Hallet Cove and at the Onkaparinga Mouth in Noarlunga. Crab and squid and also plentiful. Other good places are The Brighton and Grange jettys and the jetty at Cape Jervis is the best because there is a channel in which the fish tend to congregate and also the ferries to Kangaroo Island come and go there and tend to attract fish. Marius uses maggots or cockles. You can also fish in the Murray river, where you apparently catch a lot of carp, which you are not allowed to throw back as they are a pest.

Camping - well, what are you looking for? There is everything and anything - luxury camping with all the bells and whistles (around $35 a day), more basic camping with hot showers and toilets and not much more (about $15 - 20 a day), basic with long drop and rain water only (usually national parks, $13 a day), or totally wild with no facilities, which is usually free. There are some truly stunning camping locations around South Australia - outback, Flinders ranges, beaches, Hills. It's best if you have a 4x4 because the best ones are way off the beaten track.

Our favourites so far:

Normanville (beach)

Port Elliott (beach)

Robe & Beachport (beach)

Deep Creek Conservation Park (beautiful views and good walking)

Mambray Creek (Southern Flinders)

Moonta Bay (Beach)

Cox Scrub Conservation Park (wild)

Enjoy! See you here.

This is great info! Can anyone share similiar info around Melbourne for me - Camping, sports etc?

Al

Sharksfan,

You will have to support the Adelaide Crows like the rest (footy)

B

Thanks for the great info everyone. I grew up on the zululznd coast in the bush, camping fishing and generally roughing it every chance we got. Hoping to buy a 4x4 when we get there nothing fancy and definitely second hand cause I doubt we will afford anything else. Then hey I have a country to explore with my two ladies.

See you all on the beaches and in the bushes. :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Must say I heard so mush about Adelaide but still had doubts. If I was wondering that is gone and I now itch to go to Adelaide - sounds like my cup of tea.

Thanks for the great info everyone. I grew up on the zululznd coast in the bush, camping fishing and generally roughing it every chance we got. Hoping to buy a 4x4 when we get there nothing fancy and definitely second hand cause I doubt we will afford anything else. Then hey I have a country to explore with my two ladies.

See you all on the beaches and in the bushes. :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

If your into the bush you can also fossick for Gold as another excuse to go walkabout.(This applies all over Oz)

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/Gold%20.../gold_finds.htm

Edited by 2un@