Melbourne voted favourite business destination

kangaroo

Melbourne voted best business destination

Melbourne voted favourite [Australian]business destination

July 8, 2008

Melbourne has beaten out Sydney as the most popular city for business travel for the third year in a row in a new survey.

Accommodation website Wotif.com asked 732 businessmen and women their favourite destinations in their latest business traveller's survey.

One in three chose the Victorian capital above Sydney (27 per cent), Brisbane (10 per cent) and Perth (nine per cent), making Melbourne the winner for three years straight in the annual survey, ahead of Sydney.

The traditional holiday destinations of the Gold Coast and Cairns scored fourth and fifth places, beating out capital cities Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin. Canberra did not make the top 10, scoring 11th place.

Wotif's Megan Magill said 80 per cent of voters noted they tried to fit in a leisure component to the start or end of a business trip.

Meanwhile, London was voted the top international business destination, ahead of New York, Hong Kong and Paris.

AAP

I was in Melbourne last weekend, a few impressions:

- the restaurants are great indeed, much bigger variety than Sydney and the food is excellent. Try this little place in Chinatown: IDEA, in Little Collins Street I think. It has the most impressive wine list I have ever seen! And the Wasabi Beef is delicious. A Chinese guy called William runs the place, prices are quite reasonable.

- feels very much like a European city, especially in winter.

- much colder than Sydney in winter

- public transport is crap, not even a train from the airport to the city! A taxi from the airport to the city is about $50; in Sydney the train from the airport to the city costs about $13.

It's nice to visit Melbourne, but I prefer to live in Sydney. Vice versa for others, each to his/her own.

- public transport is crap, not even a train from the airport to the city! A taxi from the airport to the city is about $50; in Sydney the train from the airport to the city costs about $13.

You should have tried the Melbourne Airport Skybus - $16 one way, or $26 for a return ticket. It travels between Melbourne Airport Tullamarine and Melbourne CBD (Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street) every 10-15 minutes, taking 20 minutes from airport to city (or vice versa).

Personally, I have found all of Melbourne's public transport (trains, trams, ferries, buses etc.) to be absolutely brilliant.

I love Melbourne's trams - the city boasts the largest tram network in the world. Instead of phasing it out, Melbourne keeps updating and modernising its tram network, thereby not only offering a very convenient additional transport option, but also adding to the city's distinctive character. :unsure:

Edited by kangaroo

at least there's good competition between Sydney and Melbourne:

Australia rated tourist hotspot by US travellers

US travel magazine Travel + Leisure released the results of its World's Best Awards today, with Bangkok taking out the top spot on the World's Best City list. Buenos Aires and Cape Town were voted second and third, while Sydney came in fourth after being ranked fifth last year.

Sydney was also named the best city in the awards for the Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific region, followed by Melbourne, New Zealand's Queenstown, Perth and Hobart.

(hmmm, not sure how Cape Town managed to beat Sydney though... and Bangkok nr. 1??? :thumbdown: )

And so the Sydney Melbourne war continues hehe

:thumbdown: