Over45: Hello

Over45

Hi, I am "Over 45" but not over the hill!

I have been browsing through this fantastic website for many months now but haven't had the courage to ask a question. Now that my husband has been offered a job in Sydney, things are hotting up and I need help please, so you'll see me around.

Cheers

J :P

Welcome J ask away the people here will help you all they can.. Welcome and great news on the job offer.

Welcome Over45.

Glad you decided to put fingers to the keyboard - this forum is addictive - just try see how long you can last without your next post !!

All the best with your plans.

Hi Over45

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the job offer.

Regards

Enrica

Hi All

Thanks for your replies to my post yesterday. My husband's new position will be in Rydalmere, Sydney. He will probably land there once the 457 visa process has been finalised. The company is hoping this will be by September 2008? I will be staying in Durban to try and sell our house and let the children finish their school year. Just going to take one day at a time.

Kind Regards,

Janet

Welcome Janet! Rydalmere is a nice spot and there are decent suburbs close by to rent in too, so that's one load off your mind!

How old are the kids?

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Janet,

Welcome, I am kind-a-new also and over 45, going to Perth I hope

Stick with this Forum, great help in those unsure moments

Congrats on the job offer & good luck

Fern

Hi there

Just want to know how you guys are going over if you are over 45? I take it that your husbands are not 45? Just asking because a friend and her husband would also like to go to Aus, but they are over 45! Are you going on a 457 and then PR ? Just trying to find a way for them to go!

Thanks

Bienkie

Welcome Janet! Rydalmere is a nice spot and there are decent suburbs close by to rent in too, so that's one load off your mind!

How old are the kids?

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Ajay

Thanks for the welcome! My sister in law lives in Sydney and told me this morning that St. Ives is a super place, and then another friend advised that they were considering Castle Hill in Sydney, (although they have subsequently moved to Redhill in Brisbane). Do you know anything about these suburbs?

My older son has just turned 11 in May, and the younger is 9 - turning 10 in August.

Regards, Janet

Welcome Over45.

Glad you decided to put fingers to the keyboard - this forum is addictive - just try see how long you can last without your next post !!

All the best with your plans.

Hi "Ready2go" Your comment is so true! I can't wait to check on replies to my postings now, as well as all the other interesting topics. (My husband called it my "heroin fix" yesterday).

Regards, Janet

Hi there

Just want to know how you guys are going over if you are over 45? I take it that your husbands are not 45? Just asking because a friend and her husband would also like to go to Aus, but they are over 45! Are you going on a 457 and then PR ? Just trying to find a way for them to go!

Thanks

Bienkie

Hi Bienkie

My husband is 49 years old and he did his job searching through the Seek website and was offered two positions, of which he accepted one last week. Yes, we are going on a 457 visa and then hopefully PR.

Good luck to your friends!

Kind Regards, Janet

p.s. This website has been a wonderful inspiration to us since our decision was made to move to Australia

Hi Janet,

Both suburbs have lots to offer! I live in Cherrybrook, which is next to Castle Hill in the Hills District (North West of Sydney) , and I have a few friends that live in St Ives, which is part of the North Shore district. Both areas are popular with South Africans (some of the locals call St Ives St Africa :) and Cherrybrook is known as Kersiefontein :lol: ) You generally get more bang for your buck the further away you move from the sea, so the same rental gets you more house in my area. However, we are further away from the city (about 25km's vs around 15, I think) and also further away from the beaches (although we can still get to one within about 30 minutes when necessary:) )

There's quite a lot of info on both suburbs throughout the forum, so have a browse around and gather some opinions. I know that sa2auz lives in the North Shore area, so she'll probably have good info for that side too.

Good luck - shout if you need more help!

Ajay

Hi Ajay

Thanks for the welcome! My sister in law lives in Sydney and told me this morning that St. Ives is a super place, and then another friend advised that they were considering Castle Hill in Sydney, (although they have subsequently moved to Redhill in Brisbane). Do you know anything about these suburbs?

My older son has just turned 11 in May, and the younger is 9 - turning 10 in August.

Regards, Janet

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I live on the North Shore and absolutely love it. Areas like Turramurra, St Ives, Pymble, Warrawee, Wahroonga, Gordon are all part of the upper north shore and the schools are all pretty good. I have friends with children at North Turramurra, Pymble, St Ives Primary, St Ives Park Primary, st Ives North, Wahroonga Primary - The Bush School, all of these are public schools. If you are coming on a 457 visa I would be tempted to go to a Independant School as you won't have to pay the $4500 per child up front that one pays at a government school. Also by the sounds of things your sons would be in Year 5 and Year 7 next year and if your younger son went to an independant school maybe you would have pr by the time he went to high school and you could then go public? Don't know if you also considering private? We absolutely love the northshore it feels quite rural, very bushy, hilly lots of cafes and shops on the roads, station close by for schools, entertainment etc and the beaches are pretty close. Its definatley more expensive on the North Shore and the houses older but its a good area will hold its value if you are going to consider buying. As Ajay says the Hills is lovely, big homes - lots of project homes and much cheaper but the commute to transport and the beaches is not as easy.

PM me if there is anything I can help with

S

Hi Ajay and sa2auz

Thanks again for your help on the suburbs in Sydney

Can't wait to get there and start looking!

Have a good day

Cheers, Janet