Advise Please

new

Hi there to all South Africans

I have a almost 19 month old boy. I have to be honest if I say I speak more afrikaans to him then english.

I am a boetjie and find it difficult myself speaking english. I can help myself when going out. Is there any hope for us here?

Anyone with advise, please I would love to hear from you. :ilikeit:

Guest natalie3

-I have a few suggestions...firstly..bedtime stories!~...tv will NOT teach your child english..but reading simple child-friendly bedtime stories to him will...(and will improve your english as well)

Secondly ..playgroups...what a fantastic way to make new friends (for you) at a cheap price...ask the people in your area if they know of any playgroups...there your son will interact with aussie toddlers and you will make some friends along the way...ive heard on the forum that these groups are organised by moms and the fee is low..like $2 a session to buy toys, tea for the moms etc...

Hope this helps..but this is what i will do once i am in oz to make friends..(im english and so is baby 16 months)...but hubby is afrikaans,,..

I think, if you hear it more often and everyone around you speaks it, you and baby will learn the language very fast. We are afrikaans-speaking at home, but my kids have managed to pick up English very quickly from hearing and movies. We aren't even in Aus yet :ilikeit:

I came to SA when I was 5 and I only spoke French. Once your little guy goes to school and mixes with the English speaking kids - he too will speak English like a pro. My mom and I only speak French when we are together - no English.

Chat to him in Afrikaans - I dont see it affecting him negatively as AUS is English and little minds pick up so much.

Hi Natalie

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try. We have nothing to loose......

I bought him english books and we do read at nite and i am learning him all the animals in english. I went to a few playgroups but to be honest I am very shy and dont make friends that easy. And when I feel I dont belong, I try another one. We are going to one tuesday maybe now I have found the right one.

Do you have boys? Can you tell me at what age do they start to speak words? Mine is 19 months as you know and he only says mamma and dadda and ta.

:ilikeit:

Thanks to all the reply's.

We will take one day at a time and see what happens........

:ilikeit:

If a child is learning two languages at the same time, they learn a lot later. But you will find he speaks better and knows more words when he does start talking actively (my niece and nephew grew up in a bilingual house and that is how it worked with them too). My kids started speaking quite early (we only speak Afr. at home). My daughter is almost 15 months and she has quite a vocab. If you are worried, rather get your little one tested. Especially if you are planning to move overseas, just have everything checked out this side. Medical aid covers quite a lot.

Hi New,

Dont worry about the talking, its a boy thing! My daughter and neice are 24 months and have been talking properly in full sentences for a few months already, every boy they know of their age (with only one exception) says only 3 or 4 words. A friend's son who is 26 months only says about 4 words, and only started in the last 2 weeks. Do you think your son may be picking up that you dont talk much in social situations as you are shy, and is imitating you?

And I know what you mean about the playgroups, its the same here too, every one is different and they dont all suit us, keep trying until you find the right one for both you and your son.

Good luck.

GSI

Hi New

We have been is Aus now for 7 weeks. I have a daughter that is turning 4 next month. We also only speak afr at home. I met a SA lady here the other day and they have been here for 4years and she said tome to carry on speaking afr to my kids as there is enough people that will speak eng to them and that way they don't lose (forget) their afr. Good advice? I don't know either!!!!

Regards

Petro

I keep on looking at the German community in SA. They mostly speak german at home, they attend german schools, but the kids are all completely fluent in English (and some even in Afr. :ilikeit:)

My boys started talking early, about the same time as my daughter. At about 9 months. My oldest was already making 3-word sentences at 15 months. He was a littel early though. Both my boys spoke well by 2, but then their mom is a total chatterbox.

'Beukes Familie'

Thanks for the reply. I would like my child to speak afrikaans to (ek wil nie he hy moet dit verleer nie).

We are in a difficult situation here. I don't know to. Is your child going to school?

Maybe time will learn us what we have to do.

Where in perth are you?

Would you like to meet?

Hi polly

See to be honest my problem is we don't get out alot. My husband is english and i am afrikaans but since i met my husband he spoke afrikaans to me. I think my boy doesn't know what language he must speak. He only says mamma and dadda and ta.

I am shy - do you think that might be a problem to?

I only want the best for my child but how do i know what is the best?

Guest natalie3

My little one is a girl...16 months old..she says a few words..mixes english and afrikaans..she says "mamma...da-deee...kats and kyk daaa"..so its still very few..and shes just started walking a few days back...there is a broad spectrum regarding milestones..so dont panic!

Hi there

Boys do generally take longer to speak than girls but if you are concerned take him for a hearing test. My son also did not speak very well and everyone said to leave it is young and he will catch up well his speech is delayed now with a year. So rather be safe that sorry.

He now gets speech therapy once a week and makes progress but it is slow. At least now we are able to understand him he is 4 and a half. He started therapy at age 2 and half.

Good luck

Lilo

'Beukes Familie'

Thanks for the reply. I would like my child to speak afrikaans to (ek wil nie he hy moet dit verleer nie).

We are in a difficult situation here. I don't know to. Is your child going to school?

Maybe time will learn us what we have to do.

Where in perth are you?

Would you like to meet?

Hi New

My daughter is starting daycare on the 14th of July. I had this sorry ass attitude when we arrived but this morning i woke up with a really positive attitude, enrolled her in daycare today and applied for 21 jobs. I am in Joondalup and would love to meet. Are you going for coffee next Wednesday? :ilikeit:

Hi 'Beukes Familie'

Ek sal die volgende een bywoon my man vlieg woensdag in, en verskoon my as ek se maar ek mis hom nogal in die 2 weke. Ons moet kontak hou waar bly jy en wat is jou email adress. My man se 'n ma behoort by die huis tot en met die kind 5 is waar hy kan skool begin. Hy glo die kind leer sy dissipliene by die huis. Maar is daycare nie baie duur nie?

Ek sal graag weer wil werk maar ek het geen sertifikate agter my naam nie. Ek het direk nadat ek my laaste eksamen in matriek geskryf het begin werk by my man se oom in engineering. Ek was girl friday daar.

Watse soort werk sal ek hier soek, ek het al so baie daar aan gedink.

Hoop om gou van jou te hoor! :ilikeit:

Hi 'Beukes Familie'

Ek sal die volgende een bywoon my man vlieg woensdag in, en verskoon my as ek se maar ek mis hom nogal in die 2 weke. Ons moet kontak hou waar bly jy en wat is jou email adress. My man se 'n ma behoort by die huis tot en met die kind 5 is waar hy kan skool begin. Hy glo die kind leer sy dissipliene by die huis. Maar is daycare nie baie duur nie?

Ek sal graag weer wil werk maar ek het geen sertifikate agter my naam nie. Ek het direk nadat ek my laaste eksamen in matriek geskryf het begin werk by my man se oom in engineering. Ek was girl friday daar.

Watse soort werk sal ek hier soek, ek het al so baie daar aan gedink.

Hoop om gou van jou te hoor! :ilikeit:

Hi New

jammer jy gaan die koffie mis, maar sien jou beslis dan met die volgende byeenkoms. En ek verstaan, jy ken die spreekwoord "you can't live wirh them and you can't live without them" Ek het ook gedink ek gaan dood van verlange toe my man voor ons oorgekom het. Ons is al amper 13 jaar saam en die langste wat hy nog weg was, was laas jaar toe hy oorgevlieg het Aus toe vir onderhoude. Twee weke kan flippen lank word. ja, dagsorg is baie duur so bid asb saam my dat ek in die volgende twee weke werk kry. Ek self het geen sertifikate nie maar darem jare se ondervinding. Ek hoop maar dit sel hulle tevrede stel. Ek sal my foon nommer en email adres vir jou pm. Ek moet volgende week ingaan CBD toe vir my Tax nommer dan kan ek dalk n draai by jou kom maak, anders is jy meer as welkom om n koppie boeretroos by my te kim drink as jy ooit in Joondalup is.

Hi new

My skoonsus se seuntjie het ook stadig begin praat, deels weens die twee tale in die huis. Sy het hom toe geneem vir spraak terapie. Dit help baie. As hulle te lank neem om te praat kan dit 'n probleem op skoolgaande ouderdom wees. As jy vroeg genoeg ingryp, kan alles ok wees teen die tyd wat hy skool toe gaan. Dan sal jy nie eers weet daar was 'n probleem nie.

Wat hulle aanbeveel is dat die engelse ouer net engels met die kind praat en die afrikaanse ouer net afrikaans. Dis bedoel om te help.

Ek stel voor jy neem hom om getoets te word, net om veilig te wees. Dit sal nie skade doen nie, en dan weet jy verseker.

Ek is jammer ons sal nie kan ontmoet nie. Ek gaan aan die ander kant van die land wees :ilikeit: Maar voel vry om my te PM (personal message).

'Beukes Familie'

Jy is meer as welkom om 'n draai te maak as jy in die omgewing is!!!!!!! Ek hou duime vas dat jy werk kry as jy dit kan doen ek ek later ook, wie weet.

Ons gaan partykeer daar verby na die suid afrikaanse winkel toe, sal inloer as ek weer daar is.

Watse werk doen jou man hier en werk hy in die dorp?

Jammer vir al die vrae. Meskein kan ons mans ook ontmoet....

Lekker naweek vir jou!

Hi New,

Ons is 'n boertjie-familie in OZ :rolleyes: My kinders (nou 8 en 11) was in Afrikaanse skole in SA. My man was die enigste een in die gesin wat baie goed kon Engels praat agv van sy werk. Maar vandat ons verlede jaar November hier in Oz aangekom het tot nou het ons taalgebruik BAIE verander. My jongste kon nie eers Engels lees of spel nie, maar met ekstra lesse by die skool en die invloed van die Ozzies het hy tot die aksent baasgeraak en klink hy nes hulle:rolleyes: (hy het ook eers op 28 maande behoorlik begin praat - sy tongvlies was vas)

Ek het tot onlangs nog gevoel ek 'bly agter' en my gesin beweeg aan, ek het geen Engelse vriende gemaak nie en was bang iemand lag vir my oor my gebroke Engels. Eers het ek begin om my Engels 'uit te toets' op die maatjies wat kom speel het. Kinders lag nie sommer vir mens se foute nie en skroom nie om mens reg te help nie. Toe het ek besluit om te begin werk tydens skoolure... to get myself 'out there'!

Since then my life changed dramatically :ilikeit: I am much more confident to speak English now. I think we are a 'switching' family :blink: we switch between the two languages. When I drive to work I put on my radio to get me into English-mode, and when I drive back home "doef-doef my kar met afrikaanse musiek".

I still speak Afrikaans to my kids and probably always will :lol:

Sterkte vir jou!!

Hi New.

Sien jy kom van Vanderb. park af ek is daar gebore :ilikeit: Ja ons is amper 2 jaar in Perth en my dogtetjie het so vinnig Eng. geleer as wat jy jou vinger kan klap :lol:

Glo my julle sal ok wees hoor.

Gee dit net kans en vat dit rustig dag vir dag.

'Beukes Familie'

Jy is meer as welkom om 'n draai te maak as jy in die omgewing is!!!!!!! Ek hou duime vas dat jy werk kry as jy dit kan doen ek ek later ook, wie weet.

Ons gaan partykeer daar verby na die suid afrikaanse winkel toe, sal inloer as ek weer daar is.

Watse werk doen jou man hier en werk hy in die dorp?

Jammer vir al die vrae. Meskein kan ons mans ook ontmoet....

Lekker naweek vir jou!

Hi

Dankie vir die uitnodiging. Ons is net 2km verby die Suid Afrikaanse winkel so as julle weer gaan laat weet dat ons mekaar kan ontmoet.My man werk in Osborne Park, hy is in die drukkers/verpakking industrie. Watse werk doen jou man?

'Beukes Familie'

My man werk in Area C as 'n hydraulic fitter. 2 Weke aan 1 week af. Hy kom juis woensdag huistoe.

Ek sal jou ingedagte hou as ons weer suid afrikaanse winkel toe gaan.

Lekker aand verder

HI New,

We have been here 5 weeks. We are afrikaans and my son also speaks afrikaans. the only exposure he got to english or is getting is from Barney and other childrend dvd's.

He has played in the playparks here with australian kids probably twice a week for 5 weeks and he can say the following already:

He calls his Pappa now daddy

Says Look tree

Look Cow, Look Cars, We go on Bus, We go on train, Bad goy (Bad guy) Let's go, come friend come, Come boi (come boy) Nooooo, Wait for me, Mommy instead of mamma, He his actually starting to speak to us english when he asks us something.

So, don't worry, the children pick it up.

Oh, and for the record to protect other boy mothers, I have two boys, one spoke sentences when he was just over a year the other one is now 16 months and can only speak a couple of words, I don't think it is a gender thing, I just think it is the same story as always, all children aren't the same and it all depends on their environment they are exposed to.

Good luck to you and don't worry.

Take Care

Tanja

Hi there,

Just to support Tanja, I have two boys. Gabby spoke early and Seth who is now 18 months also only says the basics - mama, dada, Ta and Bye. But he understands a whole lot and if you say certain words he will point out objects. Dont stress, your mom instinct will tell you if something is wrong. As long as they are babbling along with you then they are fine!

Al