Dpruse: Any advice welcome!

Dpruse

I am currently working in the middle -east and have set my heart upon re-locating to Aus. I have contacted an agency in australia who swears they will be able to find me good work in my profession within the next 6 months.

My question now is this: Would it be better to go over with a sponsorship? Or wuold you rather recomment applying for PR and then go? I am not too worried about the time frame at the moment, -I enjoy my work and earn good money, -but would like to be in Aus within the next 2 years.

Any advice regarding said matter will be deeply appreciated.

Edited by Dpruse

Hi Dpruse

Welcome to the forum.

You would have to decide what you want out of it before you decide the visa type.

If time is not an issue, and you meet the requirments - a PR is great and very secure - you are a permanent resident when you arrive. But it does take some time - about 12 months give or take. the process is very easy and you can do it yourself in most cases and save on agents fees.

the 457 work sponsored visa is very quick - and great if time is an issue or if you dont meet the requirements for a PR visa. bearing in mind you have to find a sponsor.

So - weigh up your personal situation and decide from there. Remember -you can apply for a PR and in the meantime look for work. If you get sponsored in on a 457, your app for PR will continue to run in the background, until it is issued when it will cancel out the 457 (the last visa issued is the one you have - so dont apply for a 457 if your PR is near completion!)

good luck and keep us posted!

Hi

Welcome to the forum!

We came on a 457 and the company paid for all reloaction costs, we could not have afforded to come on a PR period. The company will also be applying for PR on our behalf, again we don't have the expense. But not all companies offer this, also there are plans to chnge the 457 visa to what the employer must pay for. Also if your employer cancels the 457 visa you have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave. 457 however and generally granted much quicker then PR and if you are in the country converting from457 to PR I have heard they are processed more quickly (although I am not 100% sure on this)

What is your profession, are you on the skills list? If you are I would imagine that its all boils down to how quickly you want to be there and if you can financially take on the cost. I am pretty sure if you applied for PR you could be here in 2 years, providing its not too muach of a hassel to organise all your docs from the middle east.

Hope this helps

Candice

We personally have opted for the PR route as a family. We felt that this kept us in control of the situation and allowed us to make decisions freely, not tied down to a job offer. That said we are moving from a position where we believe that because of our backgrounds we will find employment. I have heard of people who have felt that they have been messed around or not treated altogether well by employers who sponsor because of the dependancy factor. But, obviously sponsorship helps with costs.

Good luck anyway.

Al

All of the above!

Oh and welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Also - depends on your age. If you're close to 45, you'll want to start a PR application now.

If you're not in a rush, you might as well go the PR route - even though it takes longer - and you can always apply for a job in the mean time.

best of luck with it all,

Leigh

Hi and welcome

All of the above as everyone else has stated.

Enjoy reading through all the posts , you will get a good insight to help make up your mind.

Regards

Enrica

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate all your advice.

I think it may be wise to maybe apply for PR, go for a holiday in Aus, and then find work and a sponsor.

Which brings me to the next question:,

The country where i am currently working is quite off the beaten track, and they don't have a Australian embassy here.

So is it possible to do this whole application over the net?

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate all your advice.

I think it may be wise to maybe apply for PR, go for a holiday in Aus, and then find work and a sponsor.

Which brings me to the next question:,

The country where i am currently working is quite off the beaten track, and they don't have a Australian embassy here.

So is it possible to do this whole application over the net?

Hi and WELCOME to the forum!

Yes, absolutely! You can do the application online, except meds and IELTS of course. (I did read somewhere that some countries offer IELTS online, but can't remember where?!)

Good luck with the process...

zorba

:rolleyes:

You can do everything on the net - maybe book your IELTS in Australia for when you are on holiday, if there is nowhere where you are now?

You can do everything on the net - maybe book your IELTS in Australia for when you are on holiday, if there is nowhere where you are now?

I am in Badanah, Saudi. But will be in Bahrain in 2 weeks time.

IELTS can be done in either Riyadh, Dammam or Jeddah. Google "IELTS Saudi" and you'll find the procedure. Medicals can also be done from Saudi. I'm based in Jeddah. Not sure about the skills assesment. Still got to figure that one out. Cheers.

Links

http://www.britishcouncil.org/me-saudiarab...glish-ielts.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/s...nel-doctors.htm

Edited by Sandgogga