Die Skim: Aangename Kennis

Die Skim

Hallo almal,

Hierdie is my eerste pos op die forum en ek woon al meer as 8 jaar of is dit jare in Perth.Ek lees van die 'postings' so oor my vroutjie se skouer en ek dink sy is nou gatvol dat ek met haar goeters 'interfere'.

Anyway for the benefit of the Non-Afrikaans Readers I'll continue in the one official language of Australia.

I arrived here in 2000,when the Rand was only R2.70 to the dollar and the housing prices were very reasonable.However,jobs were scarce and in some instances"job experience" were done for no pay.

After six months of staring at the ocean and no job offers,I decided to start a business in recycling i.e.Printer Inks & Toners and eventually repairs as well.

I had to knock on many doors and in the process developed "Bruce Lee" knuckles.Today I can say that failure was not an option and I have had no regrets.

I only wish that the Forum was around earlier as the advice and information available is incredible and fantastic.

We left RSA due to the "normal reasons" i.e. Crime and lack of equal oppotunities for our two young sons.The fact that we were hi-jacked in 1998 was also

a great motivator.

If I can be of any help to anybody who finds it tough/difficult to settle in kindly PM me.I'm learning this as I go along and also by observing the wife.Some of you might have dealt with her on the Forum or met her.She goes by the name Enrica.

Now here's a Better Half with lots of talents.I always tell her that I married better than her and into a better family. :jester: She's an Italian who speaks not only

Afrikaans (I do have some talent) but also French,Portuguese and asmattering of Spanish.She's also trying her hand at Japanese.

Maybe I can get her to fix Printers then my life will be heaven.

To all you new arrivals I do have a tip if you want to make a million Dollars in OZ...bring 8 million Rand.

I'm saying "Good Day Mate" as I've used up all my English.

Die Skim

Hey..

I think you have an outstanding wife....

I cannot imagine the rand/dollar rate being so low...everyday it seems to be creeping up and up...even our visas cost approx r2000.00 more than when we first looked....about six months.scary how weak the rand is, down hill from now on i guess?

I am sorry we arent coming to perth..you guys really sound like great people...!

One question, do you find that south africans arriving in perth these days find it easier to get jobs than for example when you arrived?? What has changed...my brother who lives in sydney has said that the australia life style is much more laid back than our stressful south africn one and that south africans usually get jobs pretty quickly because we are so eager...

he has been there for about 15 yeas, went over as a systems analyst, now is a postie..his motto is why work hard when you can get the same quality of life from having a stressless job???

I cant imagine it somehow....am so used to having to fight for every little thing at work...promotion is like a golden egg, what with BEE and so on...I cant wait to be recognised for my skills and knowledge and not un- recognised because of my colour...I spend the day fixing others mistakes but they still get the pay increase and promotion....cant get much worse!!

Lyall

Hello Skim!

Welcome - at last - to the forum...

Now if I could just get my other half to do the same :jester:

Leigh

Hi Lyall,

Yes,it is a pity you're not coming to Perth.The landing is so much softer.

When we arrived jobs were extremely hard to come by and you had to take what you could get.We know people who arrived and send 100's of CV's to apply for jobs.They eventually settled to drive as couriers/work as plumbers assistants/house cleaners/postie drivers etc in order to earn some dollars.Some become very despondent and went back only surface again 2 years later,stating the same reasons you are mentioning now.You will still realise later on that migrating to Australia was biggest thing you have ever done.(apologies to the wife's and moms who thinks that marriage and childbirth is number one.)

Jobs are plentyfull now and you will most propable find a job in the field you have trained for.A lot of new arrivals come on Job Sponsorship(s) which was unheard of in 2000.WA has a booming economy and any new Saffers (if they are not too fussy) will find a job.

Australians don't care what you do and what you drive!!! They are very relaxed and I have also become relaxed.(Enrica thinks that if I get anymore relaxed I'll lapse into acoma.)

I really love the lifestyle and quality of life here and your friend is correct,you can earn a living without the stress.

In my opinion noboby in the world does weekends better than the Australians.It's "sommer baie lekker" (very,very nice).

When coming to Australia,promise yourselves 1000 days (to do you basic tarining and education) in the Australian way of doing things.I promise you with

a positive and "never die" attitude it WILL get better.

I also have a friend here (from PE) who arrived with a Phd in Industrial Pshycology.He is a Gardener/Lawnmover Guy and he loves it.

Hope my scriblings have been of some help.

cheers for eers

Die Skim

Hey Die Skim

We will be going to Sydney and I will soon after arrival try to set my wife up in a printing business but hey maybe ink refills can also fit in. I would like to ask you some business questions about Oz in the near future if that is alright.

Your english is quite good mate!

Andre

Edited by No Worries Mate

Hey there Skim

Nice to meet you! You really have a great wife! We all love her here.

Hubby and I (and my 2 boys) are also hoping to be landing in Perth sometime over the next 18 months. We look forward to meeting you guys!

So nice to hear from people who are living our dream!

Take care

Carrie

Hey Die Skim

We will be going to Sydney and I will soon after arrival try to set my wife up in a printing business but hey maybe ink refills can also fit in. I would like to ask you some business questions about Oz in the near future if that is alright.

Your english is quite good mate!

Andre

Andre,

You are welcome to ask anytime mate

Hi "Die Skim"

I absolutely love that name of yours..... brings back memories.....!

An official welcome to SaAustralia, although you have been lurking for a while over Enrica's shoulder! Obviously she has now dusted you off and now we can doubly benefit, with your knowledge as well! Thanks for that Enrica!

If you guys ever find yourself Melbourne way, I have a room going spare!

Hi Skim,

I wonder how many forumites can say they haven't in some or other way benefitted from advice from Enrica. I haven't been on the forum that long and trust me she has helped me a lot of times.

Maybe I should convince hubby to go online by himself as well. he has been lurking over my shoulder since I joined and the last week or two he has been replying on my name, he actually stares me down to get me out of the chair so that he can read by himself.

Enjoy

Rene

Hi Guys,it's I would like to thank ''yous all'' to use some Aussie Slang with apologies to Jeff Fennech (ex Australia World Boxing Champ)'

Thanks to Mara for the invite to Melbourne,when in Perth ditto to ''yous all'' as we also have a spare bed & bathroom available.

I agree that my little Italian is wonderfull and my sons told me that she's Mother Theresa,I hope not...she was celebate.But she (Enrica) does have a heart bigger than a Taxi to Soweto.(altyd plek vir nog een)(always palce for one more).

To all new arrivals to Australia I'll use an old Army Term ''Vasbyt''.Translated loosely in English (suck it up)You need all your teeth in your head to say this.''Vasbyt'' sounds better.

Cheers vir eers.''Die Skim''