Yet another drivers license question

MichaelvdBerg

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there had any issues with car hire in Brisbane? Do they just allow you to drive with a Saffer license or do they need other docs/info/whatever.

Is there any advice that anyone can give me on what to do with licensing?

\m/ichael

Q Do I need to have an International Drivers Licence?

A If you will be driving for a period that is longer then three (3) months and you have an International Drivers Licence it will be honored by Australian law. If you plan to stay in Australia for more than three months and intend to drive for that period you are required to obtain an International Drivers Permit.

Michael I googled Brisbane Car Hire and whent into the Alpha Car hire site, they have a FAQ section and I copied pasted the above!! looks like I'll have to eat my words. However just email them and hear.

Sorry Nilo

I beg to differ....when I arrived at the airport and produced my International drivers licence at the car hire company - the guy turned it over again and again and kept reading it - when I asked him what was wrong - he asked me whether I just had a normal SA drivers licence - which I produced and he was happy to hire me a car... Some families have driven here for a year or more on their SA licences...so dont waste money on an international licence...when I asked the lady at the transport office she told me that they didnt need them and I should have just saved my money..

Sorry Nilo

I beg to differ....when I arrived at the airport and produced my International drivers licence at the car hire company - the guy turned it over again and again and kept reading it - when I asked him what was wrong - he asked me whether I just had a normal SA drivers licence - which I produced and he was happy to hire me a car... Some families have driven here for a year or more on their SA licences...so dont waste money on an international licence...when I asked the lady at the transport office she told me that they didnt need them and I should have just saved my money..

Ah ok cool...thanks for both replies. I hate getting my planning wrong and having to carry my bags on a skateboard :D

We hired cars in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney... and my Int Drivers never came out of my bag... they only wanted the SA one. Real waste of time and money that was!

Heather I was under the impression that you didn't need the Int. License eather until I went and googled the dem thing and found the FAQ's and there is was Black on White!! Also thought it a little odd!! As I have been telling every one not to spend their money on Int. Lic.

Maybe just email the company you would like to use Michael. Just for incase!!

I would believe Carrie they've been here and done that!!

You definitely CAN use your SA driver's license for the first 3 months, by then you need to have gotten your Australian one. Not something I look forward to after driving for so many years, having to re-do it! Sure to have picked up so many bad habits! A friend of mine on the Gold Coast failed hers 1st time round.

I rented a car using international and RSA licence. THe international one got a few strange looks. BUT the international drivers licence is considered a Photo ID and is useful for opening bank accounts buying cars etc.

On a temporary residence permit you dont need to get an Australian licence in QLD. Only PR need to get a licence. I lost a wager by believing you must in 3 months as well.

If you are PR and they catch you driving it is a good few $100 fine and a warning as a friend of mine found out

Hi All.

Just to put this to bed...I rented a car on my SA drivers license...

Yay

Can ANYONE give me some answers asap, please as we fly on 15 July and I really need to know what to do before then:

I have a Temporary SA licence, as I had to reapply for my drivers (long story). This is valid for 6 months starting from today.

1. Will this suffice (we are on a 457) for 3 months as some of you say?

2. If not, what is involved in getting an Aussie licence from scratch?

We are going to have to buy a car, and I will need to drive to work from 21/7!

We are going to Perth.

Anyone else had a similar situation?

Corne

Edited by CorneJ

Hi there

The following link should answer your questions

Your license

You can drive for 12 months on your S.A license on a 457- in WA.

If you do decide to just do the Australian license remember to specify that you want to transfer an overseas license( otherwise they will enter you into the system as a learner with all the attached restrictions), they will look for a list of countries, u.k drivers etc just have to do the online theory test, S.A drivers have to sit a practical too.

Email them to check that your temporary license will satisfy.

Edited by AndreaL