JeanneY: Following the yellow brick road

JeanneY

Dear members of the SAAustralia Forum(s)

My name is Jeanne. Our family are moving to Oz, hopefully we will be flying out early October 2008.

I have been reading and following discussions on the site for a while now. Found the info on the site to be extremely valuable. Made one or two contributions. I kept a very low profile as my husband needed an opportunity to personally break the news to his colleagues first.

We are both academics. My husband has accepted a position at a University in Melbourne.

We have two kids, a girl, aged 10 and a son, aged 5.

I am looking forward to participate in the forum, learn a lot more and assist with information where I can.

Regards

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your decision to move to Australia.

You will find many friends on this forum.......it is a lifesaver.

We are off to Tasmania during September this year.

All the best with your big move.

Annette

Welcome to the Forum and I wish you every success with your chosen path.

Welcome from Melbourne, if there is anything we can do to make your move easier, do not hesitate to shout!

Welcome Jeanne

best of luck with the move over :(

And congrats to your husband on his job offer!

Leigh

Dear Mara, Leigh, Kerry-Lea, Enrica and Annette

Many thanks for all the good wishes. Too late for a warning - I am addicted to the site already!

I am the household's "administrative manager" and at the moment I feel as if I am in information overload. Prepared myself for a 457 application just to be informed by the employer that a PR application should take them about 6 weeks with better benefits etc. and now I need to remake my lists and stuff! Is anyone familiar with the PR process viz a viz 457 applications?

We are going to live in Geelong. So, while the administrative process is chugging along at its own pace, I am desperately looking for temporary furnished accommodation in Geelong.

Annette, we are in the proccess of making money decisions and we are obtaining information about a number of issues. In addition, I know a person working for the Commonwealth Bank who is well versed in Australian banking issues and the transfer of money, in particular from SA, etc. Just shout if you have specific questions and I will try to get an answer.

Another thing I have learnt this week: Do not pay thousands of rands to get an electricity certificate if you do not plan to sell your house within the next 12 months. The municipality is not bothered about the date of the certificate but the banks are VERY unwilling to grant bonds on houses with electricity certificates older than 12 months - Think it is info worthwhile posting in the general forum?

Cheers

Jeanne

HI and welcome,

Have some friends that moved to Geelong over a year ago,they are renting in Torquay,if you need some help with accommodation I can ask them to give me some contacts if you like!