Making boerewors in Perth...

Legalbuff

Hey everyone!!

We are now officially on the countdown for our flight to Perth, and now the last minute shopping and packing and sorting etc etc etc has started.

One thing we've decided to buy, it a thingamajick to make boerewors. My husband and his family owned a butchery at some stage and he has loads of experience, and it seemed like a good idea.

Now my question is this:

a) Is the "derms" available from butcheries, or where do you guys get it from?

:blink: Can you get "Freddie Hirsch" spices there, or can you pack loads in your container, vacuum packed? The lady at the shop swears you can pack it in your container, but personally, I think she wants to make a quick buck. This goes against everything I've read regarding what's allowed in and what not...

Any advice - thanks so much....

L

Someone told me you get synthetic "derms" easily.

When I land, I'll buy some worsies from ya mate! I'll also try to bring along a wors-stopper, would like to have some help once my container has landed. This is not one of my trades yet, I will need some training on this one. :whome:

Hi Legalbuff

You can buy "real" sausauge casing in Perth. Just go to your Italian/European Butchers. build a relationship with them and they can supply you with the casings.

Or just buy your boeries from Gregory's Butchery at the Karrinup shopping centre. His boeries is the best in Perth.

Hey everyone!!

Thanks so much!! I will definitely try a batch and see what transpires. If it's bad, we'll never mention it again. If not, we'll have you over for a braai!!

Regards

L

No problem to get casings at any butchery. If you want to put spices in your container or ask somebody to send it with a courier, make sure you enclose a letter from Freddy Hirsch setting out the content of the mixture, otherwise customs will charge you something like $140 to inspect and clear the parcel.

You can buy real casings and you can buy the spices required from a numberof SA shops but boerewors is so easily obtainable in Ozzie its just not worth the hassle of maing it yourself.

lekker Braai

Desv

AG nee man DesV!!!

No such talk when it comes to my dreams of becoming a boerewors maker!!! I'll have you over for a braai and you'll never return to Ozzie boeries again!! :ilikeit:

And besides - doing it is half the fun!! (I'm saying that NOW, having never done it before. We'll talk again, obviously...) :ilikeit:

Thanks for the info though!!!

:ilikeit:

I've searched perth for boeries, but have not find the right one yet. It's as if they don't add enough spices to it. I'll try Gregory's Butchery at the Karrinup shopping centre as that's 3 km's from me. But for making your own and if you know how, why not do it! PM me when you've arrived, rather say "container arrived", and I'll bring a slab of beer, bag of charcoal and start the fire while supporting you in making some real South African boeries!!! Best way to make some instant "real" friends in Perth!

See ya mates!

AG nee man DesV!!!

No such talk when it comes to my dreams of becoming a boerewors maker!!! I'll have you over for a braai and you'll never return to Ozzie boeries again!! :ilikeit:

And besides - doing it is half the fun!! (I'm saying that NOW, having never done it before. We'll talk again, obviously...) :ilikeit:

:holy:

I agree with you Lagalbuff, there is absolutly no harm in trying to make your own boerewors. A few friends some good vino and you are well on your way.

Give it a go!!!!

I made wors some years back... Trouble was my mincer gave me trouble... so it was kinda like steak wors... every other mouthful you got a chunk of steak! Other than that the flavour was amazing.

We hopefully headed for Perth... so maybe we can compare notes on this wors thingie when we get there!!

Hi,

I'm in Albury, we moved across from Secunda two years ago.

Myself and a couple of other former South Africans make our own wors. I bought a machine here. Each has his own recipe and we have a huge wors making social and have braai-offs after to determine the best wors of the day. Fresh wors tends to burst, but after a couple of cold ones, who cares?

Anyway, casings are readily available in Aus, wors spices are available from the SA shops and the ingredients for the spices (coriander, cloves, all-spice etc) are available from all the supermarkets (Cole's, Woolies & Safeway).

A friend of mine in Secunda tried to post me Freddy Hirsch spices (Biltong & Boerewors). AQIS (www.aqis.gov.au) grabbed it. I had a wonderful lady from Freddy Hirsch, South Africa trying to help me in getting the spices released by supplying heaps of papers with proof of contents, processes etc. Two months later I conceded defeat and gave permission to have the consignment destroyed. After my experience, I would not advise you on packing spices. Some make it others don’t.

I would suggest you rather finding your own boerewors spice recipe and using that than relying on store bought spices. It’s lots of fun and makes wors making never boring!

Have a look at our website www.awsag.org.au (Albury Wodonga South African Group) for some of our recipes.

Regards

AussieBruce

I think its great that you all do this. Yes, it is easy to go and buy wors that the butchers/shops, but I think is important to maintain that cultural experience and pass this on to your children and grandchildren.

Well done on all you guys in Albury :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Sory guys, have been offline for a couple of weeks!!

AussieBruce, do I detect a dare?? We shall have to do the get together wors thing. Sounds like heaps of fun, and any excuse for a cold brew is a good one, right??

Have a great day!!! And thanks for the link, will check it out!!

• 2 months later...

We brought loads of spices over in our container, so stock up before you leave..

We buy our wors (patties, mince, biltong) from D.Jay's in Malaga, always fresh, supporting the Saffers in Aus :rolleyes: .

Ausraven

• 9 years later...