got an email

SHAUN / ANITA

received an email from a company in OZ in follow up to the phone call my hubby got on thrusday 12 june 08. They have given salary, work hours etc and they sound like people to work for. They are family orintated like us as well. My hubby has to contact them for further discussions but he is a little scared of leaving SA. I on the other hand have no problem leaving this country. As I told him, we have to think of our children and their future and that is something they do not have in this country. I don't beleive that children must grow up in fear of their lives. My hubby will be contacting them over the next few days and we will see what happens from there. I think it all happened so fast for him. His brother is also trying to get to OZ so his family will end up there and if he doesn't take this oppurtunity then we will be left behind is this country. Not a good idea. It is in East Hawthorn, Melbourne, Victoria.

Would you recomend that area to anyone? We like taking strolls and site seeing and relaxing on the beach. I am excited but I will only get really happy once my hubby has taken the job. I could really kick him (excuse the pun) cos this is an opportunity you can not let go. Who knows when another one will come up.

Anita :whome: : :P

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree!!! Some people really stuggle to get a sponsor, so I will really take this opportunity if I was you!

Hi Anita

As a husband and father, I also initially hesitated. The burden on me to make the right decision felt overwhelming. I want the best for my family, but what if it does not work out, will my wife still love me? Will my children despise me? What if I don't smoke the pipe at work? What if..

There is a lot of positive things about Australia, rather concentrate on that rather than the negatives of SA. This forum is full of it.

Be patient and don't pressurize to much, he WILL make the right decision.

Holding thumbs for you

Barries

Hi Anita

As a husband and father, I also initially hesitated. The burden on me to make the right decision felt overwhelming. I want the best for my family, but what if it does not work out, will my wife still love me? Will my children despise me? What if I don't smoke the pipe at work? What if..

There is a lot of positive things about Australia, rather concentrate on that rather than the negatives of SA. This forum is full of it.

Be patient and don't pressurize to much, he WILL make the right decision.

Holding thumbs for you

Barries

I know my hubby will make the right decision, as a family we have always stood by him no matter what. I will be disappointed if he decides not to go but I am sure we will get over it. If he decides to go then we will be over the moon with joy. His sister is over there and his brother is looking to move over as well so I think that will have some influence in his decision. Like you say, the pressure is on the husband and father to make sure that the family is taken care of and financially sound. It is harder for the husband/father than it is for the wife/mother cos we go where he goes. What will be will be.

Anita

I totally agree!!! Some people really stuggle to get a sponsor, so I will really take this opportunity if I was you!

I am waiting on tented hooks for my hubbys decision. He needs to know that we support him in his decisions and on this one we support him all the way.

Please say a little pray for us.

Thanks

Anita :blink:

There are days when I feel doubt, that I am going to sacrifice a lot to move to Oz. I have a collection of Bonsai tree's that I have been growing for over 15 years that I will have to leave behind. But I also feel that I am not wanted here.

Statistically Oz is the burglary capital of the world so I am not expecting a bed of roses. I know its going to be a struggle. We have 2 sons and the decision to move was perhaps the hardest decision we have had to make.

But in my heart I have to believe that I can offer my family a better life. Not a wealthier life but a better life where they have piece of mind and are safer even if we get burgaled. A life where they can walk down the streets of whatever town or city that we settle in and appreciate it and enjoy it.

I say this with sadness in my heart because I had to take my wife and sister-in-law to Durban on Sataurday and while waiting for them my youngest and I took a walk to the city hall. The dirt, decay, litter around there was disgusting. Brass plates have been removed from the walls obviously destined for the scrap merchants. And this on the day before comrades when there are hundreds of visitors from abroad visiting. It is a place I have always loved, a beautiful old building. Now probally a symbol of colonialism.

It is seeing that that drives home why I am leaving, I think for each person it is personal, I want to go while I still love SA, before I start to hate it. I am tired of the negativity. I want to live in a positive community.

Anita it took me 14 years to make the decision, hopefully for your sake it wont take your hubby that long.

We all need to stay positive.

"Statistically Oz is the burglary capital of the world "

The_Cramers

Surely this is not correct!?!? Please tell me you made a joke!!

Barries

I will find you the source reference, OZ Burglary Capital Then India Followed by SA as Murders Capitals. I do stand to be corrected on this one though.

The Cramers, I think you need to go and check the stats again, the USA is the burglary capital of the world, Australia does not even figure on the stats and SA is at number 4.

The Cramers, I think you need to go and check the stats again, the USA is the burglary capital of the world, Australia does not even figure on the stats and SA is at number 4.

Sjoe, dankie Mara. Ek het net begin panick! :blush:

• 1 month later...

Anita, any news on the job offer that your husband received?

Top 5 rankings as follows:

US

Germany

UK

Australia

South Africa

Bad things happen everywhere - when I was living in Dublin, my sister moved across and was working at a Mcdonalds as a student and was held up in a armed robery - in a supposed gun free country!

I only spotted this now, but I am sorry to say that The_Cramers is correct about the burglaries.

Australia is the Burglary capital of the world

South Africa is the assult capital of the world

South Africa is the murder by firearm capital of the world

South Africa is the rape capital of the world

(Although the scary thing is that Australia is third on the list)

I may not need to live behind a 6 foot wall in Australia, and my sense of freedom is huge when driving around (not worried about being hijacked) - but crime is a world wide phenomenon, and being blind to it is bad not matter where you are.

I think Aus has a high burglary rate per capita because people are a little too trusting of their fellow man, so it is easier to break in. I guess the bonus is, if someone does rob my house, I will live through the event, more than likely no one would be assaulted or raped during the ordeal, I will have a decent police service to report to, and more often than not the culprits will be caught and properly incarcerated.

I think the lesson here is; yes it is greener on the other side, but the wolves are still about and the sheep need to be watched, a lazy shepherd is going to get into trouble no matter where they go.

@SHAUN / ANITA - I hope you guys have come right with your application and sponsorship.

Edited by MichaelG

An interesting thing about that 'Australia is the Burglary capital of the world' link is that if you scroll to the bottom of the page it has this golden nugget:

DEFINITION: Total recorded burglaries. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

Bingo.

An interesting thing about that 'Australia is the Burglary capital of the world' link is that if you scroll to the bottom of the page it has this golden nugget:

DEFINITION: Total recorded burglaries. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

Bingo.

The same can be said for the other stats too. And we know this isn't true for SA. Avoid this line of argument when SA still leads in the other areas.

What I did NOT notice before is that the stats are OLD - 1998 - 2000

My apologies for adding to the flames without seeing that, I would like to see stats which have dates between 2005 - 2007.

Hi. Just to let you know we are now in Melbourne. From what you describe you want, you will love it here. People even go for runs in the park in the city during lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been in Melbourne now for 2 weeks and I just love it. This is where I want my kids to grow up and where I want to grow old happy and safe.

All I can say is go for it!!!!!!!!!!! you won't regret it.

Love

Trudie