Pet local council laws

Russell

Hi there,

These questions is specifically for those of you with pets and who are also renting homes in Melbourne. What is the “norm†for the number of pets allowed within such rentals? Are two dogs and one cat considered excessive? Would I need to get special permission from the local council for such excess’? Which councils / areas generally disallow three pets or more?

I do understand that pets are generally not allowed at all in flats / apartments. I also do understand that in a cluster development of sorts would be governed by body corporate rules etc etc. I also understand that we need to register our pets with the local council and that such pets need to be confined etc.

Our dilemma is as follows:

We as a family had two dogs and two cats in South Africa as at end of March. Our two dogs are currently in quarantine at Keringa and will be out of quarantine by October this year.

We decided to give our cats up for “adoption†due to the fact that they are free spirited animals who would suffer more in a confined environment than that of a dog. Finding a home for them was extremely difficult but in the end we managed to do so for both of them and we were confident that they would enjoy their new surroundings. However our male cat “ran away†after a week in his new home and the new owners were, to my irritation, not very proactive in trying to track him down. I returned to the area last week, distributed flyers and knock on doors but was initially unsuccessful. However yesterday I returned with my wife for one final attempt and after a prolonged search in the area we found him in a Hospice home not very far from his initial new home. He had been missing for 10 days and it was a fantastic re-union. Needless to say I feel it is Devine intervention and a sign that we need to take him with us. At this stage I don’t care about the costs and it is purely an emotional decision.

I look forward to all your responses.

Regards

Russell

Whether you could have pets in a rental is not decided by the council, but by the owner. They are generally very negative about allowing pets in their rentals as it does cause damage if ppl don't look after the property (scratch marks on wooden floors, hair, scuff marks, damages to garden, urine stains & smells on carpets etc). So, you should look for a "pet friendly" property when you start your search - they usually state if pets are not allowed (or even sometimes if they are) - otherwise ask the agent.

Hi Russell

As far as your question about the city council bylaws, usually it is two dogs and two cats, any more than that and you have to get special permission. There are many councils across Melbourne, it would be hard to say what each one's bylaws are without knowing where you plan to live.

Many thanks,

Mara, when you say

usually it is two dogs and two cats
, does this mean that this is the general expectation or is this a permanent law?

I am just trying to get a feel for what the law says VS my legal ability to bring over my pets. I certainly do not want to restrict myself to far reaching suburbs just because all the decent suburbs restrict pets to, for instance, two only!!

Not sure if I am making sense here and just confusing the post :)

Russell if I were you I would just keep quiet about the pets when you put in application for rental properties (not really the ethical thing to do but I think you are going to struggle to find a decent rental property if you are honest and upfront about the number of pets you have...)

Then what happens when the owner visits and sees the dogs? Just play dumb?

We will certainly not be popular!! May be not the wisest thing to do!!

Then what happens when the owner visits and sees the dogs? Just play dumb?

We will certainly not be popular!! May be not the wisest thing to do!!

They are supposed to give you notice if they intend to inspect the property.

I know I'm telling you to be devious, but I really think if you are honest and up front about the number of pets, you won't even get a look-in at most properties. But maybe that's jut the case here in Canberra where the rental market is so competitive, I don't know if it necessarily would be like that where you are going.

Russell if I were you I would just keep quiet about the pets when you put in application for rental properties (not really the ethical thing to do but I think you are going to struggle to find a decent rental property if you are honest and upfront about the number of pets you have...)

I would not advocate this. You are signing a legal binding contract with the owner when you rent. Very often they do ask whether you have pets or not - then to lie is just not Australian. You could also be dobbed in by the neighbours and find yourself in a sticky situation.

Having pets will make it harder to rent for all the reasons mentioned in other posts

As Mara was saying - every council as different bylaws when it comes to Pets - there are certain state laws that the council have to follow - have a look at the Frankston Council on Animal management it makes reference to what is governed by State vs local council

Some other interesting reading

Victoria Responsibl Pets Ownership Program

Pet Registration

Rgds

Matman

Thanks Matman,

I am happy that you mentioned honesty is the best policy. If it takes me longer to find an appropriate property then so be it. I am kind of a stickler for comformity - I think we will fit into Australia quite nicely. No need to take chances when I have an opportunity of a lifetime.

Russell

... and thanks for the useful links!!

Hi Russell,

I managed to secure a rental in Doncaster East (townhouse) and get approval for my 2 Cocker Spaniels without much fuss. :whome: I used the approach of meeting the agent and viewing the property and having a bit of a discussion... We I sensed that she was happy to recommend me to the owner then I broached the subject of my babies... she contacted the owner and he turned out to be a huge dog lover himself, so was only too happy to have me in his property with my dogs. The agent inserted a standard clause in the contract stating any repairs / cleaning required resulting from my dogs being "destructive" would be deducted from my bond (or for me to pay) when I moved out.

I fall within the Manningham City Council and found that 2 dogs and 2 cats are allowed (I think I interpreted it correctly?)... go have a look as I would assume most Melbourne city councils are managed in a similar way.

http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/... council services... animals (I cannot remember how to insert a link :whome:)

At the end of the day it is the owner that will decide... and of course having luck on your side also helps! I would recommend that you allow for a longer initial stay in furnished accommodation etc and give yourself enough time (and energy) to find the RIGHT home for you and your pets... It definitely is possible!!!

Feel free to PM me if you need further info... I have been in Melbourne a month and a half so am happy to share my recent experiences :blink:

PS - hope your babies are doing well at Keringa... I am soooo excited to have mine over here in September / October as well... the parklands are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am missing them like mad, but have NO doubt in my mind I have made the right decision to bring them over!!!

Cheers

Tracey

Hi Russell

Sorry for the late reply, but I am away on holiday, however in answer to your question. I live in the City of Hume and previously Banyule, in both two dogs and two cats are allowed, however, Melbourne has something like 8-10 city councils and I really do not know if all are the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Sorry to reply so late. Been so hectic here over the month or so, moved house, packed container, moved in with dad, company year end, moved in with mom, etc etc. Hectic as all of you over there know what's involved, especially with a seven month old baby. Our biggest stress now is finding a home as quick as possible upon our arrival (especially one that allows pets).

We are now officially three weeks to go before the big move and we are having emotional overload.

Thanks Mara and Tracey for all the valued comments.

Tracey, our babies are just dandy thanks. We visit them religously every weekend and it is a real joy to see them. Like you we have no doubt that we have made the right decision. Savannah our gorgeous retreiver has gain a ton of weight and it looks like lots of morning runs with her when I get there. Cannot wait for our babies to come out of quarantine in October!!!!

Anyway, we will keep everyone posted of our progress.

Regards

Russell