Just another Journey In Life

KathyP

It’s not an easy decision deciding to immigrate. Especially if the reason is because you’re country is in turmoil and the future looks bleak. Any-one who says immigrating is the easy way out, is uneducated.

In March last year we decided to apply for a 163 visa - a state sponsored visa. The paperwork was extensive, you have to not only convince your new adopted country that you are a successful entrepreneur by you’re past experience, you have to provide a business plan of what type of enterprise you will run, including forecasts and predicted expenses. At this stage of the game your emotions are purely business and the family left behind is not too concerned with you’re sudden desire to pack up and go. You begin the process of winding down you’re interests in S.A, calculating how you are going to continue running your south African business, or selling up, while you are setting up a new life in Australia.

In November our sponsorship got granted, only then did our families start to think perhaps we where serious about our intention to immigrate. Inevitably it is also always one half of the couple that is serious about going and the other partner undecided, what followed was months of arguing, heated discussions, loads of tears and finally agreement that what we where doing was for the benefit of not only our children’s future, but our own as well. Our families, bless them, did every thing in their power to convince us we where making a mistake. We heard about every failed business plan, about families returning after loosing half their fortune, about the drug problems in Australia and about the difference in our cultures.

Finally a year from the initial onset, we where called to do our police clearances and medicals. According to our immigration agent, this was just a formality and we should start making plans. We found a school for my daughter and decided to rather change midstream in grade 11 than start in a new country in her final year, planning to immigrate in July 2008. We booked a date for our furniture to be packed up and set about clearing out our homes. As the property market was poor, we decided to rent out our properties and found a lovely tenant who not only agreed to rent our home, but to purchase one of our cars as well. Throughout this time of packing up our home, our family’s and friends continued with the negative stories. No help was forthcoming, the feelings of being “alone†through this period - where intense. Suddenly our familiar home, cars and life style where gone, and funny enough - so where our friends.

Our families slowly started to adjust and accept our decision. Invitations to their homes poured in, daily telephone calls and family gatherings where abundant. Your emotions run high after each family get together as you realize, exactly what you are giving up. Giving up your accumulated possessions - means nothing - finding new friends, is easy - replacing your family structure, impossible. By this stage you are dreading leaving the ones you love behind in a troubled country. You wonder how you are going to continue you’re new life worried about your extended families security. You forget the hard time they put you through and instead live through every “last birthday together, last fathers day together and imagine future Xmas/Easter and all the other family occasions that you will now know no longer be apart of.

It is now early June, our passports have been sent off for the visas to be inserted - we are living in a furnished apartment with nothing familiar around us and each day bringing us closer to the end of this journey. The excitement comes and goes in waves of euphoria and fear, hoping all ends have been tied up - nothing left to chance. In a few weeks time we will begin our new life, the move although difficult - I know is the right one for me and my family. As a parent, it’s the least I can do, as a woman in her 40’s - it’s the kind of peace I want as I grow older. Hopefully, my family left behind will see immigration as possible - and follow. If not, there will always be a spare room and loving arms waiting for them.

Hey Kathy

Thanks for sharing that with us. It is such a huge emotional experience to go through. I wish you and your family all the best in Australia! May your business prosper and may your children experience all the wonderful opportunities available to them in a first world country.

Take care and have a good trip!

Carrie

As a parent, it’s the least I can do, as a woman in her 40’s - it’s the kind of peace I want as I grow older

Hi Kathy, My reasons as well. Good luck, it is not easy to go. We are here 4 months and some days is hard, but we will survive.

People dont want to believe you, i think it is because they dont want you to go, but enjoy all the get togethers, the memories will last forever.

Hope all will go well for you and your family.

Cheers vir eers

Hi Kathy,

I understand your emotions 100% as we are following the same path you have taken with the 163.Only difference being that we have no family to leave behind and our friends like your have drifted.In a way it will be easier for us to leave because of the family aspect but am anticipating surges of emotion too.We are still waiting to hear and started this arduous task in April last year so we are right behind you.The 163 ers are a rare breed and often difficult to convey our worries as it is completed different from skills related visas.But at the end of the day,no matter what visa you applied for ,this is the WORST and BEST thing we will ever do in our lives and it takes people of courage to withstand the test of time.So hats off to everyone on this forum who has taken up the challenge and let us go fourth with pride to reach the end of our rainbow :thumbdown:

Hey THAT sounds like us too. I am leaving in Oct and wife and kids come in November.

I feel all those emotions now also!

Thanks...at least I (and you) are not alone

Andre