Aussie Fauna: King Brown Snake

Guest Mauritz

Guest Mauritz

I'm going to write a bit about the Aussie creatures I come across bow hunting or fishing. I'm sometimes a day or two away from 'help' and the following baby can be a worry sometimes, especially when you're standing on one. You'll see I like scientific names - two reasons: Common names can differ across the country and I'm not an ignorant hunter - I like to know what's going on around me - learning a scientific name or two can't hurt..

The King Brown or Mulga (Pseudechis australis)

Mulga is actually a better name, as this snake is not a member of the Brown Snake family (Pseudonaja). It actually belongs to the the Black snake genus (Pseudechis). The Mulga is known for it's fondness of other snakes - it eats them like spaghetti. It also feeds on rats, mice, lizards and birds.

The length of this snake varies from 1.5 to 3 metres. It produces more venom than any other Australian snakes (180mg) and can strike repeatedly. The maximum venom obtained from one snake at a single milking was 600mg. The venom is less toxic than other Aussie snakes, but the large venom output makes it deadly.

The venom is unique in that it attacks the muscles of the body - causing paralysis by muscle damage, rather than attacking the nerves. Victims of this snake often make the mistake of telling medicals staff that they were bitten by a Brown Snake - you actually need large doses 'Black Snake' anti-venom.

If your dog gets bitten - try and kill the snake as vets will use both anti-venoms to ensure your dog's survival. One problem with that - it can cost you up to a $1000 - ask me.

More information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis

Edited by Mauritz

Thanks, interesting.

Wat van die "hoe om hulle te vermei / wat om te doen as hy jou stip in die oë staar" gedeelte?

The average tiger snake produces around 10-20 mg when milked. By comparison, a good sized mulga snake may deliver over 150 mg in one bite

From wikipedia

Guest Mauritz
Thanks, interesting.

Wat van die "hoe om hulle te vermei / wat om te doen as hy jou stip in die oë staar" gedeelte?

The average tiger snake produces around 10-20 mg when milked. By comparison, a good sized mulga snake may deliver over 150 mg in one bite

From wikipedia

Most snakes are the same - they'll strike when you step on them or if they think you're going to hurt them. Best advice - don't step on them :blink: Most people step over logs and rocks - that's when they get bitten by a snake on the other side (where you can't see them). Always step on - then far over the log or rock.

If you come across a snake and it is so close to you - don't move, as it's already ready to strike. It's waiting for you to move. If you stand still, it might have a sniff and then go. The problem with hunting, especially bow hunting is that hunters move 'softly' - surprising or stepping on snakes. If you walk 'noisily' - snakes move away naturally.

The venom is unique in that it attacks the muscles of the body - causing paralysis by muscle damage, rather than attacking the nerves. Victims of this snake often make the mistake of telling medicals staff that they were bitten by a Brown Snake - you actually need large doses 'Black Snake' anti-venom.

What type of venom is it Hemotoxin, cytotoxic or nerotoxic ? These are the main toxins that snakes produce. Nerotoxin paralyze, Cytotoxic destroys cells, hemotoxin attacks the blood sells and you bled dead (doom slang)

If your dog gets bitten - try and kill the snake as vets will use both anti-venoms to ensure your dog's survival. One problem with that - it can cost you up to a $1000 - ask me.

When you or someone (like a dog get bitten) never try and kill the snake you waste valuable time and can be bitten yourself (If it was you that got bitten DON'T start running around it will case the venom to take effect a lot faster) If you get bitten by a puffy or any other snake that is cytotoxic then NEVER use a Pressure-immobilisation methode it will prevent the venom from spreading and the bit area to rot. if you think about it, it logical to have 2-5 % damage to all your cells than 100% in one area.

a Doctor should rather treat the symptoms than just using anti venom. As anti venom can case you to go into an anaphylactic shock and kill you.

There is a EpiPen that can be used to treat anaphylactic shock and contains adrenaline.

We have given courses on snake handling, bites and identification of snakes here is some pics on a course we gave in Mozambique.

IMG_1899e.jpg

IMG_1892e.jpg

IMG_1778e.jpg

IMG_1812e.jpg

Locals2.jpg

Visit our forum and check out all the great info :( www.snakes.co.za

Regards

Chris

I love camping, but in Oz it looks like our camping days are OVER!!! We are in Germany at the moment and went for a mountain hike yesterday. There was a 15cm long brown snake on the hiking trail - and (don't laugh) but I almost passed out! I can't stand the sight of them. My brother use to chase me and my mom around the house with a brown snake (in 'n skoppie) that the cats found in his laundry basket.

I still feel cold when i tell that story! Are there a lot of snakes in Perth? Please say no!!!

Ilani

Guest Mauritz
What type of venom is it Hemotoxin, cytotoxic or nerotoxic ? These are the main toxins that snakes produce. Nerotoxin paralyze, Cytotoxic destroys cells, hemotoxin attacks the blood sells and you bled dead (doom slang)

The venom has neurotoxic, coagulopthic and myotoxic actions, but is of relatively low toxicity. The large quantities of venom is is the problem - the snakes are known to hang on and 'chew' - injecting large quantities of venom.

When you or someone (like a dog get bitten) never try and kill the snake you waste valuable time and can be bitten yourself (If it was you that got bitten DON'T start running around it will case the venom to take effect a lot faster) If you get bitten by a puffy or any other snake that is cytotoxic then NEVER use a Pressure-immobilisation methode it will prevent the venom from spreading and the bit area to rot. if you think about it, it logical to have 2-5 % damage to all your cells than 100% in one area.

Not many adders here, only the death adder (Acanthopis antarcticus) - produce a neurotoxin. Pressure-immobilisation is the way to go Down Under. Most people here, including myself, will kill a snake if an animal was bitten. If you can't - try and identify the snake at least. I don't think people are that stupid - if you don't like snakes, stay away from them. Personally I don't kill snakes when I come across them. I kill them on my property, as I have kids, horses and dogs - otherwise I leave them alone. The Aussies will NEVER kill a carpet snake (python) - many keep one in the shed or stables for rats and mice.

a Doctor should rather treat the symptoms than just using anti venom. As anti venom can case you to go into an anaphylactic shock and kill you.

Anti venoms are used by doctors, medical staff and vets. Some people carry them around. Australia, until recently, was the only country in the world that had snake venom detection kits. A swab from the bite site, blood, urine allows medical staff to select the type of snake anti venom. Found that's not the case with vets. According to statistics, only one in ten cases of bites need anti venom.

Australian anti venoms are established as the safest in the world. When administered with appropriate pre-medication, no reason for them to be withheld, even if the patient has a past history of reaction to equine proteins (eg. snake handlers). Repeated anti venom therapies (after proper pre-medication) caused minimal or no problems.

Mauritz . . . . you're a stirrer!

These poor characters will be too worried to get out the taxi from the airport in case there's a brownie under the car.

In reality, you won't see a snake from one year to the next.

Sure, there are loads of snakes out there, but you're too big for them to eat, so they prefer to get away from you rather than tackle you as an enemy.

I camp in the bush around Australia in my caravan and seldom see one. If I do, I just slowly walk backwards and let them get away quietly.

The golden rule . . . . . Leave them alone and they will leave you alone!

Guest Mauritz
Mauritz . . . . you're a stirrer!

Thanx Bob :blush:

In South Africa, I was taught that the 'boomslang' & Black Mamba were the most poisonous snakes in the world. In Aus I learned differently - you've real beauties here.

A short history of my experiences with snakes in Aus:

Two years ago I stepped on a Red-belly Black while bow hunting, nearly got me - luckily I had loose trousers on. The next day I went fishing at Balleandean and a Brown snake swam towards me - I waved my arms around, belted the water with the fishing rod - only then did it move away - swimming under water. The following day we were in Byron Bay - I went for a run in a Nature Reserve. In a footpath towards the beach I nearly stepped on a Taipan. I chucked sand at it - only moved away very slowly. Three snakes in 3 days and nearly all three of them turned out badly.

The end of last year, a South African lady friend of mine was bitten by a Brown Snake in Toowoomba, at home (it is nearly a city). She spend a day in intensive care and two more days in hospital. A Ridgeback bitch of mine got bitten in the middle of Toowoomba, in the middle of winter by a Brown Snake.

In the last 6 months I killed a Black Snake on our Scottish neighbour's property. I got called out to another property, where I shot a huge Brown. I killed a Black at our front door, another under a water tank and another on the verandah.

I gave friends an Irish Wolfhound X bitch, they came home one day to find the dog dead next to the kids trampoline. Further search found the Brown killed by the dog - under the kids trampoline.

On horseback I see many, many Red-belly blacks. My Connemara pony chucked my once, spooked at a Black snake. While bow hunting I come across all sorts on a regular basis.

Last year at Stanthorpe hospital there were 4 snake bites patients in one week.

In short - I've seen more snakes in Aus in a year, compared to 26 years in Africa - and I grew up in the Kavango.

Edited by Mauritz

Touch wood, but in two years I haven't seen one snake on my property yet, I believe they could be there, but I stomp around making lots of noise. Winter time is good for burning dried vegation/rubbish which I did last weekend, only to have a beautiful bearded dragon fly out there in a hurry of getting fried. We have Lace Monitors as well, about 75 cm long.

Thanks for the stories Mauritz, they always make me laugh :ilikeit::unsure:

If snakes weren't poisonous, they wouldn't bother me at all, but... seeing as they are, where can I find more info, especially pictures about Australian snakes and spiders?

cheers

Sue

So Stanthorpe is a definate no no for me then!.. :whome::holy:

Andre

Well . . . . . what can I say?

With the record you have, Mauritz, it just goes to prove you seldom see a snake in Australia!

You've just struck it bad, I reckon, living in that part of Australia where all the snakes are.

I lost a good dog to a tiger snake in Tasmania. He always went after them when the kids were around. For years he got them, but when he was 13 and getting slower, he got a bit too slow for one one day. He lasted 20 mins afterwards.

He got the Tiger snake though.

Back in '73, I lived in Indooroopilly and nearly stepped on one sleeping in the hollow of the road in the middle of the day . . . . a big black thing. I still remember it.

If ever you get bitten, just do what the black fellahs do . . . . . lie still and quiet till help comes along, after you've bandaged up the limb bitten to stop the lymphatic fluids which carry the poisons around circulating.

Guest Mauritz
With the record you have, Mauritz, it just goes to prove you seldom see a snake in Australia!

You've just struck it bad, I reckon, living in that part of Australia where all the snakes are.

I/we cover plenty of ground by foot or on horseback. I run between 4-6 km's per day - all in the bush areas. I walk the young horses and I ride a lot. I hunt on foot on a weekly basis and we are surrounded by bush. My wife runs around 8-10km's a day and she often see snakes bathing in the sun - she narrowly escaped a couple of times. You can see 'miles' off horseback and years of bow hunting - knowing snakes are around, plus growing up in the heart of Africa, always watching out for snakes and other 'pests' (mostly two legged ones) - the old eyes are as sharp as can come. I guess I'm spending more time in their environment than the average person.

On this forum, some are very anti-hunting - only because their idea of hunting is an overweight d@ckhead with a huge cannon & scope shooting the hell out everything with feathers and fur. True hunting is about a month of smelling roses - taking in EVERYTHING around you - learning the names, sounds, cycles and habits of nature and about 5 minutes of blood. It is amazing what you can spot in the bush if you're on that frequency. True hunting is an art - it keeps you alert, keeps your eyes 'trained'.

Guest Mauritz
Thanks for the stories Mauritz, they always make me laugh :wacko: :wacko:

If snakes weren't poisonous, they wouldn't bother me at all, but... seeing as they are, where can I find more info, especially pictures about Australian snakes and spiders?

cheers

Sue

Pleasure SueB :wacko:

There are plenty of information and sites available on the Net - I had a quick peak. A basic review of snakes, with a few pictures:

http://www.reptilepark.com.au/animals.asp?catID=16

Do a search for Aussie spiders - plenty.

Guest Mauritz
So Stanthorpe is a definate no no for me then!.. :wacko::wacko:

The whole snake and spider things is nothing to worry about. According to this statistics:

Human Deaths in Australia Between 1980-1990, Inclusive (from Stevens & Paxton, 1992)

Total Deaths Average per year

Crocodile Attacks 8

Shark Attacks 11

Lightning Strikes 19

Bee Stings 20

Scuba Diving Accidents 88

Drownings/Submersions 3,367

Motor Vehicle Accidents 32,772

No deaths by Spider bites?

In Australia, only male Sydney Funnel Web Spiders and Redback Spiders have caused human deaths, but none have occurred since anti venoms were made available in 1981. Each year in Australia as many as 4,000 people are bitten. Of these 200 require anti venom treatment and one bite proves fatal

No deaths from Snake bites?

Less than eight presumably. You should also bear in mind that some of the snake attacks would be of people who handle snakes, keep them as pets or other wise live in close proximity to the beasties.

These are old statistics of course, but you don't often hear of deaths by snake or spider.