Sense of community?

DesertDaisy

I have really enjoyed living here in Abu Dhabi. Its extremely cosmopolitan (i.e. you meet people from just about every country in the world) but yet has managed to maintain a very friendly atmosphere. Dubai is less so I think - there everything is money driven. I think because the city is actually on an island. It is very big city though - mostly apartment living, some houses. It has all the ameneties of Dubai, but on a smaller scale.

I currently have the advantage of living within walking distance of my daughter's school, the church and a community centre (which hosts a library, a playgroup, Brownies etc etc). There are massive and beautifully maintained playparks with equipment South African kids would be tremendously envious of. Nothing is more than 20 minutes away. There is very little traffic (other than in the CBD) and life is relaxed. There is a great sense of community. Everyone knows everyone else, or it sure feels like it!

Am I going to get that community feeling in Perth? I know I certainly didn't have it in Joburg. Are there community centres or other places where my kids and I can go and meet people? Is it safe to go cycling/walking in the streets, or are there parks that I can do this in? Are some residential areas better for this than others? Do you have any recommendations?

I am completely unphased about how many South Africans live around me btw. If they are near, great, if they are not, its okay, as none of my friends here are South African.

Hey Daisy!

Am I going to get that community feeling in Perth? I know I certainly didn't have it in Joburg. Are there community centres or other places where my kids and I can go and meet people? Is it safe to go cycling/walking in the streets, or are there parks that I can do this in? Are some residential areas better for this than others? Do you have any recommendations?

Look I don't now Perth very well, have only been there on our first stop of our LSD in 2001 - but from what I hear from friends it is great. I think it would not be any different from the rest of Australia. From our experience here in Brisbane, everything is so community orientated, with gyms, schools, playparks, doggie lead free parks, cycling tracks/paths, free gas BBQ areas, access to public transport, beaches that are safe, the works.

We did not want kids when we arrived here from JHB, but after 2,5 years here we couldn't think of any more ligit reasons not to have kids. As you might know our 1st one is on its way 9 weeks from now. Most of the newer "master developments" are built around this "community living" concept. Have a look of the following as an example of what I mean here in Brisbane and the Gold Coast: 1. North Lakes ( we are moving there next week - into our about to be completed house!) browse the "about this community" top right hand side. http://www.stockland.com.au/Residential/QL...rthLakes/About/

http://www.northlakesgolfclub.com.au/Home/...36/Default.aspx

2. Coomera waters ( we would go live here anytime - actually our 1st choice - if it wasn't so far from my current job) http://www.coomerawaters.com.au/home.asp?pageCategory=home

I'm sure some of our Perthites on this forum will tell you the same story!

So to answer your question - most areas are quite good in this aspect, in comparison with SA, but if this is quite an important aspect you are looking for in a suburb - look for these "master built communities" - we did and are going to enjoy it very much, I'm sure!

Community BUG

Desert Daisy

I think you will find Perth is very much like Abu Dhabi although I have never been there. However, what you were describing sound a lot like Perth.

Perth has a very large expat community. I have lived in two houses here in Perth and both times I had expat neighbors either side.

Also at work looking at the people down the passage there are 4 Ozzies, 1 Russian, 3 South Africans, 2 Namibians and 4 British! Talk about a cosmopolitan community.

The same thing is refelected in the Census stats, can't remember the numbers, but if you looked it up you will see what I mean.

In Perth you will find a huge number of parks most equiped with playgorunds for the kids ( I have not seen anything that can compare both in the USA and Europe) and many equiped with Barbies. There are great community centres, walking paths and cycle paths that has to be some of the best in the world. I would say on par with the Netherlands.

In terms of safety and security the best indicator in my opinion is the number of women that jog alone. Judging by the number that I pass cycling on the way to work (and in the dark in winter) it must be a very safe place!!

We've found Perth friendly and everyone I've met that has moved here has said the same.

I think there are lots of areas in Perth that you can live within walking distance of schools, playgrounds, GPs etc.

The playgrounds are fantastic here - even better than most of the playgrounds we went to in the UK. We're moving to Duncraig in a few weeks but I've already joined the library and GP there and have joined a few playroups for the kids to go to. Hubby will be able to walk to the train station. So I've already got a good feel of the area and think that it is great area. But there are areas around that are good too like Woodvale, Kingsley, Carine, Sorrento & Hillarys (the latter two are more expensive as they are next to the beach).

I have really enjoyed living here in Abu Dhabi. Its extremely cosmopolitan (i.e. you meet people from just about every country in the world) but yet has managed to maintain a very friendly atmosphere. Dubai is less so I think - there everything is money driven. I think because the city is actually on an island. It is very big city though - mostly apartment living, some houses. It has all the ameneties of Dubai, but on a smaller scale.

I currently have the advantage of living within walking distance of my daughter's school, the church and a community centre (which hosts a library, a playgroup, Brownies etc etc). There are massive and beautifully maintained playparks with equipment South African kids would be tremendously envious of. Nothing is more than 20 minutes away. There is very little traffic (other than in the CBD) and life is relaxed. There is a great sense of community. Everyone knows everyone else, or it sure feels like it!

I am completely unphased about how many South Africans live around me btw. If they are near, great, if they are not, its okay, as none of my friends here are South African.

Hi there DD

I can tell you how I found Ellenbrook since we moved here in March, stayed in a different suburb before that.

We have a community centre here with lots going on and community nurse etc. I go to the salvation army centre alot.... on Tuesdays they have kids club for kids from yr 1 to yr 3 after school from 3pm-4:30pm for $3. On Thursday mornings for $5 they have kindy gym for the smaller kids up to kindy age. It's like a play group where mums can take there little ones to play and meet other mums. Afterwards we all sit and have coffee/tea and chat away.

I have met sooo many mums in the area just by going there.

Then on Sundays they have church services with kids church which the kids really enjoy a well...with more tea/coffee afterwards.

Here are many parks and walkways to go to. Shops ( big shopping centre is in fase 1 I think, so going to get bigger still), medical centre. They are busy with High school, police station, aquatic centre etc. We have a little library which wil be upgraded as well. Fitness centre....

I have met so many wonderful people here and it really does feel like one big family sometimes. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I'm sure you will find everything you need in Perth.....we found more than we thought was possible :D

Lindy-Lee

:thumbdown: