Adelaideans

Guest Hopefull

Mike, according to the 2006 Census data, 3722 people indicated that they were born in South Africa. There were 62 023 people who chose not to disclose where they were born.

Here's the link:

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNaviga...xtversion=false

There are quite a few saffers here in rAdelaide!

There are a number of folks off this website who live in Adelaide, myself included (although I'm not South African).

Guest wilna

Ons is ook hier in Adelaide en ek moet sê die Suid Afrikaners is orals, ons het laas week na 'n huis gaan kyk en toe die agent ons hoor afrikaans praat vra sy - so wat dink julle van die huis? Ons koop iets by Bunnings en die vroutjie by die til vra ons - so hoe lank is julle al in Adelaide? Ons sit op die strand en hoor afrikaans. Daar is 2 Suid Afrikaanse onderwysers by my kinders se skool, in my seun en dogter se klas is daar Suid Afikaanse kinders. Ons het 'n paar kerke besoek na ons geland het en in elke kerk was daar Suid Afrikaners. In die kerk waar ons nou is is BAIE Suid Afrikaners. Ek kan aangaan en aangaan.......... :holy:

So wat sê dit vir jou? HIER IS BAIE SUID AFRIKANERS! :lol:

Daar is 10 Suid Afrikaners wat by dieselfde maatskappy as ek werk, en daar is nog so 8 waarvan ek weet op pad. Ek is nog maar eers 'n kort tydjie in Adelaide, en ons het nog nie so baie Suid Afrikaners hier in die noorde van Adelaide raakgeloop nie, ek dink hulle bly oor die algemeen in die meer gegoede woonbuurte... :holy:

Guest wilna
.........ons het nog nie so baie Suid Afrikaners hier in die noorde van Adelaide raakgeloop nie, ek dink hulle bly oor die algemeen in die meer gegoede woonbuurte... :holy:

Ek glo nie Navigator......ons bly hier in Morphett Vale (suid) en glo my hier bly baie Suid Afrikaners...... :lol:

Edited by wilna

Ek ken darem twee Suid Afrikaners wat ook hier in Andrews Farm bly - hulle werk ook saam met my. Soos die huis pryse lyk, sal ek Elizabeth toe moet trek as ek wil koop... :holy:

Dis seker toeval, maar ons bure twee deure vanaf ons is Suid Afrikaners. Ons het mekaar vir 'n lang ruk so oor die straat gegroet (waai, kopknik ens.) sonder dat ons vermoed het ons is almal saffers.

Maar eendag op my sypaadjie sny ek gras, en die grassnyer se warm uitlaat pyp brand my hand toe ek aan die ding werskaf, en ek sê iets in Arikaans vir die grassnyer, en daar kom my buurman skuins oorkant die straat toe agter dat ons is ook van Suid Afrika, en ons is nogal naamgenote. :holy:

Dax

Edited by Dax

Yeah, well, as you can see there are a couple of South Africans living in Adelaide, not so many in the northern suburbs perhaps, but Wilna has stated that there are loads in Hallett's Cove in the southern suburbs where she hangs out.

Hoe kom jy jan nie Afrikaans verstaan nie??

It's not that hard to figure it out if you take some time to read it slowly enough.

Yep we are in Hallett Cove

Amazing how many Afrikaans speaking South Africans I have met at the Hallett Cove Station

We hear Afrikaans being spoken in our local shopping centre, on the beach, in the city market.

South Africans everywhere here in Adelaide and why not, its a great place to live <_<

South Africans everywhere here in Adelaide and why not, its a great place to live <_<

And more coming...we'll be there in August.

Regards,

Scott

We are looking forward to you guys arriving Scott

Adelaide has a fair Saffer population and they are piling in as we speak. Ons vat die plek oor :lol::) Translation for Hopefull -we are taking the place over.

Hi Everyone

We've seen an agent Friday and it seems we might also be goingin that direction!! We are going to apply for a State Sponsored Business Visa, and according to the agent we have the best chance of sponsorship from South Australia. Now I have to make the mind shift (not that I mind to :rolleyes: ) to consider Adelaide whereas before we actually thought only of Melbourne. But the guy we saw is a very good "ambassador" for Adelaide/South Aus. He lived there for a year himself and loved it.

So, please let the info on Adelaide come.... :unsure:

I just heard that there is another 11 South Africans on the way to the company I work for...

Hi Everyone

We've seen an agent Friday and it seems we might also be goingin that direction!! We are going to apply for a State Sponsored Business Visa, and according to the agent we have the best chance of sponsorship from South Australia. Now I have to make the mind shift (not that I mind to :rolleyes: ) to consider Adelaide whereas before we actually thought only of Melbourne. But the guy we saw is a very good "ambassador" for Adelaide/South Aus. He lived there for a year himself and loved it.

So, please let the info on Adelaide come.... :unsure:

Hi Newcomer

We too are new to the forum and unless we get a 457 visa in the interrim, we are also in the process of applying for state sponsorship to Adelaide. My husband is submitting his assessment to TRA as we speak and we are booked for IELTS on 28 June! Anyone else in a similar situation?

Edited by SILVAS TO ADELAIDE

• 2 weeks later...

We too from South Africa. Sounds like you folk down in Adelaide have lots of fun.

Do you have meetups where South Africans get together?

Arriving October 2008!

We tend to have a get-together on the odd occasion, but nothing actually fixed such as the second weekend in the month, or anything regular.

It would almost do for somebody to start up a group whereby newcomers can come along, be made welcome and introduced to a network of other South Africans, all recently arrived from there.

I should imagine it would really begin to pay dividends in giving new folk a listening ear when the "honeymoon" period ends and the reality of settling into a new country with new people (Australians) dawns in their minds. That's when a bit of depression can kick in and you find yourselves in the "12 months slump" emotionally, missing everything familiar and being without family and mates for support.

The South African Network in South Australia meet (for drinks) on the last Tuesday of every month at the Hackey Hotel, 95 Hackney Road, Adelaide.

There website is www.sanetsa.com.

I think that Fred de Zeeuw is still the chairman. The network may need some new "blood" to enhance its profile/visibility.

Not sure how well attended these evenings are as we have not attended for some time.

Enjoy!

Manny

• 1 month later...

Add us to the Adelaide family too should be there in the next few months. :ilikeit:

Myself and Petri are also heading that way. Petri wants to go to Adelaide, so I guess thats where we are going. :ilikeit:

We are hopefully also on our way middle of next year .... are there by any chance any HR people in Adelaide on the forum?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Hope it's okay if I join this forum.

Myself & my 2 children (7 & 4) are planning on coming to Adelaide as well. I have heard such terrific things about it and it sounds like something similar to where I have lived for most of my life (Hillcrest in KZN, though now I am in Durban North). There is also a guy from Adelaide on another forum I participate in (Rainbownation.. we have started the process) who also speaks so hghly of Adelaide. In fact, he convinced us that it was the place for us !!!

I can't believe how many South Africans there are in Adelaide.

I was told by an agent that there are less employment opportunities in Adelaide than in other towns as there are few corporates there... true ??

Angela