THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

jacquesd

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

... Uphill...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, There was no way in hell I was going to lay

A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it

And how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my Childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you Don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write Somebody a letter, with a pen!

...Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, Your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you Just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video Games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games Like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You Actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or Screens, it was just one screen Forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting Harder and harder and Faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that Was only m-net And there was no on screen menu and no remote Control!

You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was On! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to get off Your ass and walk over to the TV to change the Channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons On Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK For cartoons, you spoiled Little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat Something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

If we wanted Popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing And shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids Today have got it too easy.

You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted Five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

LOL classic! i'm under 30, but man, can I relate! Atari! ...and no hardcore PC games either... only a B&W XT computer (dual floppy baby) with TestDrive, Police Quest... and ahem... Larry...

...also walking home (barefoot on hot tarmac) from school after Rugby matches on Wednesday... with a nice red right foot from kicking the leather Rugby ball (also barefoot)... or falling asleep on the bed after school, waking up to the smell of freshly cut grass and neighbors' dogs barking... knowing you've got homework to do... but not before a little "bok in die hok" or "open the gate" with some of the other kids in the street... THOSE were the days :angry:

Edited by chrisk

When I was very young we did not even have TV man!

And at Uni (UCT) we used to do programs on the mainframe with card readers to enetr the code.

And remember the chopper bicycle....you were a man if you had one of those

A

And we did not play computergames.... we played hand-tennis in the street with one guy on lookout for the cars... and rounders and bok innie hok.

Jeez I'm old. I remember when we watched Haas Das on the neighbour's TV because dad did not want to buy one. He only came round when they started showing sports.

LOL, those were the days

And growing up in little dorpies was even better!

We had to get home when the street lights came on!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Thanks I just spat coffee on my screen!!

That is hilarious

Typing up projects or dissertation when studying at Uni... :blush: One mistake and you had to start from scratch again Haaauu! :) No fancy computers with word processors.

Easy car engines to work on. :ilikeit: You could lift you Volkswagen or Austin Mini's engine on a Saturday morning, overhaul the thing to be ready to take your chick out by Saturday night. With today's fuel injection engines I stick To checking the water & oil.

Dax

There were no cellphones either! My mom used to send us up the road with a message to her friend.

We played in the streets till the streetlights came on and then we all went home to meet up again the next day after school. You just yelled at the wall for your buddy or simply opened the gate and walked upto the front door to call him. All the kids in the streets were friends and everybody knew their neighbours.

Couldn't make copies of your work from the library books either. You had to write it out from the book. Pages and pages of it. We used to take tracing paper with to copy over the pictures. Then you transfer the picture into your project book and colour it in. Too pretty.

Remember Atari well. Could never get the purple ones going out on the left of the screen and popping out on the right again. Also loved playing pinball at the cafè.

Dared each other to walk passed the neighbours house with the mean rotweillers. Now that was scary!

Dared each other to sit on a skateboard and go down a hill, where you had no chance of turning out for a car coming from a sideroad.

Summer holidays were spent at the public pool or at the river. I learned to swim in this river. We had a swing high on the river bank, and had endless fun swinging over the river and landing clothes and all in the water. Played along the river until you were dry and went home. We floated downriver on trekker tubes and over the weir. Later on when there was a drought we saw all the barbed wire and metal poles trapped at the bottom! Caught fish with handlines there too.

Climbed into my grandfather's fruittrees and ate ourselves dik on peaches and apricots. Just wiped the fruit off on your shirt and munched away. No Woolies fruit for us.

Played 'hand-stands', boys and girls together. Not a care in the world if your dress flopped over your head with your panties showing. The boys never teased us about it either.

Also didn't have a TV those days. Went to the neighbours to watch Haas Das, Wielie Walie and Mirage. Later on when we did get one we watched Heidi, Pinocchio and Liewe Heksie. Remember Buck Rogers & Alpha 1999? Man, that date sounded so far in the future. TV only started at 6pm with a Boekevat (Bible reading) and finished at about 10pm with another Boekevat message and the flag came up while the anthem played. We used to switch the TV on to set our watches with the clock on the test pattern. My dad listened to Squad Cars and Men from the Ministry on Springbok radio. Remember tannie Esmè Euverard with her show 'So maak mens'? and she read dedications to the army guys.

Walked to school as well. Quite enjoyed it, but the english kids would pick fights with us and called us rockspiders and dutchies. One day I got quite angry and flung an empty glass bottle I picked up in the veld at them. Hit one kid and realised -now's a good time to run!. Locked ourselves in the house and was so scared the kid's mom would come over. She never came.

Can remember summers being so hot the tar melted from between the gravel and trickled into the gutters. We would poke sticks into the soft tar and pick up ants with the sticky end. Were we cruel?

Life then was safe, carefree and cheap. I kinda miss those days, especially now that it became necessary to protect your kids and family from the evil lurking out there.

Edited by milo

Who remembers that game at the cafe (the cafe with the porras)....asteroids!!!!

A

What about Sprinbok Radio .... Squad cars, Consider your verdict, Dans van die Flamink, Chuckle & Chat Show, Money or the box, Chappy Chipmunk show

Oops .. am I showing my age?

Who remembers that game at the cafe (the cafe with the porras)....asteroids!!!!

Maybe that's the game with the purple things going out on the left and popping up on the right!?

Chappy Chipmunk show - and then you tried to speak in that squeeky voice.

And after watching Bruce Lee movies in the school hall all the boys were kicking and chopping each other and shouting 'WATCHA'!

Playing toktokkie. Nowadays you'll propably get shot at. That's if you can get to the front door with all the alarms and fencing.

What a fantastic thread!!

I remember Jet Jungle and trying to stay awake to listen to the Top 20 with the Gruesom Gresh!!

I also had a Chopper, put my suitcase on the back thing of the seat, had to do a good balancing act!!

Cell phones!!!! What would the youth of today to without their cellphones!!

VW beatles everywhere!! We used to count the red ones!!

Toktokkie?? ek het 'n moerse pakslae gekry oor toktokkie!!!

Edit net gou om te se: PAKSLAE dis wat party kinders deesdae kort, 'n moerse pakslae!!! Dalkies sal dit dinge baie beter maak, en die klompie weer so bietjie op hulle plek sit!!

Edited by Nilo

Springbok radio, chappies...ai lekker man!

Wolwedans in die skemer? Kassiemeer..... Bennie Boekwurm. Airwolf, A-team, Magnum PI, Knightrider met K.I.T !!!

Man van Staal.... Redding Internasionaal...wat eers Thunderbirds was, maar as gevolg van apartheid kon ons dit nie meer koop nie, toe maak RSA sy eie een met beter ouens en noem dit REDDING Internasionaal. Kan julle onthou mens kon nog die puppeteers se hande sien uitsteek?

Jislaaik, dit was nog die goeie tye. Ek het by die G.O meneer pak gekry as my huiswerk nie klaar was nie! En skiewie in St 6...oe, dit was vir jou nag nella!

Meisie van Avignon?????

Such an awesome thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Maaannn did that bring back memories.

I remember waiting at the public swimming pools until 12h00 on a sunday waiting for them to open so we could go swim.

And TV programs... Who remebers "V"? We were sure to be home or in front of a TV at least by 19h00 on a thursday evening to watch "V".

Walking on top of walls to get to a friend's house.. walking around on the road took way too long.

Going to the shop alone at age 8 at night... no problem.

The classic for me was when the "Porra" at the corner cafe didn't want to give you change but offered you "shappies" instead. LOL! That's when you could still buy 4 chappies for 1c.

Those were indeed the good days... :ilikeit:

You just gave your age away!! LOL!!

I only remember when chappies was 2 for a 1c!!! And a Whicks 1c!!

Does any body remember the Bollie and the Tina? Especially the Tina!! My favourite was Katja.

Ai, die goeie ou dae! Ek stem saam met Nilo - baie van vandag se kinders kort 'n goeie pakslae - sal hulle sommer vinnig regruk!

Ek onthou van die TV stories, maar nie almal nie, ons het nie baie TV gekyk nie, veel eerder buite gespeel.

Kleilat in die gronddam was altyd 'n gunsteling, ai, so 'n wilgerlat kon darem 'n stuk klei lekker ver laat trek!!

En Wilson toffies.....die regte dikkes....liquorice, Coca Cola en wat is die ander flavour?

En die paplepel met die naam van Gatlek vir die stouterds.

Hubbly Bubbly koeldrank.

Die Du Toits van Soetmelkvlei en Verbode liefde en Die Wildtemmer.

Ge jive op Never ending song of love......gevry op Pardon me for loving you.

Naweek lank gejol by Fiestaland, sommer in die karre geslaap.....

We received 10 cents a day for snacks at school. Could buy a packet of crisps for 5 cents and toffees, or gum. We had no TV during my school years, and Saturday evenings we would all gather on my parent's bed and listen to "The Creeking Door" - scary stories, on the radio.

School projects were a different story, you had to go to the library for books, and draw pictures and color them. We were definitely more creative, sorry to say. During lunch breaks we played rounders, girls and boys, that was so much fun.

We were not so stressed out like the youth of today, sports was fun, school was fun, even homework was fun.

What a fantastic thread!!

I remember Jet Jungle and trying to stay awake to listen to the Top 20 with the Gruesom Gresh!!

I also had a Chopper, put my suitcase on the back thing of the seat, had to do a good balancing act!!

Cell phones!!!! What would the youth of today to without their cellphones!!

VW beatles everywhere!! We used to count the red ones!!

Toktokkie?? ek het 'n moerse pakslae gekry oor toktokkie!!!

Edit net gou om te se: PAKSLAE dis wat party kinders deesdae kort, 'n moerse pakslae!!! Dalkies sal dit dinge baie beter maak, en die klompie weer so bietjie op hulle plek sit!!

Ek weet nie van die pakslae nie, maar ek onthou op laer skool was Vrydae die "straf dae". Een hou op die hand met n lineal (ruler) vir elke spelfout in engels speltoets. Die seuns moes buk,,,ai, nie lekker in die winter nie. Maar glo my, dan leer jy maar jou spelwoorde.

Imagine dit word vandag gedoen, die ouers sal rye voor Mev. of Mnr. se klaskamer staan.

Die seuns moes buk,,,ai, nie lekker in die winter nie.

Ons het elke vrydag voorsiening gemaak daarvoor, met 'n gatlap .... stuk tyre tube wat mooi gesny is om onder die onderbroek in te pas

Toe nog heel modern geraak en gate ingesny, sodat hy nie te "hol" klink nie ... die ouens het gekompeteer met hulle gatlappe

Edited by JanCPT

:ilikeit:

Ons het elke vrydag voorsiening gemaak daarvoor, met 'n gatlap .... stuk tyre tube wat mooi gesny is om onder die onderbroek in te pas

Toe nog heel modern geraak en gate ingesny, sodat hy nie te "hol" klink nie ... die ouens het gekompeteer met hulle gatlappe

:ilikeit: Moenie worry nie, ons was almal bewus daarvan, ek weet tot vandag toe nie of die onderwyser dit agtergekom het of nie. Ek weet daar was gebruik gemaak van verskillende metodes om die pyn te verlig. :whome: