VERY cheap groceries

Annette

Hi

I just thought I had to tell you all about the huge bargains you can get at Rite Price grocery clearance shops in Adelaide. I go to the one in Morphettvale - 206 Main South road. There are others around, but I'm not sure where. I know there are two in Elizabeth and Salisbury, but not sure about the rest.

Basically, they sell groceries that are either left over stock or "end of line" or near expiry date (many are after the "best before" date). Mostly dried or bottled stuff, with a few dairy and meat products, but not that many. Also frozen pies and lasagnes etc. Not the healthiest food in town, but good for store cupboard basics.

I bought a whole lot of stuff from there last week for my daughter's party. Chips at $1.49 per pack (all the well known brands), 2litre drinks at $1.50 each, big packs of rice crackers, cheese biscuits etc. I even saw my favourite Maille french mustard there at $3 for a HUGE catering pack size. I bought 1l yoghurts at 99c each!!!! They were expiring that same day though, but yoghurt lasts long and we're still eating it and it's fine.

The very best bargain though was whole rumps and sirloins for $5.99 and $6.99 per kilo respectively. It works out around $30 per piece (huge) and then you have to cut your own steaks or stir-fry strips or whatever, but at that price, am I complaining? Heck no! Next time, I'll get some to make biltong. Hopefully someone on here will tell me how :rolleyes:

The slight problem is that next door is the excellent Adelaide Fresh Fruiterers which sells the most devine fruit and veggies (not too expensive), but also has the greatest selection of Italian foods and home made sweets, pastas, cookies, cheeses etc. etc. :thumbdown: So, all the money I save at Rite Price I spend straight away next door!

A word of warning - if you're of a sensitive constitution or worry about what others think, don't go there. There are many very "interesting" erm, people who shop there. The shops are in pretty dodgy areas. Or, like a friend of mine said, you can always shop with a bag over your head with two holes cut in if you're worried someone will recognise you <_< . Most Aussies wouldn't give a hoot, but I know a few South Africans who wouldn't be seen dead in a place like that. Depends on how tight your budget is, I suppose (or like me if you can't be bothered to enrich the big two supermarkets any more than they already are).

Edited by Annette

Excellent post, Anette. I also tend to frequent the supermarkets in the "poorer" areas, because guess what? You get more and better bargains!

Is this in Adelaide only or do they have them in Brissie? That's where I want to go. Or even further, up to Bundaberg. We tried Bundaberg Lemon Lime and Bitters two weeks ago, and this weekend we bought Bundaberg Peach and also Apple - HEAVEN. Better than Appletizer.

My wife has been to the one on Philip Highway in Elizabeth. She also got great bargains there! Luckily we don't care who sees us shopping there, in the end our dollars will go so much further than those who care about image.

Hello Annette

Hoe gaan dit daar in Belvue Heights?

I wouldn't be seen dead in the Rite Price store in MorphettVale : :whome::whome: : My passport has expired and still waiting for Aussie passport, so could not get there even if I wanted to. :whome::whome:

Shops that I avoid: Rite Price, Cheap as Chips, The Reject Shop. :thumbdown: I love IKEA though. :ilikeit:

Happy to shop at Burnside Village. Don't smoke or drink (alcohol) so quite happy to pay the "normal" price for goods. :ilikeit::ilikeit:

I am just yanking your chain Annette. :hug:

What you have illustrated is that if people shop around they can get some great bargains. We do most of our "XMas" shopping after the 26 December when all/most of the major stores have post Xmas sales and you can get some really great bargains. :ilikeit:

Hope that you are well and that you had a great party!

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Guest wilna

Ons bly so 5 min se ry van die Rite Price grocery in Morphett Vale af, seker in een van die "pretty dodgy areas", beteken dit dan dat ons van die "very "interesting" erm, people" is...... :thumbdown: Maar net gewonder.....

Ek stem saam ek hou van Adelaide Fresh Fruiterers en daar is goeie bargains by die Rite Price grocery, kyk maar net mooi na van die goed se vervaldatums.

Edited by wilna

Ons het die naweek 'n klomp goed by Rite Price in Elizabeth gaan koop. Soos Wilna se, kyk net mooi na die vervaldatums... Daar is egter nog steeds goeie winskopies, en daar is sekere items wat mens selfs na die vervaldatum kan gebruik. Meeste van die items gaan nie vrot wees 'n week of twee na die vervaldatum nie, en dit wat ons sover probeer het, het my nog nie dood gemaak nie. Hulle se mos, wat nie dood maak nie, maak vet.

Annette,

Thanks for the great info. You are correct, these shops are very cheap and offer great value on some items. Yes, some shops ( not all ) are located in "depressed" areas filled in some cases with "Aussie battlers" and some more dodgy looking folk, although most are perfectly OK people. These shops simply attract poeple with a limited budget or people after a bargain, or a bit of both.Like you say, most Aussies dont give a hoot about that or to be seen there, I certainly dont, but some Saffers might ( one of the reasons I left SA, that mentallity ). I work near Elizabeth and have been in the shop there, good value indeed on some items.

Any South African worrying about the image can simply give their grocery list to this "dero" (derelict)

I have a great pair of Levi jeans complete with battery acid stains . . . or should I say holes . . . . that I wear around my block of land and an old woollen shirt with holes at both elbows.

That oughta fit the picture!

:rolleyes: