Same old question - different user

Shadar Auditor

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum, though I have been reading over the last two months.

My wife and I have decided to take the big step and move to Australia.

Currently we are still only in the opening phases of the process, but with some good prospects for employment in Canberra.

I am a qualified internal auditor (CIA) and my wife is well on her way to qualify as a CA by the end of the year.

Obviously we would be better off on a sponsored visa so we are hoping to go that route.

My question is - what is a decent salary in Oz $'s?

We have no kids and will leave SA debt free, but that would mean getting a car (or probably 2), a house (to rent) and other setup costs such as the first groceries, deposits etc etc.

It is difficult for me to get a straight answer regarding salaries, so that is why I am posting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marco

I don't have any idea what a decent salary for a auditor would be. Maybe you should look at a website like seek.com.au to get an idea of the salary range for someone in your field.

If you have a look at allhomes.com.au you can get a good idea of house prices and rental costs and on allclassifieds.com.au you can see what prices for second hand cars and other goods are.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

I don't have any idea what a decent salary for a auditor would be. Maybe you should look at a website like seek.com.au to get an idea of the salary range for someone in your field.

If you have a look at allhomes.com.au you can get a good idea of house prices and rental costs and on allclassifieds.com.au you can see what prices for second hand cars and other goods are.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

I was wondering what would be a good salary for anyone to lead a middle class income lifestyle. In other words, what would be enough salary wise to afford rent, car payments, food, utilities and still have some left over to save and have a holiday with.

Once I have that I can compare it to job offers and then try and get an idea on whether or not an offer is bad/good or great...

I will def check out the links though. Thanks again.

This is such a difficult question to answer because everything is relative. I think if you have no kids, no debt, and both of you work, a salary of 50K+ each would leave you pretty comfortable. However, others might not agree. There are lots of posts on this forum about budgets so just do a search to get an idea of average outgoings per month.

This is such a difficult question to answer because everything is relative. I think if you have no kids, no debt, and both of you work, a salary of 50K+ each would leave you pretty comfortable. However, others might not agree. There are lots of posts on this forum about budgets so just do a search to get an idea of average outgoings per month.

Much thanks for the responses, I have found all the relevant budget and money related posts.

A different question - are Australians open to immigrants moving in? I know that the country has a large influx of immigrants every year and I would imagine that some people would get fed up with us japies taking up a lot of jobs/homes etc.

Is this the case? Or are they more accommodating than your average brit for example?

Thanks.

Edited by Shadar Auditor

Hi Shadar

Australians in general don't have a problem with immigrants, as long as you don't say anything bad about Australia....do that and they will certainly jump on you.

I think different cities are perhaps more lenient than others. Melbourne and Sydney are certainly very cosmopolitan with lots of immigrants from every walk of life.

I have no idea how acceptable they are in the other cities, will leave that to others to answer for you.