Whitsunday Islands Central Queensland

Queensland Girl

post-10-1139814493.jpgpost-10-1139814430.jpg

This is truely the most amazing place for a holiday.

We departed from Airlie beach just north of Mackay.

Snorkling is like sticking your head underwater in an aquarium.

We hired a boat that could sleep 5 (no skipper expertise required) and sailed around the area for 7 days.We visited totally uninhabited islands, snorkelled beautiful diving spots, anchored in remote coves for the night.

White deserted beaches,aquamarine water, and my beloved family- what more could a woman ask for ?

Queensland Girl, thank you for sharing the photos.

That WATER! Absolutely gorgeous.

Your holiday sounds is if it was completely idyllic! How lovely that Oz offers such wonderful outdoors options close to Nature.

Thanks again - great to 'see' Oz this way!

Liza

These are really beautiful, someday I can share some pics of cairns as well. Also very beautiful there.

QG, where in Queensland should we go for a "Mauritius experience" holiday? We've browsed many magazines and travel brochures but don't know where would be the best place to go. We've never been to QLD before and don't know WHERE to start? We want to lie back & enjoy at the pool with a view over the beach - white sand, palm trees, fancy cocktails with little umbrellas...... Any suggestions?

QG, where in Queensland should we go for a "Mauritius experience" holiday? We've browsed many magazines and travel brochures but don't know where would be the best place to go. We've never been to QLD before and don't know WHERE to start? We want to lie back & enjoy at the pool with a view over the beach - white sand, palm trees, fancy cocktails with little umbrellas...... Any suggestions?

We have spent the Mauritius style holiday at DUNK ISLAND

www.dunkisland.com

It can be expensive but we stayed in the Banfield Family units ,which are not luxurious but quite adequate.

The food is superb and the cocktails sublime.

Fly into Cairns ,transfer to Mission beach , and Supercat to Island

If money is no object HAYMAN ISLAND in the Whitsundays is the way to go.I have not been but friends of mine who have travelled the world , have told me that they have yet to find better.

I will post under "places to go" some photographs of TANGALOOMA WILD DOLPHIN RESORT on Moreton island ( a few km off shore from Brisbane)-nice-but nothing like DUNK.

Dunk usually offers some really great packages from Sydney -so that will definitely be my first choice.

We have been to Mauritius and I know exactly what you are looking for.

This is it-although MUCH more beautiful landscape then Mauritius.

Thanks! I've been to Mauritius 4 times and every time was a different (& unforgettable) experience! It's our favourite holiday destination but seeing that Australia also offers the same beauty, beaches & weather we want to go somewhere we can get the Mauritius "feeling" but in Australia!

I've printed your info to show hubby - I'm minister of holidays & entertainment and everyone looks at me to make it happen but they have so many requirements and preconceived ideas, it's impossible to get it right, especially in a country you don't know well enough yet to make the right choices. Your suggestion will really come in handy! Thanks!!

PS: Where in Mauritius have you been? (And when? Have you been there since they've developed that waterfront area in Port Louis?)

Thanks! I've been to Mauritius 4 times and every time was a different (& unforgettable) experience! It's our favourite holiday destination but seeing that Australia also offers the same beauty, beaches & weather we want to go somewhere we can get the Mauritius "feeling" but in Australia!

I've printed your info to show hubby - I'm minister of holidays & entertainment and everyone looks at me to make it happen but they have so many requirements and preconceived ideas, it's impossible to get it right, especially in a country you don't know well enough yet to make the right choices. Your suggestion will really come in handy! Thanks!!

PS: Where in Mauritius have you been? (And when? Have you been there since they've developed that waterfront area in Port Louis?)

Hi Riekie

Minister of Tourism is my portfolio as well.

We have been to Mauritius twice and went to La Piroque both times. We were last there about 9 years ago so alot must have changed.We did the helicopter trip over the crater and the Pampelmouse Gardens, and spent two nights at the Snt Geran.

I think you have teenagers - lots to do at DUNK. We took a SUPERCAT out to the Barrier Reef (leaves from DUNK) on a snorkelling expedition. Amazing - Huge sea turtles - you can not believe it until you have seen it.

My son also went on a deep sea fishing expedition leaving from DUNK. Caught the biggest fish ever. ....Have you had a look on the web?

What are the family requirements?

My family's requirements at this stage: "it must be like Mauritius....." and being there yourself you know what that is: a very good time with lots to do! We stayed at Sugar Beach one year (that's right next to La Piroque) - we also stayed at Le Coco, Le Mauricia and Island View - a very small, very old, crappy hotel which I would not recommend - that was my fist visit and I was still stupid at that stage (wanted to to it cheap!). We did the island tour on our first visit and after that we just spend our time next to the pool, on the beach, shopping for bargains in Grand Baie and ofcourse water-sports! During our last stay we took a catamaran trip to a tiny island just north of Mauritius (Coin De Mire) - now THAT was a lovely outing! Got sun-burnt so badly, I could not even WALK in the sun for a few days it hurt so bad! You should really go back there if you can - the waterfront at Port Louis reminds a lot of the W&A in Cape Town - lots of lovely shops & restaurants and even cinemas! (but if you want bargains, rather go to Grand Baie - you can buy branded clothing for next to nothing, etc).

My hubby is in Melbourne for the week - he'll be back Friday. Before then I'll go to the Internet site you suggested and get all my info together. It sound like the place to go! Thanks for all the help!