MACKAY

gevans

WE ARE GOING TO RELOCATE FROM SOUTH AFRICA TO MACKAY, AS THATS WHERE I HAVE GOT A JOB OFFER. ANY ONE FROM THAT AREA, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT TOWN/CITY. I HAVE GOTTEN A JOB AT BACKERS CREEK.

PLEASE HEALP.

GEVANS

Hi there, we are also moving to Mackay, probably get a flight on 19 May. Dont worry mate, Mackay isa beautiful town (about 80000 people) with about 5000 ex South Africans (nobody knows the real amount) and at least 100 ex Zimbabwe families. The town is big enough to have just about everything you need and small enough to spare you a city's traffic.

Good luck

Hi There, we have touched on this topic a few times. I think you should search the other posts.

Anyway I have lived in Mackay 3 years now and find it OK. The population has really rown in this time and so has the traffic. So we now also have bumper to bumper traffic.

It is really difficult to tell people what to expect. The one thing I can say is that it can be really hard finding a rental.

I suppose you will be working at Borthwicks in Bakers Creek.

Good luck, when are you guys coming over?

• 1 month later...

Hallo,

I have only read the post today !! We "moved" to Mackay a month ago !!! It is a beautiful town/city !! I absolutely love it here !!! :hug: To find a rental is a bit of a mission, but we found one in a week and a half and moved in a week later !! My son is adjusting very well and is happy in school.

I am in Townsville and whilst traveling here we stopped for a week in Mackay and loved it!! It is so beautiful and I could quite easily live there.

Good luck and enjoy it!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi - we are moving to Mackay at the end of September 2008 - we would love to meet up with fellow South Africans once we are there. We need advice on securing a rental and on schools and suburbs and transport - my husband will work at Borthwicks.

Steve (actually Fanie, but really scared of the Aussie accent for "Fanie" :) ) and Luné

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

We've been here for about 2 1/2 years now,it's a great place.

If you need any advice or assistance just ask.

Terrence