IT JOBS IN MELBOURNE?

Nats123

Hi,

We have now been in Melbourne for 3 weeks.

Getting more settled as the time goes by. My wife got sponsored and is working in Richmond and I am playing hosue hubby B)

Both of us are in IT and I have been applying for jobs on the internet like crazy but have not had any good responses as yet.

Am I doing the right thing by just applying on the net? Is there a weekly newspaper with jobs in as well like The Star in SA?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Hi Sean

If you buy The Age on a Saturday, just make sure you get both parts, as it comes in two sections but they are not together in one lot, they usually keep them next to each other as not everybody wants the 'extra' section. This 'extra' section has the 'careers' in other words jobs available in it. Having said that though, it is the same, I am sure, as looking for jobs on www.mycareer.com.au.

Hi Sean,

What exactly do you do in IT?

I found that by phoning the agent I do get a better response then just applying on the net, so that might be worth a try if their details are available with the job advertisement.

I hope that you are enjoying Melbourne and that things will go well for you soon.

Regards,

WoO

Hi Sean

If you buy The Age on a Saturday, just make sure you get both parts, as it comes in two sections but they are not together in one lot, they usually keep them next to each other as not everybody wants the 'extra' section. This 'extra' section has the 'careers' in other words jobs available in it. Having said that though, it is the same, I am sure, as looking for jobs on www.mycareer.com.au.

Thanks Mara - so that is why I get The Age and there is pratically no jobs advertised lol :lol:

Hi Sean,

What exactly do you do in IT?

I found that by phoning the agent I do get a better response then just applying on the net, so that might be worth a try if their details are available with the job advertisement.

I hope that you are enjoying Melbourne and that things will go well for you soon.

Regards,

WoO

Hi WoO,

I have 18 years experience ranging from technical support, consulting on ERP's, training, report writing and managing of staff.

Thanks for the input I will start contacting the agents right away!

Oh yeah we are enjoying MLB - it is a beautiful place! We are planning on doing some great explorations!

:ilikeit:

Hi Sean

have you tried going to some of the SI and ERP vendor websites like:

Bearing Point

Accenture

SAP

Oracle - I know Oracle is hiring in many different roles

E&Y

IBM

Try calling their HR depts or their HR reqcruitment depts directly - you can get their conact details from the yellow pages

Rgds

Matt

You have tried seek.com.au haven't you? Try phoning agents and companies instead of just firing off your CV?

It guarantees that someone sees it, instead of it just being swallowed, parsed and dissected into a bunch of keywords inside a database (with the other 1000 CVs that arrived that morning).

I had so many "please come and see us when you get here" responses from doing this that I had to cherry pick the ones I wanted to visit. And you are already there. Half the battle's been fought already! If you've been doing this stuff for nigh on 20 years, you should have no problem finding work! :ilikeit:

Thank you for the great support I really appreciate it! :lol:

I followed everyone's advise and went for two interviews yesterday.

One with an agent - which is forwarding my CV to two companies and then with a company.

Seems liek persistance is the best thign !

So we will continue with the quest!

Sean