carolyn: Immigrating to Oz, what is our next step?

carolyn

Good morning all,

I am new to this site, joined yesterday, but already feel like part of the family!

My husband and I have gone through the International Immigration Alliance in JHB, SA and have received our personal assessment back from them stating that we have enough points to apply for the Independent Skills Visa and obtain residence under the specification General Plumber (his field). We obviously dont want to pay the hefty fees that they charge and want to do it ourselves. I went onto the immi site yesterday and printed out the form, 1121i. I see that our next step must be to apply to the Assessing Authorities. I am not too sure which one we need to apply to?

Can anyone shed some light for me as to what our next step should be and what Assessing Authorities to phone up or email?

Thanks so much - look forward to hearing back from someone!

Cheers,

Carolyn

Tradespeople skills get assessed by TRA

Their website is

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Indi...al/Migrant/TRA/

Assessment takes about 4 weeks, and you need lots of info to complete the application. Currently starting with hubby's one for mechanic.

And welcome to our little world!

Hi

I cannot remember but was one of the guys that owns this place Tommy Tomazos (his surname sounds like tomatoes) if so please stay away from this guy as he is a $%^%^

A lot of people I know received really bad service from them. I hope I have the right guy here, but I am sure it is him.

Hi Carolyn

Welcome to our world, and I see you have already had your first reply - that is great.

I am sure you will get all of your questions answered by our bunch of experts!

Good luck with the gathering of all the information that you need.

Have you already got your unabridged birth certificates for each member of the family as well as your unabridged marriage certificate? You have to have these and I do believe they are sometimes a problem to come by. There is an agency that can arrange it for you, for a fee of course, but a number of people have said it was worthwhile using them.

I am not sure what their details are, but if you need them, just ask the question and I am sure somebody will supply you with the answer!

Mara

There is an agency that can arrange it for you, for a fee of course, but a number of people have said it was worthwhile using them.

Hi there,

Welcome to our website: the friendliest, most helpful, best moderated site I know! :rolleyes:

Mara, I believe you are talking about Bunnyhop Document Services , I have not used them personally, but I have also read some good comments about them. They are a bit pricey, but I suppose it is all worth it in the end.

Greetings,

Dreamy

I have heard the same stories regarding that guy from IIA. IIA is not very trustworthy. While still in Cape Town we attended one of their seminars and boy was the guy very vague, real money driven if you ask me.

Just shout if you need any info

Hi there

Firstly good luck and take a deep breathe all will be fine.

Regarding the gentleman mentioned previously I know people who have dealt with him and the company. After a few weeks they asked for their case to be handled by someone else in the agency as they found him arrogant and quite shady. My friend was happy with her experience with the company as a whole as she didn't want the bother of doing all the hard work etc but I personally thought she was ripped off. I know people who submitted their applications after her and had their visas months before she had hers. I think if you have the money and time use a trustworthy agent but if you are prepared to put in a bit of research it is really not that difficult to do it yourself after all you still have to get police clearance fingerprints taken etc yourself.

As far as using bunnyhop I would say they are worth every sent. I applied through the normal process for my unabridged marriage certificate with homeaffairs on 6 March 2005 and am still waiting. A month ago I applied through bunnyhop for my marriage certificate and I had it within a week. They are brilliant.

If you look on the immi site you can download a booklet I think it is booklet 7 but have a look. You will note that on the list with all the occupations and on the MODL it states the accessing authority. You will also find that immediately after the lists it gives you the contact numbers address etc for all the assessing authorities.

Another thing make sure your passport has at least 2 years left in it and start collecting references etc from past employers. If you or partner were in the army I think you need a discharge certificate.

Other than that good luck and keep asking questions you will find lots of info and friends on this forum who are all in the same boat or similar.

Best of Luck

Hi g,

Just follow the link that I posted a little further up this page, it will take you to their website. It is a company that does your document applications for you, and does all the follow-up work, and they make sure you get your stuff as quick as possible. I have not used them, but I know they have been around for a while. I have spoken to the lady once, and she was very friendly and helpful.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi g,

A very warm welcome to our little virtual community. I hope you get all the help you need, there are really great people on this forum!

Can't really help re your questions but with your situation it seems like a straightforward case. If you got your initial assessment and you passed I'd try it on my own. I concur with the others, I suggest you stay away from Mr Tomazos and his mob, we have had some dealings with him before and he is a real slippery type of character. If you need to make use of an agent, do yourself a favour and read some of the other threads on this topic - there have been some referrals to very good and reputable agents. Use them rather!

Good Luck

C'BUG