Construction sector in Aus - Advice needed please!

GSI

Hi folks,

Just found this forum, finding it very helpful and informative, so thank you all for all your info and support I find on these pages. This is my first post so please excuse rambling!

I will need to remain somewhat covert as we are still in early stages of looking at emmigration, however would like some feedback on the state of the Construction Industry in Aus.

My hubby has an undergrad architecture degree, BCom Construction management and MBA in Finance. He worked for his bursary company in construction way for 2 back when we got married, then we took 4 years off, working contracts in London (he worked in Project Management there) and spent as much time as possible travelling. On our return to SA he did a full time MBA (which pretty much exhausted our savings) for a year, and then went into Property Finance with a big well known bank here. After one year he was hating the corporate life and approached his old mentor in the construction world for advice, the same one he used to work for way back when. This mentor immediately offered him a job - the same one he would have now if we hadn't taken 4 years off (this shows unbelievable faith in my hubby and in his mentor's belief in him). Hubby's been in the for over a year now and loves it, its a fabulous challenge, he is growing and proving that his mentor's belief in him is well founded and word on the street for a long time now is that he is tipped for Directorship for the holding company (who are multi national, massive, and yes, based in Joburg) - they've already put him on various necessary courses etc over the next 2 years. He is rising to the challenge and proving those who took a chance on him that he is worth it.

So now that I am done singing his praises, let me clarify the situation. Take one hubby who is finally loving his job, being valued and applauded, and full of aspirations, goals and fire. Take one wife (stay at home mommy) who is suddenly feeling like her baby daughter needs to be taken over the pond so to speak. We have not reached a consensus on what to do next but finding out what the construction industry in Aus is like, if it is booming or slumping etc would certainly help. We have no idea at this stage if we'd be financially viable there - we are still in the early stages of investigating it all.

So those of you in Construction Management particularly, please could you take a minute or 2 to help! Any info on the construction industry in general would be useful, particularly any boom areas, both in the sector and physically in Australia itself, would help.

Thank you in advance for any help!

GSI (cloak and dagger stuff this!!)

Hi folks,

Just found this forum, finding it very helpful and informative, so thank you all for all your info and support I find on these pages. This is my first post so please excuse rambling!

I will need to remain somewhat covert as we are still in early stages of looking at emmigration, however would like some feedback on the state of the Construction Industry in Aus.

My hubby has an undergrad architecture degree, BCom Construction management and MBA in Finance. He worked for his bursary company in construction way for 2 back when we got married, then we took 4 years off, working contracts in London (he worked in Project Management there) and spent as much time as possible travelling. On our return to SA he did a full time MBA (which pretty much exhausted our savings) for a year, and then went into Property Finance with a big well known bank here. After one year he was hating the corporate life and approached his old mentor in the construction world for advice, the same one he used to work for way back when. This mentor immediately offered him a job - the same one he would have now if we hadn't taken 4 years off (this shows unbelievable faith in my hubby and in his mentor's belief in him). Hubby's been in the for over a year now and loves it, its a fabulous challenge, he is growing and proving that his mentor's belief in him is well founded and word on the street for a long time now is that he is tipped for Directorship for the holding company (who are multi national, massive, and yes, based in Joburg) - they've already put him on various necessary courses etc over the next 2 years. He is rising to the challenge and proving those who took a chance on him that he is worth it.

So now that I am done singing his praises, let me clarify the situation. Take one hubby who is finally loving his job, being valued and applauded, and full of aspirations, goals and fire. Take one wife (stay at home mommy) who is suddenly feeling like her baby daughter needs to be taken over the pond so to speak. We have not reached a consensus on what to do next but finding out what the construction industry in Aus is like, if it is booming or slumping etc would certainly help. We have no idea at this stage if we'd be financially viable there - we are still in the early stages of investigating it all.

So those of you in Construction Management particularly, please could you take a minute or 2 to help! Any info on the construction industry in general would be useful, particularly any boom areas, both in the sector and physically in Australia itself, would help.

Thank you in advance for any help!

GSI (cloak and dagger stuff this!!)

HI GSI

My husband is a carpenter and we did a lot of research on the type of jobs in AU that he would be able to get and on the www.seek.com.au website you get a pretty good idea. I must say that the cridentials you listed that hubby has seem to be in demand but go and have a look there for yourselves and decide.. Thats about what I can contribute. I hope it sheds some light. Have a super day :rolleyes:

The Construction business is booming in Australia at the moment.

Tradesmen are in short supply right across the nation.

Western Australia has indicated it will need thousands of more tradesmen in the building industry for the next 20 years.

Other States across Australia are in pretty much the same situation.

Thanks all, good to know its a boom sector, wasnt so in SA for a long time.

Have tried www.seek.com.au but they all say you must have a visa - but have since read a lot of advice to just ignore that and apply anyway, so back to SEEK we go.

thanks all!