Simon: HELLOOOOO SAAUSTRALIA!!!!

Simon

Hi All

My name is Simon. I am a long time member of SACanada and noticed the link through to SAAustralia, so thought I would come and take a look around.

I currently live and work in the United Kingdom with my wife and daughter, + 1 boy/girl on the way.

We left SA in 1998, returned for 2 years in 2002 and then moved back to the UK November 2004 when I received a job offer I couldnt refuse.

I currently work for a consultancy as a Senior Technical Team Lead in BT. My field of expertise is Hyperion BPM software.

No plans on moving to Aus or Canada anytime soon, so purely interested in seeing how other people cope with the move. A friend of mine sold me on the idea of Aus. He is South African but cant get enough of Aus.

Only 29 years young so no plans yet on where to settle. Currently just keeping an eye on things from a nice safe distance.

Bye from me

Simon

Hi Simon and welcome. I moved to Perth, Australia 6 weeks ago with my hubby and 2 toddlers. We left South Africa in 1999 for the UK but I got too homesick and went back home for 10 months. We then had a wonderful 6 years in the UK. But the cold winters and mainly indoors lifestyle became too much for us.

It is far easily moving country this time round as I'm over all the homesickness I used to get. I do miss my family but I wouldn't return to South Africa. I would rather try and get them over here.

We'd never even visited Australia so it was also quite an adventure for us moving over here. We love it and have found Perth to be very friendly and great for young families.

I'm some ways we wish we had moved here sooner but we have gained a lot by living in the UK and we made many friends there.

Good luck to you and your family.

Hi All

My name is Simon. I am a long time member of SACanada and noticed the link through to SAAustralia, so thought I would come and take a look around.

I currently live and work in the United Kingdom with my wife and daughter, + 1 boy/girl on the way.

We left SA in 1998, returned for 2 years in 2002 and then moved back to the UK November 2004 when I received a job offer I couldnt refuse.

I currently work for a consultancy as a Senior Technical Team Lead in BT. My field of expertise is Hyperion BPM software.

No plans on moving to Aus or Canada anytime soon, so purely interested in seeing how other people cope with the move. A friend of mine sold me on the idea of Aus. He is South African but cant get enough of Aus.

Only 29 years young so no plans yet on where to settle. Currently just keeping an eye on things from a nice safe distance.

Bye from me

Simon

Wow it mustve been quite something moving without having been there.

My wife is the one who always gets homesick. the only reason she is happy to stay in the UK is because her mother is on her way here to work as a nurse. In SA she is past retirement age and so is not being allowed to work at her current job. From what she tells us, they have said there are other people more deserving of her job.

I think with her mother coming over here we wont be heading off to SA on holiday as much.

Where abouts in Berkshire did you live. We currently live in Farnborough just on the Hampshire side. Our cats are currently doing their 6 months quarantine in a Berkshire Cattery.

According to my friend who sold me on Aus, Perth is the "promised land".

Hi there Simon

just wanted to welcome you to the forum and share our story.

We left SA in November moved to Syndey never having been here and knowing no one. Only regret is that we waited so long, but I guess we wouldn't be the people we are or have the experience we have if we had moved long ago.

We have 2 boys 8 and 3 and we absolutely love it here. The boys have settled well and enjoy the freedom and the parks and the weather, its funny how nothing seems to worry them now and they just live.

We miss our family sooooo much but they are very supportive of us and my brother in law and family moved over in Jan so we now at least have a beach buddy and a shoulder to cry on.

As far as business goes it seems its really up to the individual, if you want pressure and long hours you can do it but it seems most are happy just trotting along and enjoying a good work/life balance. One thing here is no one really cares if you are the head of Corporate Finance a Project Manager or cashier at the supermarket, its a bit of a mind set change for most.

Sydney is an incredible place, beautiful weather, great beaches, amazing vegetation and a diverse and mulicultural group of people. We feel that business is fast tracked enough to keep us in touch with the real world yet we still have a relatively stress free life. Only problem with Sydney is it is expensive and that really gives you a kick in the butt when you come over with your rands.

For us the move has changed us as people, we appreciate different things, we appreciate each other more as we don't have our families round the corner and we really have enjoyed the change and the challenge that this move has created.

Hope you will at least visit Australia sometime, you will love it.

We were in Finchampstead the last 3 years. Did you guys go see the airshow there in Farnborough? - it must have been on sometime in July. We went about 5 years ago to it - wow it was totally amazing.

Wow it mustve been quite something moving without having been there.

My wife is the one who always gets homesick. the only reason she is happy to stay in the UK is because her mother is on her way here to work as a nurse. In SA she is past retirement age and so is not being allowed to work at her current job. From what she tells us, they have said there are other people more deserving of her job.

I think with her mother coming over here we wont be heading off to SA on holiday as much.

Where abouts in Berkshire did you live. We currently live in Farnborough just on the Hampshire side. Our cats are currently doing their 6 months quarantine in a Berkshire Cattery.

According to my friend who sold me on Aus, Perth is the "promised land".

HI SA2Auz

Everyone tells me that Aus is just amazing. I will definitely have to make a trip happen. Need to just wait for number 2 to arrive and settle. End of September is due date so I am hoping to start doing some Country hopping later next year.

Sydney is the area where most prospects for me would be, but lately I have been seeing alot of work in Melbourne and Brisbane. The only place I dont see much in my line of work is Perth.

Well today I was chatting with an English colleague of mine at work and guess what, he is emigrating to Aus next year. He reckons with him being an accountant and his fiance a midwife they will be ready in 8 months.

I will keep an eye on how things go with him.

Lara,

I know of Finchampstead but not been there. Oh man...the air show was amazing. Our neighbour is an air traffic controller and he reckons they used the cul de sac where I live as a focul point. we are less than a mile from the airport but not in the flight path. Dont know how clear these pics will come out on the site but this Nutter in the Mig 29 was doing the most amazing display right over my house. I flinched several times when I thought he wasnt going to come out of the stall or whatever they call it. We saw them for 16 days. Thank goodness it is over. Now we can have peace and quiet for 2 years till they return.

Have a great weekend

Bye from me

Simon

post-378-1154113873.jpg

post-378-1154113882.jpg

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are able to get some info on Aus to make it easier to make up your mind. I guess however a visit would seal it for you.

Great pics, My mom used to live right next door to Waterkloof Airforce base in SA and I also had the opportunity to take some great pics during some of those great international airshows! I had the great pleasure of seeing the Mig 29 doing the "cobra" - a couple of times - have you seen this?

Flight BUG

Hi Chatterbug

Cobra? Not sure...but I saw him do several things that looked pretty impossible for a plane to do. My first real air show so I was pretty impressed.

I definitely want to make a trip to Aus. Would be great to actually see what all the fuss is about.

Another one that flew over the house.

post-378-1154194864.jpg