Looking for a 457 sponsor or job in Perth

Taegan

Taegan,

I am currently employed as a Site Manager for a contractor at a BHP Billiton Factory. I completed a National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering at Pretoria Technikon. My responsibilities include production (115 employees) and plant maintenance (7 employees). It is more of a management role than an engineering role. I also completed SAMTRAC (Safety course), ICAM investigation and Nosa courses.

I would love to develop my career in the Engineering flied in Australia. Are there any junior Engineering roles available? I am willing to start at the bottom and work myself up again.

Is it difficult to switch over from Manufacturing to Mining production? It seems that most opportunities exist in the Mining area.

Thank you

Hi Taegan,

I have PM'd you but would like to know if my experience as a Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance Planner at a Heavy Metal Industry would be advantageous for a concideration.. :whome:

Thanks

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

I suggest you look around for maintenance planning jobs in Aus (If that is what you want to do). What these guys are looking for is project planners and schedulers (which is the field that I am working in). Unfortunately there is a big difference between the 2 and your maintenance planning experience would count for nothing and probably just be ignored. Sorry for sounding harsh , but I would rather tell you the tructh than send you on a wild goose chase.

Wimpie

Good day,

Just my two cents worth with regards to skills recognition.

Wimpie's comments are very true and he did put it very politely.

The only way you will have a smooth start in Oz, is if you are transfered from a company in SA to the branch in Australia.

Other than that it takes quite a bit, just to get some of your skills recognized.

For artisans obtaining the TRA skills assessment letter is just the first step.

The next is to obtain a TRA Certificate and you have to apply with all the same documentation again, as you did for the assessment.

The assessment letter alone will not help you anywhere in Oz and that is why you had no reply from companies or recruitment agencies.

Proof of every bit of training from apprenticehip to date is very important, certificates, also important is your current duties, all the equipment and type of machinery you are working on in your current company, on an official company letter head.

The more you detail you present, the stronger your case.

Once you have the TRA certificate some companies in Australia will give you work and other might require more training.

The mechanical trades might be ok with the TRA Certificate.

Electricians needs a license in Australia.

Electricians will first have to work as an electrical fitter or electrical mechanic, some of the time under supervision, and after a year apply for assessment/test,only then will you be licensed.

The other option might be that you have to enroll at the appointed training centre in your state, spend the many weeks re-doing traning/testing.

It is not as easy as it is made to be in SA but it can be done with patience.

The VETASSES was started last year and it is a system where you can have your trades tested in South Africa and get the required Australian qualification while you are still in SA.

Recommended but apparently costly and only done on set dates but it will save you a lot of frustration and time.

Although you know that you are highly skilled in your profession in South Africa, in Oz it counts for nothing.

I have two trades, am a trade tested Electrician and a trade tested Millwright( Electromechanician),also worked (13 years) for BHP Billiton(for those who do not know,they are an Australian company) in SA but are doing part time work as a trades assitant or labourer.

Just have to bite the bullet untill i completed the Australian requirements.

I learn the hard way what was needed as not much info was available in SA, process was unclear.

Good luck to all with their application and job hunting, just expect it to be tough.

Note: A job seek website today had 9373 vacancies for Trades people across Australia and that was just one website.

Willie

• 5 weeks later...
Taegan,

I am currently employed as a Site Manager for a contractor at a BHP Billiton Factory. I completed a National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering at Pretoria Technikon. My responsibilities include production (115 employees) and plant maintenance (7 employees). It is more of a management role than an engineering role. I also completed SAMTRAC (Safety course), ICAM investigation and Nosa courses.

I would love to develop my career in the Engineering flied in Australia. Are there any junior Engineering roles available? I am willing to start at the bottom and work myself up again.

Is it difficult to switch over from Manufacturing to Mining production? It seems that most opportunities exist in the Mining area.

Thank you

Sorry!! I haven't checked this thread for ages! I have sent your question to my hubby to try and get some sort of answer / direction for you. As soon as he replies I'll PM this to you!

Hi Benita

I spoke to my hubby and he said to send his CV and he will put it forward. Please PM for the email address to send it to

Hi Benita

I spoke to my hubby and he said to send his CV and he will put it forward. Please PM for the email address to send it to

:ilikeit: Oops red faced, because by now I should know how to operate the replies on the forum, but seem to forget every time. But anyway here goes,

So often do we ask - then get good advice - and then get busy - and then forget to say thanx,

Taegan, thank you so much for your help, I did as you suggested, got feedback from your hubby & am possitive that things are going to start rocking soooooooooooooooooooon :unsure: so from Dupi & I to you guys - thanx a million

:o

• 2 months later...

Hi Teagan

I realise that you have been swamped with resposes to your thread and I am afraid here comes another one. The problem is finding sympathetic employers to the South African cause. I am currently loking for a 457 sponsership in the Environmental/ Sustainability field, I know that this may be a little far removed from what your hubby does, but all big mining houses and engineering firms employ environmental/sustainability managers these days. I have a Masters in SD and a background in Environmental science, if there is anything going and you could let me know I would be most endebted to you. I really want to come over ASAP.

Many Thanks

Trailrunner

• 2 months later...