To go. or not to go - that is the question

Jaxie

Hi there to all you forumites!

I've been surfing on this forum for some time now and find it very helpful - thanks.

For many moons now I've been thinking about moving to "greener pastures". But the roots are deep - many generations deep - and the comfort zone still relatively unshaken. I stay in the much more peaceful and laidback part of SA - the Western Cape. My house has not been burgled yet, my kids walk to school and sport practices, I have a lovely, loyal, honest domestic helper who's been with us for many years. We live in a nice middle class suburb with good neighbours. The weather down here in Cape Town is what I'm used to - I love the cold, wet winters and the South-Easter in summer brings a great relief on hot days and keep the tourists from moving to CT to stay. (They just don't know about all the lovely days that we enjoy during off-peak seasons. ;) )

BUT... I'm not blind for all the changes in our dear country. I have 2 kids who must graduate into the adult world in a couple of years. Both have big dreams for their futures. I have a lot of doubt about whether they will be able to realise their dreams here. :unsure: I don't want to be left alone out here when (not if) they both move away after school or varsity.

My biggest concerns are that I'll struggle to qualify for PR because I'm over the good age of 45 (just) and I'm a single parent with 2 kids to care for. Will I/we cope? Will I be able to give them the means/opportunities to realise all those big dreams? It's a live-changing decision. Don't know how our forefathers did it without internet, aeroplanes, skype etc.

I've started the process working through the 100 steps list as a guideline. This week-end I'll be attending the Expo in Cape Town. Hopefully I can get some answers there as well.

In the meantime I'll keep on surfing this forum.

:)

The 457 may be the best route for you. If there's a will there's a way! Hope you make the decision that is right for you and your children. Good luck!

No the 457 does not depend on age. You can get in that way, but you should also look at regional sponsorships... Hope the expo gives you some info.

Dear Jaxie

I know exactly what you are going through! I am in the same boat - my family and me are leaving on 17 April for Oz - after a long 14 month process to obtain our RSMS visas. It is a very emotinal affair but you must look forward and realise the choices you will give your children in future.

I am turning 48 in two weeks - so don't worry too much about the age thing!

Regards

Vliegjapie

Dear Jaxie,

Hope all works well and you get your answers at the Expo. We will also be attending this weekend to get some information. First my husband needs to do the IELTS exam then we'll work from there.

Good luck

:whome:

Tania

Hi Jaxie,

And welcome to the forum!

I do not know that ins and outs for persons over 45 years of age, but I see that some do get visas to Aus.

It would be really great if you had a special skill or qualification that they are looking for; then you could be sponsored to go over on an employer or regional visa. Do look up the immi.gov site and see whether you are on the MODL or ENSOL occupations lists. That may make all the difference. You might also consider purchasing the services of a migration agent for some part of your deicison making, re which visa to apply for, as they may know of ways.

All of the best!

TereMel

Hi Jaxie,

If you want a crystal ball to look into the future you don't have to look far, just look at our friendly neighbor country - Zim. See what has been said by their leader about 10-15yrs ago and then listen to our new leader Mr Zuma and you will find striking similarities. I used to think that "it couldn't happen here" but unfortunately that little self-delusion got blown out of the water the past few years.

So I think you are thinking along the right lines, just decide when and where buddy.

I have already waited too long but my heart breaks to leave my beloved country behind...

Louw

I have already waited too long but my heart breaks to leave my beloved country behind...

Louw / Jaxie I (we) feel the same I have a great job and a senior post. The comfort zone is HUGH ... I pray that all will work out.

I had a job in Nov 2006 but decided to stay and see if things would not improve. We had a LSD trip in April 2006 and then the Rand AUD was 4.80 to the rand ... Should have gone now my pension is almost less that half what it could have been .....

BUT STILL A BIG DECISION !

Hi guys,

I feel for all you guys, it is a tough decision to make and one we had about a year to think about in total, we also had a massive comfort zone, a successful business that was basically running itself after years of sacrifice and hard work, then our offer came from Australia and boy, it was a tough decision to make. We weren't affected by crime either.

We have been here almost 8 months now and I can honestly say it has been worth it, financially it is a setback, we both work for companies now and our comfort zone financially has been taken away but it has been replaced with another comfort zone, peace of mind, cant put a $ price tag on that. My daughter 16 goes for walks in the morning, I don't have to worry, in South Africa, we lived in a small town on the South Coast, Freeland Park Scottburgh, I wouldn't even allow her to walk to her friends house, about 5 minutes away, got in the car and took her.

My son, who will be 21 in less than a month's time had his driver's license for a year, but we used to limit his driving, we were just so scared he would be taken out by a taxi, all the unlawful driving and disregard for road rules, so we used to drive him crazy, here I give him my car keys and say you go for it. He is driving all over and I am learning to let them go and know they are safe, be it walking or driving, there are rules and regulations in Australia and you abide by them or you get punished, as simple as that.

Sorry for my waffling but what I am trying to say is, it is worth it, I still get very homesick but I know our future and the future of our kids and grandkids is in Australia now.

Hope that helps,

Hi there to all you forumites!

I've been surfing on this forum for some time now and find it very helpful - thanks.

For many moons now I've been thinking about moving to "greener pastures". But the roots are deep - many generations deep - and the comfort zone still relatively unshaken. I stay in the much more peaceful and laidback part of SA - the Western Cape. My house has not been burgled yet, my kids walk to school and sport practices, I have a lovely, loyal, honest domestic helper who's been with us for many years. We live in a nice middle class suburb with good neighbours. The weather down here in Cape Town is what I'm used to - I love the cold, wet winters and the South-Easter in summer brings a great relief on hot days and keep the tourists from moving to CT to stay. (They just don't know about all the lovely days that we enjoy during off-peak seasons. ;) )

BUT... I'm not blind for all the changes in our dear country. I have 2 kids who must graduate into the adult world in a couple of years. Both have big dreams for their futures. I have a lot of doubt about whether they will be able to realise their dreams here. :ph34r: I don't want to be left alone out here when (not if) they both move away after school or varsity.

My biggest concerns are that I'll struggle to qualify for PR because I'm over the good age of 45 (just) and I'm a single parent with 2 kids to care for. Will I/we cope? Will I be able to give them the means/opportunities to realise all those big dreams? It's a live-changing decision. Don't know how our forefathers did it without internet, aeroplanes, skype etc.

I've started the process working through the 100 steps list as a guideline. This week-end I'll be attending the Expo in Cape Town. Hopefully I can get some answers there as well.

In the meantime I'll keep on surfing this forum.

:thumbdown:

Go for it Jaxie - I know plenty of single mums that have done it and are here and making it work - dont kid yourself, it wont be a walk in the park...but if you can get a rural sponsor and you get PR straight away - there is good assistance for single mums...

Guest natalie3

Jaxie..I believe that if your heart is telling u to leave (thats the feeling im getting from your post) then make a plan and GO!

I have it on good authority that in a few years varsities will only be accepting previously disadvantaged candidates...so no matter how bright or ambitious your kids are they will just not be able to study in SA!

Then u will have to send them abroad to study and no offence to the wealthy, but most of us could never afford that!..so rather pack your bags and go to oz, where u can share the joy of the varsity years with them!..i think i speak for many on the forum when i say we are all scared and excited at the same time about the new life in oz...but its just that ..a new LIFE...

All the best of luck and enjoy the surfing!

Hi Jaxie,

You know you gotta do it. Sure it aint easy. Age does not matter on a 457. Stay open minded and get that job. You could be there quicker than many of us.

Look forward and not behind - focus towards the positive and the new life.

Roots run deep for me also but its time.

trust in yourself

Jill - your note gave me inspiration too

Edited by Fern

Welcome to the forum. I dont see you having any difficulties coping in Oz, the same skills and determination that enable you to cope here will see you right there. It is difficult to think of making a move when you are not being pressed into it - as you say you are still OK where you live and enjoy a good lifestyle. However you also need to look to the future and do a what if scenario - what if my kids cant get to University, what if they are not eligble for jobs, what if crime reaches my area, what then, can I still cope/survive. That will help you with your decision - Good luck.

Hi Jaxie

The same boat! Been to the Expo in JHB, also hoping for an answer . . . nothing yet! There were a lot of mining companies looking for skilled workers, packers and movers, people from Keringa (pets), etc. Nobody could tell me nothing I did not already know. It pays to surf this forum and all the links! So yes, the Expo was quite disapointing. But that I knew as well, and expected it to be, cause the forumites warned me. But it's good to go, just for in case, well that is why I went.

For us, now, the comfort zone is great, maybe even retiring. But our kids with their future ahead . . . ?

All the best!

Liggie

Hi All,

Just a quick question. Where and when is the EXPO in Cape Town?

I recently became a husband for the first time, and my new bride and I are seriously contemplating our future in this beautiful but flawed land. We are especially worried about our careers and the raising of our children one day. Our comfort zone is also HUGE, not having being victims of crime (yet). As a new husband living in SA I am terrified and paranoid everyday about the well being of my wife, who I obviously care for very deeply.

We have not filed any papers just yet but as I said, we are looking into immigration VERY seriously, so any help regarding the expo will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Johanvn,

The Cape Town expo was last weekend. But don't fret I was there and there weren't too much they could tell me cause most of the info is on this very website.

Just read about it and most info is available, and there are many many friendly and knowledgable people waiting to help us trying to cross-over.

All the best buddy and you've come to the right place

Louw