CA(SA) requires 457

ChristineC

Hi,

I am a South African qualified CA.

I have applied for PR and expect it to be granted by the end of 2008. I am currently in Australia looking at employment opportunities, and the possibility of relocating sooner on a 457 visa.

I completed my articles with Arthur Andersen and have 10 years' experience in the financial services industry at Old Mutual: In corporate accounting and in share option schemes for executive staff. I have already had my qualifications assessed and verified by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia so will be able to work as an accountant (code 2211).

I am in Perth until 1 April and will be in Melbourne thereafter, leaving Australia from Perth on 10 May.

Please contact me if you know of any positions or people that I could contact who may be willing to offer employment on a 457 visa.

Thanks

Christine

Hi,

I am a South African qualified CA.

I have applied for PR and expect it to be granted by the end of 2008. I am currently in Australia looking at employment opportunities, and the possibility of relocating sooner on a 457 visa.

I completed my articles with Arthur Andersen and have 10 years' experience in the financial services industry at Old Mutual: In corporate accounting and in share option schemes for executive staff. I have already had my qualifications assessed and verified by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia so will be able to work as an accountant (code 2211).

I am in Perth until 1 April and will be in Melbourne thereafter, leaving Australia from Perth on 10 May.

Please contact me if you know of any positions or people that I could contact who may be willing to offer employment on a 457 visa.

Thanks

Christine

Hi,

I cant help with the job, but we seem to be on a similar journey so thought we could helpmekaar a bit. I am also a CA, from PE wanting to go to WA. I have about 10 years experience, mainly banking.

I got corresp. from one of the recruitment agencies that it is quite difficult to get 457 visas in Perth, unless you have very specific experience. Mining is big there. Banking jobs are far more likely in Melbourne or Sydney.

Good luck for the job hunting and let me know how it goes !!

Rgds, Gail

Hi Gail,

We've been in Perth for just over 2 weeks and have been very impressed with the city.

Multiple jobs are being advertised on a daily basis, so it should be no problem finding work once you have permanent residency. All the jobs that I have viewed on the web have noted that only people who can legally work in Australia may apply for the position. My understanding in speaking to people is that audit firms and the mining industry are geared up to provide work on a 457 visa.

In the past some recruitment agents used to arrange 457 visas and then outsource the employees to the employers. In Oct 2007 the law changed to require employers to arrange the visas. They now seem to think that it's difficult to do, but we have heard from an employer who has done it that it is quite straightforward. Hopefully the employers will start to see it as an opportunity to have first pick at skilled people before they get a PR visa and can choose from any employer.

It will be interesting to see if the job market is any different in Melbourne.

Regards

Christine

Hi Gail,

We've been in Perth for just over 2 weeks and have been very impressed with the city.

Multiple jobs are being advertised on a daily basis, so it should be no problem finding work once you have permanent residency. All the jobs that I have viewed on the web have noted that only people who can legally work in Australia may apply for the position. My understanding in speaking to people is that audit firms and the mining industry are geared up to provide work on a 457 visa.

In the past some recruitment agents used to arrange 457 visas and then outsource the employees to the employers. In Oct 2007 the law changed to require employers to arrange the visas. They now seem to think that it's difficult to do, but we have heard from an employer who has done it that it is quite straightforward. Hopefully the employers will start to see it as an opportunity to have first pick at skilled people before they get a PR visa and can choose from any employer.

It will be interesting to see if the job market is any different in Melbourne.

Regards

Christine

BTW, may I ask what plans you are making to do the conversion exams?

G

• 2 weeks later...

I've done nothing as yet about the conversion, but it seems a good idea. I've been advised by recruiters to do it. On the other hand, I've heard of/spoken to a couple of people who did not do the conversion and seem to be doing fine without it.