Markets in Melbourne

didl

Hello!

We will be arriving in Melbourne in less than 2 months :) ( as you can see I am counting down). Our tickets are purchased and we are arriving via Dubai with 2 small children. Crazy... but much cheaper.

Untill our containter arrives I would need to get a few things. Can someone advice if there are 2nd hand markets in Melbourne? Can I get a camp cot and mattress still in a good condition? How much can I expect to pay for this? Any other advice regarding the cot is welcomed.

In general are there fresh produce markets in Melbourne ( with veggies, fish, other food?) Do you find it accessible and do you use it?

Thanks!

didl

Hi Didl

Sorry for the late answer, but I have been on leave for 10 days.

There is a huge fresh market in central Melbourne, Queen Victoria Market, here is a link:

http://www.qvm.com.au/home.php

With regard to the 2nd hand cot that you will need, except for a 2nd hand shop, which you may be able to find in the yellow pages, the following link is a weekly newspaper that comes out in which you can find almost anything to buy, 2nd hand as well as new, called 'The Trading Post":

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Default.aspx?state=ALL_STATES

Good luck, if here is anything else, just shout!

Didl, give me a shout when you get here. I have a camp cot which I'm not using. You might have to buy a mattress, but the cot is fine for up to about 18 months. Let me know if you would like to use it.

If not, give me a shout anyway.

Hi Didl

Sorry for the late answer, but I have been on leave for 10 days.

There is a huge fresh market in central Melbourne, Queen Victoria Market, here is a link:

http://www.qvm.com.au/home.php

With regard to the 2nd hand cot that you will need, except for a 2nd hand shop, which you may be able to find in the yellow pages, the following link is a weekly newspaper that comes out in which you can find almost anything to buy, 2nd hand as well as new, called 'The Trading Post":

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Default.aspx?state=ALL_STATES

Good luck, if here is anything else, just shout!

Thanks for the info. Sounds really impressive market.

didl

Didl, give me a shout when you get here. I have a camp cot which I'm not using. You might have to buy a mattress, but the cot is fine for up to about 18 months. Let me know if you would like to use it.

If not, give me a shout anyway.

Thanks for the offer. My boy is alsmost 2 years, so I will not be able to use it.

The temporary furnished accomodation has the option of renting the cot, but its very expencive. I will look into getting the 2nd hand one from somewhere.

Cheers,

didl

Hi Didi

Have alook at www.kidspot.com.au they have a section where you can buy second hand baby and kidstuff. It is actually a great website with soooo much info for and about kids.

Audrey

Hi there,

I know its a bit of a mission, but why don't you bring a camp cot with? That way you don't have to worry about it when you get here.

The airlines don't charge you any extra for prams, car seats and camping cots. When we moved here we brought ours with (left the matress though, and used blankets etc, but I actually wished I rolled it up and also brought it along - as Pickfords nicked it among other things and I could not get the right size here).

I was worried that all our luggage would not fit into our rental car with 2 kids, but it did - with a squeeze - 2 big suitcases, 2 car seats, pram, camping cot, baby bag etc. - you can imagine!!