Unskilled people wanting to emmigrate

Elzette Olivier

Hi there,

I am currently still in South Africa. We own our own shops here and are thinking about emmigrating to Aust. Can anyone tell me what is the possibility of getting jobs on the Aust side if you are not qualified but have run your own businesses for approx. 10 years? Or what the possibility is of opening new shops there and then again what the ups and downs for this may be?

Regards

Elzette

Elzette, there are many opportunities for businesspeople to come and set up business here in Australia. If you have a provien track record (which you have), have had a turnover of more than $300K over the last two years (R2.2mil) and own assets of more than $250K (R1.8 mil) then you can qualify for a state sponsored business owner visa. If you do better than that, then the options become myriad. See here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/pr...isa-options.htm

I'm sure there are many downs (as well as ups). I am not well qualified to advise you on this, because we are not on this visa. It will be very hard work, but there are many who have done it this way. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to advise you :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elizette

Research the requirements for Business Visas (160 and 163 I think) including state/regional sponsorship.

If you meet the required criteria in respect of your existing/South African business it is a relatively easy way to get into Australia, especially if you do not have any qualifications.

We came in on a Business Visa and owned a Coffee Shop (franchise) until we qualified for PR.

I personally know three other families that came in on a Business Visa and bought/ran restaurants until they qualified for PR.

Enjoy!

Manny

• 1 month later...
Hi Elizette

Research the requirements for Business Visas (160 and 163 I think) including state/regional sponsorship.

If you meet the required criteria in respect of your existing/South African business it is a relatively easy way to get into Australia, especially if you do not have any qualifications.

We came in on a Business Visa and owned a Coffee Shop (franchise) until we qualified for PR.

I personally know three other families that came in on a Business Visa and bought/ran restaurants until they qualified for PR.

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi Manny

We have a supermarket in SA, also no qualifications. We do a turnover of R12m p.a, but we do not really have a great nett worth yet. We would probably if we sold our business and houses have R1.5m. That was IF and WHEN we get these sold, it is in the market.

Can you please give me any advise? Is there a specific agency I could get to help me a bit more in detail with this?

Thanks

Annelize

Hi

yep, i suggest you look at going in on a business visa, just investigate it because there are requirements that need to be met.

Dave

We are at the end of the process for a State Sponsored Business visa 163 and awaiting a result any day soon.As for any visa start at the beginning and find out what you qualify for as .On this visa there is a s@*t load of paperwork required and in the beginning it seems daunting so we opted to go through an agent.In retrospect,we could have saved ourselves AD$12000.00 as it is fairly achievable by yourselves.This forum is an excellent medium for information and I wish I had discovered it a 18mths ago.Anyhoo in too deep now so here is my interpretation of the 163.

Annual turnover $300k in a qualifying business (4 years of signed financials)

Nett personal assets $250K (you must have this available to take with you)Houses,savings,investments etc.

Under 55 years of age(main applicant)

State Sponsorship ( you must submit a business plan to the state in which you would like to settle) This should be based on your existing business as it is best to stick to what you know.Forms and guidelines all available on immigration website and very user friendly.

The usual list of personal docs.Unabridged birth certificates for entire family,current passports,national service record if applicable,marriage cert.School certificates for husband and wife(if not in english,need to be translated),all tertiary education,degrees,diplomas etc ditto for translations.Possibly more but cannot think!

IELTS (main applicant only)-waiting list about 4 months apparently

Once you have approval from the state,you then submit your main application for the visa part to Sydney.When we reached this stage,we were appointed a CO after 3 weeks.Then you get asked to do your medicals(whole family) and apply for police clearance.Once you reach this stage,I do not know how long it will take as we are now waiting nut have ben told that a decision will be made by mid-June (We put our app.in around mid Nov 2007)

Good luck and PM me if you need any more help and I can try to assist you.

Shirls

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Manny

We have a supermarket in SA, also no qualifications. We do a turnover of R12m p.a, but we do not really have a great nett worth yet. We would probably if we sold our business and houses have R1.5m. That was IF and WHEN we get these sold, it is in the market.

Can you please give me any advise? Is there a specific agency I could get to help me a bit more in detail with this?

Thanks

Annelize

Hi Annelize

I used an immigration agent (an Aussie from Brisbane) based at the time in Sandton City - Gary Loseby of Gary Loseby and Associates.

Gary prepared and submitted my/our Business Visa application.

Enjoy!

Manny