SEEK.com.au = useless for sponsor SEEKers?

MichaelvdBerg

Hi,

Not sure if this is on the right message board by I was wondering whether any1 has come right by making use of seek.com.au?

I mean they've got like over 1200 jobs in Sydney for C# developers but I get the feeling I'm not going to come right since they only want people who can already work in Oz. So how does one get that little 457?? through and Uncle who knows an cousin, who married a person who knows someone that might feel simpathetic? I hope not :ilikeit:

Anycase...just my little frustrated rant of the day

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MichaelvdBerg

• wislon

• Biker

• SuzanneT

Some members just apply any ways :ilikeit:

Best is to contact employers directly. Search on google and yellow pages to get website addresses and work from there. A lot of us got sponsorships by directly contacting employers.

good luck!

Dont give up..... It took my hubby about a year and applying for every single job he could (visa or not) to get a job in Perth with sponsored 457!!!!!

You just apply, apply, apply oh and did I mention apply for every job u can :ilikeit: .....some where YOUR job is waiting for u.

good luck

:ilikeit:

Lindy-Lee

Dont give up..... It took my hubby about a year and applying for every single job he could (visa or not) to get a job in Perth with sponsored 457!!!!!

You just apply, apply, apply oh and did I mention apply for every job u can :ilikeit: .....some where YOUR job is waiting for u.

good luck

Lindy-Lee

Hi

I got my sponsorship through seek within 6 days of posting my cv for the first time...It is not because I am so special, my cv was just at the right spot at the right time!!! Keep on trying. email them directly, contact them by phone You will get it eventually!!!!

Hi ...

Just keep at it.... I applied for ten jobs in one day on Seek.com and had two offers on the table within 12 hours...yes 12 hours...It must be like a hobby...keep at it it will eventually come...

K.

Well, that is good to hear...damn I applied for about 61 positions over easter. Yes, I don't have much of a life I know :ilikeit: ...

With my luck, I will be posting for quite a while then X(

Hi there

Just don't give up. We didn't apply directly for positions advertised just got the email addresses and then sent a mail saying we want to be in aus asap we need 457 sponsorship and attached is my cv, what do you think my chances are etc. We got replies from almost everyone and if someone didn't reply either positively or negatively we resent. We got a few offers and had to be here within a month of getting the position which was 5 days after senting our cv to that agent.

Make sure you are constantly improving your skills, go on every course you can, learn everything you can, volunteer for every project etc and don't give up.

S

Well, I can't help but feel a bit punched in the stomach about this whole thing. I know I have come quite far in life by getting my honours at Rau and keeping my employers happy but all this makes one doubt whether you are worth the worry :/ .. I just think this whole thing is new to me and scary but I have never given up and won't plan on doing it now.

Don't give up Michael. I'm sure that you'll find a sponsor, you just need to hang in there! Else, if you think you might be doing something wrong, maybe check if your CV is in the right format. We're going to try contacting companies directly when we go over.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Michele

I got my first job through SEEK, so yes, it does happen. It takes time, patience and lots of tenacity, but just keep at it :ilikeit: Apply for anything that looks suited to your skills (and with C#, there shouldn't be a problem) and ignore the fact that they insist that you're a resident - that paragraph is hard coded into the system, so often at the bottom of the ad, the employer will state that they are willing to sponsor.

I'll PM you as well with some more info!

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Michael

Dont take it too hard. It is just the nature of the beast. The market for your skills is now a contract market and so they prefer immidiate starts and dont want to feel like they have any responsibility for the contractor. Its got nothing to do with the quality of your skills.

But make sure you keep applying cos if you are there when that employer is looking for a permanent guy, then you have a chance.

I will ask at my company about sponsorships, but I know that there were quite a few people on the bench so they may not go for it at this time. There is a growing practice at Woolongong, but so far they have not said they will sponsor, but I will ask.

Hang in there!

N.

I have sympathy with you on the job seeking front.

I also registered on there, applied for a few, but in my case it is almost 90% recruitment agencies I had to deal with.

Had 1 interview with company, but they appointed another SA person already there.

Plan B was to go on LCD and have as many interviews as possible, but that plan backfired due to my own stupidity. I had 4 interviews lined up. Ouch!

I have now after 3 months decided to start my 175 application regardless as I'm not going to wait for a possibility of 457. There are pro's and con's to each, but if you planning to stay in OZ you will at some point in the next 4 years have to do a 175 anyway.

Dagse,

Ek het n werk gekry deur seek. Het self die adviteerder gebel. My agent het hulle geregistreer as sponsors. Ons wag nou net vir ons visas.

Het al so bietjie negatief geraak maar ek sien baie mense sukkel met hulle visas. Hoop om binne kort te hoor. Hou moed.Ons gaan Brisbane toe. Ek glo ook dit hang af van watse werk jy doen. Ek is n polisieman met n motorwerktuigkundige ambag.

Groete

Alex

Hi Michael,

Keep at it. Don't get despondent, keep trying. It took me 6 months to eventually find a job sponsor, 3 months of that was getting up and phoning people half a world away at obscene hours of the morning/night. Unlike you, I don't have a IT/CS degree, which already put me at a slight disadvantage, so I've maybe had to work a bit harder at getting it.

As for wondering if they think you are worth the worry, you have to make them think you are! :blink:

C# and 4 years is good (of course!), just about every programmer does it these days. I've been doing it for about 4 or so as well. .net is so helpful and so easy and forgiving that it's easily picked up. As are Sharepoint, SQL Server and things like that as well. Almost everyone has had exposure to them. To me, they are kind of like the MCSE or Novell's CNE. It was gold a decade ago, but these days maybe not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting aspersions on anyone's abilities or skills, but since everyone knows or has done some of what you are doing and are presumably good at, you need to find some way of distinguishing yourself from the pack.

Remember that you (applying from overseas) are competing globally. There's people from China, India, Malaysia, the UK, everywhere all sending in their CVs. As are the Aussies. Some of them (especially from China and India) are probably way hungrier than you are for it. Your CV will sit with many, many hundreds or even thousands for the same job applications.

Make it as pretty as you want, but if a computer is all that's ever going to see it, it doesn't matter. And there's no guarantee that if you submit it online via an ASP.net page that a human ever will. You'll get an automated response saying "thanks, don't call us, we'll call you". And it may be 6 months before you hear anything. If you hear anything.

[The following section may look like a repeat post, but it's for people other than Michael as well...]

If I can give you some free advice (and you'll get immediate feedback):

1. If you see a company advertising instead of an employment agency, contact them, your chances are better there. Recruitment agencies are OK, but there's no real incentive for them to get off their butts and help you specifically.

2. Phone them (take a couple of hours e.g. from 3am to 5am, Mon/Wed/Fri). Get contact details, phone them up, speak to them, and only then send them your covering letter and CV via email to the person you spoke to. It'll take about 10 minutes per call, costs around R1/minute (Telkom off-peak, less if you can use Skype or Skype-out). It guarantees that someone will look at it (and they do get back to you!). This as opposed to just being munched by a computer program and tagged with a bunch of keywords. Along with the other hundred CVs sitting in their database. For that specific job.

3. If you can afford it, go over for a "holiday". Tell them you are coming. There will be a big upsurge of interest because it shows you are serious. They'll be happy to set up interviews. Make a nice covering letter that details your specifics and requirements as well, and send it along with the CV. Customise it before you send it off to put the contact person's name in it somewhere. Makes it more personal, shows them you made the effort.

4. Check out some more of the IT-specific job sites like gurus.com.au and www.jobserve.com (the latter often indicates if they'll accept applications from people seeking sponsorship, it's pure gold). Don't just fire off your CVs to the job applications on these sites, but phone the people too, chat to them, find out what the options are. They may not have a position available for sponsorship, but they may know someone who does. And that kind of info you won't get from an automated response.

5. Download/subscribe to your searches (they can be set up as RSS feeds or email alerts) from these job sites. That way the job alerts come to you instead of you having to look for them. You can put filters on them too to have your RSS/mail client flag them accordingly. I had mine flag every single feed from jobserve that came in with "applications welcome from applicants requiring sponsorship" in it somewhere (sometimes there's subtle wording differences). Lets you cherry pick the ones you should go after first :rolleyes:

6. These people aren't usually going to come to you, even if you do submit your CV online. Always remember you're one of hundreds, if not thousands of people potentially applying for that job. You have to make yourself stand out, and the easiest way is to make a little effort and take the road less travelled. Take comfort from the fact that most people are lazy, they'll just shotgun their CV out to a hundred applications at a time and sit back with their fingers crossed. Been there. Done that. It didn't work.

7. As my mom used to say, "chance favours the well prepared". Ask yourself how badly you want this. Are you prepared to get out of bed at 1am to cold call companies on another continent? It's effing hard to do in the beginning, trust me! Cos there's ten thousand other potential applicants who are. Calling them directly and sending your CV to a specific person helps you "jump the queue". And they get back to you today. Not weeks or months from now. I'd rather have someone tell me right now that I am wasting my time than get an email in 3 months saying "sorry, your application failed" (by which time you've forgotten who/what position you applied for anyway :) ).

8. Check out bigger companies' websites (like Change Corp. or UnisysWest, BHP Billiton, Dialog etc.). A lot of the larger ones have recruitment links on their website that let you send your CV to them directly, without going via a recruitment agency. Or better yet, phone them up, ask to speak to someone in HR, and take it from there. The worst they can say is "sorry, no, not right now" right? :)

Now go out and get it, it's waiting for you! The next one you apply for could be it, never lose sight of that!

Best of luck! :)

P.S. And yes, I got a sponsorship through Seek, albeit indirectly.

Edited by wislon

Thanks very much for all of your advice. I really appreciate it.

I have decided to go and organize my holiday visa and go for a few interviews, that might be the only way for me to knock a sponsor. I have not had a single interview that I didn't get the offer so I need to remember that to fight the waves of despondence :ilikeit:...

In the meantime. Tonight I shall go and identify the companies (not agents) which would be willing to see me and read up on all the tips on interviews posted on this awesome forum.

As Julius Ceasar said "Alea Jacta Est"

Hi

My husband posted his CV on Seek and within a month he got 2 (457) job offers. Maybe you need to seek proffesional help with your CV. Your CV is your only tool you have to sell yourself. A company need to clearly understand your skills. My husband asked a few people to look at his CV and help him to streamline his CV. People like your company HR department will be able to help you. And maybe look at other area as Sydney out our search housing is very expensive in Sydney and if you have children in the other states lik QLD WA VIC SA you will only pay 45 AUD for schoolfees and in NSW more than 4000AUD

I hope my advise help

Hi

I have sent over 100 cv's. Had alot of responses from agencies, but all talk. I am going on Friday to Brisbane for two company interviews and one confirmed agency interview. All the other agencies who were interested are not confirming now that I say I'll be their for a week, next week

My attitude now, go for the interviews that I have got, check Brisbane out and if a get a job, great, if not - then will be their next year on a 176 PR.

Either way - I'll be in Aus next year

Hi,

I know Sydney is an expensive place to settle in initially but I've also noticed that the jobs there pay a bit more than in other places. I've also got another reason to go to Sydney *cough *cough girl *cough :ilikeit:

I think the biggest trick will be for me to get as many interviews for the time I'm over there which would only be in May sometime. Apparently one has to wait about 6 weeks for a holiday visa now because of a major back-log. A colleague of mine who is going over to visit a brother has told me that the Australia High Commission had to hire about 37 more people to get through the waves of applications - scary stuff.

Well, I can see my next few weeks/months as booked on research and more research. Once again, thanks for everyone here!

Michael

That holiday visa processing time is not a rumour.

I also need to resubmit my visa but I cannot as I need it for writing my IELTS in Botswana and at this rate I'll not have it back in time.

I'll fight some more with them tomorrow as I'm already fighting for a refund cause they didn't process my Feb appliaction and I missed my holiday in the process.

Personally I feel the 457's are slowing down a bit in some areas of employment.

My hubby was able to secure a position on a 457 little over a year ago. The way things seem to go at the moment is Engineers and also still tradies. Especially in the Brisbane area.

I would encourage you to Australianise your CV, somewhere on the forum there's a template and I know Duanew has had his done profesionally for something like $240.

Then ...... apply apply apply apply!!

Yeah, I've just paid for that service myself like an hour ago..time to get Australianized - hehe i like that term...

Kevin Rudd has recently opened up 600 000 work visa's for IT alone. because of the massive skills shortage.

any company that declines you means you are either not what they are looking for, or they are just too lazy to go through the process.

Calibrated - that is very interesting news.

Now I'm going to re-harras the 18 agencies I spoke to before.

Kevin Rudd has recently opened up 600 000 work visa's for IT alone. because of the massive skills shortage.

any company that declines you means you are either not what they are looking for, or they are just too lazy to go through the process.

Now that's the kind of news that really perks people up! :lol:

Do you perhaps have a news/internet link? I know there was some k@k late last year and early this year because there was apparently a moratorium on granting new IT 457 visas (something to do with the on-hiring and selling on of skills). Not sure what really happened there and couldn't find anything official about it...

I also heard the same rumor Wislon.

My hubby's dad sent him an email about that, which he got from a family member in Sydney. Said it was in some newspaper. Will ask hubby if he still has the email and will put it on here. But the news about 600 000 works visas is great! :lol:

Ok Wislon, I tracked down the article about the IT 457 visas. It was published in The Australian and you can read it here But now that they are opening up 600 000 visas, it should be ok.

Edited by Michele R