Chicken livers?

Heymanse

Hi everyone,

Me and my family are big fans of chicken livers (preferably the fresh, not frozen kind) and "krummelpap" Now what I'd like to know is, would I be able to get fresh chicken livers in Aus? It might sound like a stupid question, but I don't know what type of food they regard as "afval" and therefore more suited for other purposes like dog food etc. Would I be able to ask a butcher for fresh chicken livers or maybe even buy it at a supermarket like we do here at Pick & Pay & Woolworths? Now the krummelpap (or mealy meal) might be an entirely different story - have heard somewhere that you might get it, don't know exactly where, but that it is very pricy. Maybe someone can confirm that as well.

Much appreciated!

Lurinda

It is not something you will find in the supermarket but ask your local butcher. We've been able to get chicken livers. If you like Nando's chicken liver starter you are in for a disappointment: it is not on the menu here tho there are Nando's restaurants allover Aus.

What..........no chicken livers in Oz.........Iám withdrawing my application immediatly :thumbdown:

Only kidding of course........it's something I will terribly miss !!

I have bought chicken livers in Melbourne from the supermarkets as well as from the butchers, no problem!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I couldn't fathom that I had to be without them ever again, but will live without a lot of things I'm currently used to just for a bit of freedom and security.

You must know that in my entire family, in-laws as well, I'm the chicken liver lady. My niece and my own daughter will not eat anyone else's chicken livers, so at least I'm good at something. :ilikeit:

Chicken livers are available at the supermarkets IGA AND COLES have them.

Enrica,

Ek het nou al opgelet dat jy ken van kos maak. Wil jy nie 'n reseppie plaas van Chicken livers nie? Ek kan net 'n peri peri een maak en ek is lus vir iets anders. Wat van sweet 'n sour?

sal dit waardeer, dankie

Hi Kanidood,

Ek ken a bitjie van kos maak, ek is mos a Italianer. If an Itilian does not know about food, it would be like an Afrikaaner not knowing about biltong of braai!!!!

But , I dont have a receipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken Livers , I can give you one for

Chicken Liver Crostini.

4 slices of ciabbatta bread, or you can use sourdough bread

Olive Oil for brushing the bread

3 cloves of garlic finely sliced or minced

400 - 500 grms chicken livers ( I normally remove the white bits and soak the livers in milk for about 30 minutes)

3-5 anchovy fillets chopped

2 teaspoons capers

3/4 cup of green olives chopped

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary , chopped

1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar

Brush ciabatta with olive oil . Heat char-grill pan, and cook ciabatta for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Heat olive oil in a frying pan over high heat, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until garlic is golden. Add chicken livers and anchovy and cook for 2-3 minutes or until livers are browned evenly, then add capers, olives and rosemary and cook for another minute or until livers are nearly cooked through.

Add balsamic vinegar and stir season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon chicken livers on crostini, drizzle with pan juices and serve immediately.

Fairly easy and very lekker

Edited by enrica

Yum! Thanks, you are a sweety pie.

Edited by Kannidood

I get them all the time and they are only between $2.99 ad $3.99 per kilo. Most fresh food markets and shopping centres in Melbourne that have fresh chicken stalls/shops (not seen them at Lenards though) sell chicken livers. My Mom was blown away when she saw the prices. Also Ox Tongue (which I never buy but my Mom loves) were only about $5.00 each the last time she was here.

Cheers

HB.

Hi Choog,

It's sommer a recipe I make as I go but here is the basic recipe:

Fry one large onion in a bit of margarine or olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add 250g to 300g (or more if you like) fresh chicken livers and add spices like bbq spice/chicken spice, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Fry together until the chicken livers are nice and brown (doesn't have to be fully cooked). Add about 300 - 400 ml of water and cooked covered until the livers are cooked through (approx 5 minutes). Add a bit of water if most have evaporated during the cooking process and add a bit of Bisto - red bottle - to thicken the sauce. Serve with krummelpap or just plain braaipap or even bread. I often go crazy and add bits of bacon and/or mushrooms as well - it goes a loooong way!

Maybe someone already in Aus can tell me if they have something along the lines of "Bisto" that I would be able to use to thicken the sauce?

Enrica, you're recipe looks delicious, I'll definately try it one day.

Cheers for now!

Lurinda

Hi Heyipl

Thanks for your recipe looks good.

there is a thing called Gravox , which is similar to Bisto.............you make gravy with it.

Guest Bronwyn

Why are the chicken livers so cheap? Can you make Chicken Liver Pate with them? Are you sure it's not dog's food, like pets mince???? :blush:

The Chicken Liver Crostini sounds divine Enrica, thanks!

No , its defintly not pets food.

And yes you can make Pate with them.

Most people are just to scared to prepare foods they dont know............

There are a few cuts of meat that are cheap, like lamb necks $1.00 per neck.

That is until it becomes fashionable to eat lamb neck stew!!!!!

And turkey is cheaper than chicken and just as healthy to eat as its white meat.

Sorry, this repeated twice ooops

Edited by enrica

Why are the chicken livers so cheap? Can you make Chicken Liver Pate with them? Are you sure it's not dog's food, like pets mince???? :thumbdown:

The Chicken Liver Crostini sounds divine Enrica, thanks!

'Cos most Aussies don't eat offal so offal is cheap here. Funny thing is they'll eat Pate but don't want to know how its made. I do have one Aussie friend who makes Pate and mostly uses chicken livers. You can get goose liver at the big markets but this is more expensive as most restauranteurs buy it.

Livers are also very good with coucous, polenta, and risotto.

Just fry off your livers, be careful not to over cook them as it doesnt take very long....

Coucous - just add fresh (proper) chicken stock and when ready throw over some fresh herbs.

Polenta - cook with milk, and when finished threw in some butter and grated parmesan.

Risotto - again, use decent chicken stock, and towards the end add ->cream, grated parmesan, semi-crisp bacon, roasted baby leeks.

And dont forget to season everything.

Soet / Suur Lewertjies

Braai uie in botter of margarien

Knoffel flokkies (na smaak) ek gebruik 1 eetlepel vol

1x250g Hoender lewer (Braai tot goed gaar) Ek sny myne kleiner in die pan as dit gaar is)

Sous

Meng die volgende saam en voeg dan by gebraaide lewertjies......

5 eet lepels - Asyn

4 eet lepels - water

3 eet lepels - suiker

1 eet lepel - appelkoos konfyt

1 eet lepel - Bisto

1 tee lepel - Koekmeel blom / Mezina

1/2 - 1 tee lepel - "Mild" Kerrie poeier (gelyk vol)

knippie sout

As sous te dik - gooi water by

Sous te din - voeg nog Bisto/Mazina by

Pas die hoeveelheid asyn en suiker van sous aan na smaak

Dien op saam met Macaroni & Witsous - (meng witsous met die Macaroni) Dis hoe my kinders dit eet

Groete

Riëtte

Edited by Josua Riëtte KIDS

Guest natalie3

Im also saying WOW at the lamb neck price!!!

I wanted to make a leg of lamb for sunday but was just not prepared to pay R72 per Kg for it!!!!!

Im shocked at what meat is costing now..i dont know how the poor manage to eat!!!!..even chickenlivers cost around R26 per kg...and thats offal..so i reckon im going to have to resort to soya mince eventually...