Tracey: Been at this for 5 years!

Tracey

I've been on my way to Oz for the last 5 years :ilikeit: So many obstacles & events along the way that have forced me to put these plans on hold... hopefully this time it will all matetrialze (and the wait has been worth it?)... I have always believed in fate & I choose to believe that I was not meant to be living in Oz up until now. Things appear to be "falling into place" and it just feels like the right time...

I am looking at getting a 457 visa through my current employer and applying for PR once settled & working in Oz. I'm an IT Project Manager with over 9 years of experience in the industry - hopefully this counts for something???? The process has just started & I don't expect an offer to come in overnight. I am also going through the motions of applying for jobs through the usual Oz job sites (as many of you have recommended - don't worry too much about the "right to work in Oz" bit). I don't have my heart set on a particular city, but my sister & her family live in Brissie and it would of course be great to have the support of some family - I'll be tackiling this whole experience on my own!!! :blush: I've been on about 4 trips to Oz for LSD's... been to most of the cities & would not be fussed with living in most of them. They're ALL GREAT!!!

I've found extremely helpful information on this forum & will most certainly be posting some questions of my own. I look forward to"chatting" with you ALL!!!

Hi Tracey

May I say welcome! Wow, 5 years, you are one determined lady! I hope it all works out for you this time. We live in Melbourne, and like everybody else thinks of their city, I think it is the best.

I can understand you wanting to be in Brisbane, close to your family, that would be a heaven sent opportunity, family are very important in this scheme of things!

Mara

Hi Tracey,

A girl with grit and guts - now that sounds familiar :ilikeit:

As a suggestion - get in touch with Rialet and Shandell (use the PM function maybe) as I think they have recruitment links in QLD and might be able to help out or point you in the right direction. With 9 years in IT Project management, I would be suprised if you struggle for too long.

thanks for introducing yourself and I'll see you around!

Love

Ajay

Hi Tracey,

We first started to entertain the idea of emigration about 6 years ago and due to a number of incidents during the last year of our life in South Africa, it became a necessity for us and here we are : 21 months & happily counting! :ilikeit: Doing it all on your own, however may take a lot more guts and determination and I take my hat off to you for taking the plunge on your own - you go girl!! Having family close to you in Australia (especially in the early days) is a BIG bonus!

Good luck to you and may all go well!! :) Shout if you need any help!!

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey Tracey,

Welcome to our forum !! Well, once you have survived the process and come out the other end, I think we will have to make you the Forum Immigration Guru, as I don't think anyone else has spent this much time on moving elsewhere. As a Saffer in IT with solid experience, I can't imagine you having much trouble finding work and possibly even a choice of places to go. Good luck ! Hope things will kick into gear from here on.

Love

Sunshine Sista

:ilikeit:

Hi Tracey, and welcome!

I know the feeling - I've started the "planning" stage in 2000, when my brother and family emigrated. No ways was I going to let him bring up his kids without the influence of their wicked aunt!

Since then I've investigated, contemplated and discarded the following options: skilled independant (was much younger then!) student (discarded when the time period changed from one to two years) and business owner (SARB restrictions far too heavy at the time). We have finally submitted our application as Skilled Aussie Sponsored and now the long wait is on. Hopefully we'll be in Perth next year sometime.

You should have no problem finding work in your field with your experience, and I believe that all the time we've spent "contemplating" our move has meant that we have a little more knowledge of what to expect when we get there. Also, I think its better to settle where your family is - why not take advantage of a ready made support system?

I'm sorry, I tend to ramble quite a lot, good luck and let us know what happens.

Cindylou

Hi Tracey!

As the Aussies will say: "Good on ya, mate!"

It is good to hear things are falling in place for you now. We'll be holding thumbs for you! :unsure:

Don't be discouraged if things sometimes don't go your way. We had been thinking of going to Australia since 1995. I knew it had been a long time dream of ours, but when we started clearing out for our move here, we found brochures and letters dated 1995! It took 10 years for our dreams to come true, although we only spent about two of those actively working on it. The rest was spent hoping, wishing and dreaming. As they say, if you want your dreams to come true, you have to wake up first!

Enjoy the journey,

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Tracey,

Good luck with it all, on the positive side I think with all your "involvement" with OZ you'd be able to go into it with more knowledge and experience of the options at hand.

I'm sure it will work out for you this time!

Brissie BUG

Thanks all for the encouragement & advice... :ilikeit: I'm gobsmacked at the fantastic response I've had so far!!!! If I'd had this kind of help from year 1 then I may well have been in Oz loooong ago already!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey girl

Just an official welcome to our forum and hope you get all the advice and support you need here.

Keep us up to date on you visa & job progess and your babies, would love to see some pics. They must be so cute!

Luv

D